Frustrated

Options
So I have been working out about 3 months now between 4 and 5 days a week. I eat between 1200 and 1600 calories on average. i've lost approximately 30lbs (some before I started mfp) and I seem stuck at 165. i have increased my workout regiment but don't seem to be losing anymore. not discouraged just frustrated.
any ideas?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have more patience and stop being so hard on yourself. You've lost 30 pounds in 3 months! That's awesome!

ETA: Frankly, I'm a bit worried about your calorie intake. Please try to keep it closer to netting 1600, not 1200. That's way too low for a guy.

How long have you been 'stuck'? Are you weighing/measuring your food? More accurate logging might help.
  • singingdispatch100
    singingdispatch100 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been stuck for about a month. i weigh and measure everything. i'm a numbers guy so i like to be as exact as possible.
    I'm trying to lose about seventy more pounds by january next year for my wedding.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything you eat? Something I noticed while quickly browsing over the last several days of your diary is a complete lack of fruits and vegetables. Now I know some people hate them but usually folks trying to eat better have at least a couple servings a day. If you're actually eating these things, you need to make sure you including them in your logging as well.

I also noticed that you get a ton of sodium in and not a whole lot of water. While high sodium may not be an issue due to your activity level, it may be causing some water retention so that you're not seeing a loss on the scale. Try eating more fresh, home made foods.
  • MyFitnessMyWellness
    Options
    you may not be eating enough... as silly as that sounds you may need more food (healthy of course :)) ... if you body gets used to eating the same amount of calories it will plateau, and if you are eating too few it will go into starvation mode and hold onto any fat you are trying to loose
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    schultz15 wrote: »
    you may not be eating enough... as silly as that sounds you may need more food (healthy of course :)) ... if you body gets used to eating the same amount of calories it will plateau, and if you are eating too few it will go into starvation mode and hold onto any fat you are trying to loose

I'm sorry this is not true. There is no such thing as starvation mode.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OP, I think it is a matter of you eating more than you think. You have a lot odd entries that leave me to believe you are not weighing everything. You have homemade items, are they yours?
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you are not "stuck". Do you take your measurements? Many reach a point where they start to lose inches and hold at a certain weight for awhile....but become stronger and more efficient. Could this be where you are? I am not sure what a realistic weight for your height/ age/ gender is, but the closer you get the harder it gets and more work it takes (so not fair). I would suggest looking at your ratio of carb/protein/fat. It may be as simple as switching up the foods you eat. Veggies and lean meats really seem to cut weight for me. It is hard to not lose weight eating like a bunny!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Do you wear an HRM for the cardio, and is it properly calibrated? You're logging some pretty massive burns, and if MFP's definition of vigorous cycling is different than yours, you may not be burning as much as you think you are. I also don't usually log things like cooking and cleaning because they're in my pre-exercise TDEE - are you set to sedentary?

You say you weigh and measure everything, but I see a lot of things on here that don't have servings in weight, like the pizza you had this week... Is that a recipe you entered, or did you pull that from the database? If I were you, I'd go through and make sure your numbers really are accurate - it seems very possible you're underestimating your calorie intake and overestimating your burns. It is a little weird you haven't lost at all - based on those numbers, even with inaccuracies, I'd think you'll still be losing slowly. I suppose it's possible you're losing slowly + masking your loss with water retention from sodium.

If you don't get the answers you need from this thread, I'd suggest looking into this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress There's a lot of valuable information in those posts, and if you still need more answers there's a bunch of extremely knowledgeable people who can help you out.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    schultz15 wrote: »

Starvation mode is a myth. Search google for "starvation mode myth" and go to first link.

But as you lose weight your body will make it harder to lose more weight; this is true.

Recommend increasing protein intake as percentage of your diet and lifting weights. You will achieve leaner physique without needing to lose weight.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    So I have been working out about 3 months now between 4 and 5 days a week. I eat between 1200 and 1600 calories on average. i've lost approximately 30lbs (some before I started mfp) and I seem stuck at 165. i have increased my workout regiment but don't seem to be losing anymore. not discouraged just frustrated.
    any ideas?

Please tell me this is a typo. You are stuck at 265, not 165, right? With 70 more pounds to lose, you must mean 265.

If you do weigh 265 you definitely should be losing if eating only 1600 calories a day! Do you mean you are netting 1600? If that's it, and you are positive you are weighing all solid foods and logging accurately, I'd guess you are overestimating your burn from exercise and eating too many calories back. This is especially true if you think you are netting only 1200. Just no way possible for a 265 pound man to NOT lose at 1200.