Delayed onset muscle soreness

Options
I got DOMS since yesterday
Did my first gym session on sunday. Science tells me that i should wait till it subsides bu I also read lots of people to go through the pain and come back for more any thoughts??

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I usually do a lighter workout or walk to ease some of the soreness.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    What "science" says to wait until DOMS subsides?

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You really should at least do light stretching.
  • dominicgamutan
    dominicgamutan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pu
    AliceDark wrote: »

Putting "" on science makes it seem like you're mocking me somehow.(just my opinion)

here's a link on one of them http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=966012
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Try some light stretching or some walking. I always find that moving around helps the soreness.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Pu
    AliceDark wrote: »

Putting "" on science makes it seem like you're mocking me somehow.(just my opinion)

here's a link on one of them http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=966012
    Not mocking you -- my question is grammatically confusing without the quotation marks.

I don't see anything in that post that says that you need to wait until DOMS is gone before working out again. (Full disclosure -- I just read the part included on the BB.com forum; I didn't click on the link).

Most people who work out regularly have to do so with some degree of DOMS. It can just take too long for it to fade entirely. Working out even helps you feel better when you are sore. That said, while you can work out while you're still feeling DOMS, you shouldn't push through pain that's caused by actual injury. Until you can tell the difference between DOMS and injury, err on the side of caution.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    From the cited article:

"Initially, you should avoid any vigorous activity that increases pain, though you may work the unaffected areas of your body. By exercising unaffected areas or by performing low-impact aerobic activities such as biking or walking at a moderate pace, blood flow can be increased to the affected muscles, which may help diminish soreness.

Other measures include applying ice, gently stretching, and massaging the affected muscles, which may be helpful for some people and poses little risk if done sensibly. Also, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin or ibuprofen may reduce the soreness temporarily, though they won't actually speed healing. These medications are available over the counter, and they can be prescribed by physicians in greater strengths. And there is some evidence that vitamin C may decrease soreness.

Finally, you should allow the soreness, weakness, and stiffness to subside thoroughly before vigorously exercising the affected muscles again, and don't forget to stretch and warm up before your targeted activity. If your pain persists longer than about 7 days or increases despite these measures, consult your physician."

Note this doesn't say "wait until it subsides". It's says "avoid any vigorous activity that increases pain". With normal DOMS, a light workout, even of the affected area, will decrease pain -- DOMS responds well to getting the affected area warmed up and working again. If it hurts worse even after warming up, it's probably not DOMS, and you need to back off.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just keep going. Can't let a little soreness bring me down. Pile on the pain. :s
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My DOMS have never went away. One part of my body is almost always sore, but I also do a 4 day split focusing on different body parts so I'm not going to go in the next day and beat up my quads again. If I waited for all my soreness to go away I'd never get anything done.

Now if I have a tweak or something feels...pinchy. I give it a rest.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do stretching for the sore muscle, and workout other muscle groups. Your muscle needs adequate recovery time to grow.
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    Thanksguys and alicedark I wasnt angry or anything it was just an observation :P
  • dominicgamutan
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    From the cited article:

"Initially, you should avoid any vigorous activity that increases pain, though you may work the unaffected areas of your body. By exercising unaffected areas or by performing low-impact aerobic activities such as biking or walking at a moderate pace, blood flow can be increased to the affected muscles, which may help diminish soreness.

Other measures include applying ice, gently stretching, and massaging the affected muscles, which may be helpful for some people and poses little risk if done sensibly. Also, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin or ibuprofen may reduce the soreness temporarily, though they won't actually speed healing. These medications are available over the counter, and they can be prescribed by physicians in greater strengths. And there is some evidence that vitamin C may decrease soreness.

Finally, you should allow the soreness, weakness, and stiffness to subside thoroughly before vigorously exercising the affected muscles again, and don't forget to stretch and warm up before your targeted activity. If your pain persists longer than about 7 days or increases despite these measures, consult your physician."

Note this doesn't say "wait until it subsides". It's says "avoid any vigorous activity that increases pain". With normal DOMS, a light workout, even of the affected area, will decrease pain -- DOMS responds well to getting the affected area warmed up and working again. If it hurts worse even after warming up, it's probably not DOMS, and you need to back off.
    From the cited article:

"Finally, you should allow the soreness, weakness, and stiffness to subside thoroughly before vigorously exercising the affected muscles again, and don't forget to stretch and warm up before your targeted activity. If your pain persists longer than about 7 days or increases despite these measures, consult your physician."

I think Its in the part where it starts with finally.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Walking, stretching, yoga always helps me with DOMS So does drinking plenty of water. Good Luck
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I may suggest that you alternate your workouts depending on what your goals are. I used to do a routine where I alternate upper and lower body routines ie.

Mon = Chest and Back
    Tue = Legs
    Wed = Core
    Thurs = Bi/Tri Shoulders
    Fri = Lite full body
    Sat/Sun = Rest or Some Cardio

Saw some pretty decent results, but to each their own.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My DOMS have never went away. One part of my body is almost always sore, but I also do a 4 day split focusing on different body parts so I'm not going to go in the next day and beat up my quads again. If I waited for all my soreness to go away I'd never get anything done.

Now if I have a tweak or something feels...pinchy. I give it a rest.

Hahaha.....yep....same here.... :D

• NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always work through it if it's minor. Though I don't do arms and chest two days in a row if they are really achy.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Stretch/ foam roller, pop a couple of ibuprofen, take a soak in Epsom salts, rehydrate... Good to go again. Just don't overdo it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    From the cited article:

From the cited article:

"Finally, you should allow the soreness, weakness, and stiffness to subside thoroughly before vigorously exercising the affected muscles again, and don't forget to stretch and warm up before your targeted activity. If your pain persists longer than about 7 days or increases despite these measures, consult your physician."

I think Its in the part where it starts with finally.

I think the operative word there is "vigorously" which was also the operative word in the first part.