Having a really hard time doing this......

Options
Hi everyone, looking for some help.

A couple things. For about 2 years, I counted carbs not calories and was really successful getting to my goal weight. Then, life happened (I have one very troubled teenager) and I started eating and skipping the gym. After consulting a nutrition councellor, she mentioned that I should start eating carbs (rice, whole wheat bread etc) and doing a "cleanse" to start it out - that was in sept. I have gained about 15lbs since I stopped counting carbs. I still workout regularily at the gym (both cardio and strength training and I play soccer 1-2x per week).
In December (i think) I started counting calories and recording everything that goes into my mouth. I am under my count almost everyday (under 1400 cals) and I exercise a minimum of 45 minutes everyday (power walking my two gigantic dogs). I am still gaining and losing the same 2 lbs.
In your opinions, should I go back to low carb and lose it again or stick to the calorie counting?

This is just so defeating! :brokenheart:

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, looking for some help.

A couple things. For about 2 years, I counted carbs not calories and was really successful getting to my goal weight. Then, life happened (I have one very troubled teenager) and I started eating and skipping the gym. After consulting a nutrition councellor, she mentioned that I should start eating carbs (rice, whole wheat bread etc) and doing a "cleanse" to start it out - that was in sept. I have gained about 15lbs since I stopped counting carbs. I still workout regularily at the gym (both cardio and strength training and I play soccer 1-2x per week).
    In December (i think) I started counting calories and recording everything that goes into my mouth. I am under my count almost everyday (under 1400 cals) and I exercise a minimum of 45 minutes everyday (power walking my two gigantic dogs). I am still gaining and losing the same 2 lbs.
    In your opinions, should I go back to low carb and lose it again or stick to the calorie counting?

This is just so defeating! :brokenheart:
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    My stepmom can count all the cals she wants but unless she cuts back on the carbs she won't lose. Some bodys process carbs differently than others. If my step mom eats too many carbs she'll feel tired and run down and gain weight. Ever since she cut back on carbs shes lost 25 lbs and has a lot more energy. Everyones body reacts differently to everything. If cutting carbs works for you then do it! When things get hard and you want the carbs try going for the whole gains and STAY AWAY from enriched flour!!! There are a lot more options for people trying to cut back on carbs now! So, anyway in mt unprofessional opinon I would say you are one of the people whos bodies process carbs very poorly. Cut back for a while and see how you feel, if it doesn't help, then try doing both carbs and cals! Good luck!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that you should do what works for you.
    It sounds like your body does not like carbs...OR it likes them enough to keep them. :noway:
    hince the weight gain.
    I would cut out the rice. Unless it is brown and then only a little. 1/4 cup is more then enough.
    And if you are going to eat bread, make SURE it is 100% WHOLE WHEAT without "ENRICHED FLOUR" in it. (However it takes some doing finding one.) A lot of people are not aware of this but,
    That means that they took out the good stuff and left the not as good stuff.
    Also if it says ENRICHED FLOUR on it I bet you that right next to it (or not to far away.)
    are the words CORN SYRUP. Another No No in the fight to lose weight.
    Enriched flour and corn syrup increase our glycose levels, and really mess with your metabolism.
    Then if you are eating your whole wheat bread, have a slice as a serving, Not two slices. just one.
    I would however increase your fruits and veggies. :smile: and stay away from mashed potatoes as much as possible.
    --Diann
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    I have done the no/low carb thing before and had fantastic results. Now I am using this site, but I have changed my goal settings so that I can also watch my carbs. I try and stay between 60-90 carbs perday and I get those from whole wheat and fruits like apples and pears. Good luck, I know you can do it!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    The low carb thing worked for a while with me but then for months I stayed around the same weight. I have found that a low calorie and low carb diet works best for my body. Carbs don't do my body good...at all. But eating a boat load of cheese does not help it either. I am still trying to find that happy medium. Just keep trying different foods and see what your body responds to.