Replacements for salty/crunchy snacks?

Options
Sweets have never been an issue for me to stay on track with but I can not get enough of salty foods! Chips, nachos & salsa, popcorn, etc. Is there anything healthier out there that will give me the crunch & the flavour I crave??

Replies

• sydneycampb3ll
    sydneycampb3ll Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've considered rice cakes or if they're out of the question for you, but they're crunchy and can be salty depending on what flavor you buy! I know some people think they taste/feel like styrofoam, but for whatever reason I really like the texture and that flavor has always appealed to me (plain white rice, plain rice cakes, even the holy bread at church, lol).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is easy - get the unsalted kind. :)

If you like rice cakes, they're crunchy and can be found unsalted. Special K makes a less unhealthy version of potato chips called Cracker Chips. At first, I used grapes instead of chips with a sandwich. Sometimes I will sit with a bag of shredded lettuce, if I just want mindless munching.

Once you've lowered your sodium for a while, there's a really good chance that you won't like the salty stuff as much. Happens to a lot of people. :)
  • jenfigmar
    Options
    Try nuts. I recently bought pistachios for the first time. I loved them! Also try your own recipes for "chips." I've seen many recipes of "chips" made with vegetables. I've seen kale, carrots, potatoes, spinach, and more. The thing is that they are homemade, since you control the ingredients and the amount of salt and all that. Search on pinterest, you'll find tons!
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They do feel like Styrofoam, but I still like them xD
  • juliedee20
    juliedee20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love salty and crunchy foods, too, and popcorn is my favorite! I will probably get a lot of flack from admitting that I pop it in oil (safflower) but I'm trying to stay away from pre-packaged foods and I just can't do the air popper thing. I put a little sea salt on it and it's awesome! No butter needed!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Sweets have never been an issue for me to stay on track with but I can not get enough of salty foods! Chips, nachos & salsa, popcorn, etc. Is there anything healthier out there that will give me the crunch & the flavour I crave??
    Pop Chips (120 calories a bag) popped potato chips
    Pretzels ( you can get newmans own they have protein and fiber)
    Soy nuts
    Roasted chickpeas (spray a drained can of chickpeas with spray cooking oil, add spices you like, roast in 350 oven until crispy.)
    Roasted seaweed snacks very low calorie, salty and ful lof iodine

• JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    @juliepunchak I do the same thing! Its great
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    pork rinds -- as discuss in another thread B)
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Celery, cucumber, carrots. I chop them into popcorn sized pieces.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

jenfigmar wrote: »
    Try nuts. I recently bought pistachios for the first time. I loved them!

Nuts are delicious but be careful because they are calorie dense. A quarter cup, i.e. a handful (about 28g), typically has around 170 calories.