I want the BEST tips to help with speeding up weight loss!

Options

Replies

• JenniferTravis9
    JenniferTravis9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    minamu68 wrote: »
    If you reduce your caloric intake too much, you can mess with your metabolism and send your body into starvation mode, where it thinks it needs to store everything because it's starving.

No.

Not really.

Not at all in the way you are thinking, at all, actually.

Please elaborate! Thanks!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Your food Diary for the past week looks pretty good. Use a food scale to weigh foods.
    Eat back at least 50% of the Calories you burn from cardio. That is, if you earned 150 extra Calories burned from cardio, add (or "eat back") at least 75 Calories in food.
    Learn to search the food database for non-asterisk entries, especially for vegetables and fruits - in the format of "vegetable - raw" or "fruit - raw." Take a look at my Diary for examples, it goes back for 500+ days and is open.
    Good luck!

WOW! How do you manage to concoct those meals? Lol! You must shop EVERYDAY for you produce to be fresh! I have 4 kids so everyday shopping is nearly impossible! And I see you are using some of the "sugar-free" products, I was never able to use that avenue as I am highly allergic to Aspartame and Saccharine. But I def envy your ability to have all that yummy produce in a day! I wld LOVE to be able to do that! :smile:

I don't understand...fresh produce will keep in the fridge. I have children too, we shop once a week and there are always loads of apples, oranges, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc. in my house.

• JenniferTravis9
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what answers you wanted to hear...you got some solid answers here. The only way to lose weight is to monitor your calories and keep an appropriate deficit. Yes, liquid calories too.
    Fast weight loss is often unsustainable weight loss. It can be a test of patience (believe me, I know), but slow and steady is much more sustainable and sanity-preserving.

Edit: wait, why are 2 solid, informative answers flagged? Something is fishy

Thanks Emily! ;) And I didnt flag anything, I HATE when people do that. Everyone has a right to post and I have not seen anything inappropriate!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I think the flags are most likely mistakes from people swiping too quickly on their smart phones and it pops up and gets tapped by mistake. That happened to me once, and at the time, I didn't know I could go back and take away the flag. No big deal.

• JenniferTravis9
    Options
    _KitKat_ wrote: »
    Not one reply told you to eat less, they were just stating the general rule. Calories in vs calories out. There is a difference between your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and exercise burn. Your TDEE is your BMR (basil or basic metabolic rate) plus anything in addition to being alive and having organ function, such as walking to the bathroom or lifting a child and yes exercise.

The reason they are saying to eat exercise calories back (not all because of over estimations) is because mfp already configured your goal with the deficient you wanted. Not eating them back causes the deficient to be too large and make it unhealthy.

I am 5'4" and started at 180lb my BMR was 1450 calories a day.....remember that is an estimate of what my body needed to stay alive and keep my organs and brain healthy without waking up and getting out of bed. Eating 1200 and burning 300 nets you 900 calories per day. This is a perfect recipe for hair loss, fatigue, scattered thinking and major health concerns.... It is also not maintainable longterm and without learning proper portion control, it is a near guarantee for the weight to return plus more. Also the muscle loss will only lead to a smaller flabbier body.

Sodium holds water, high sodium weekend I weigh 7lbs over my low on Monday, it is gone by Tuesday or Wednesday...I did not lose real weight. If weight loss stalls for an extended period 3-4 weeks (with over 10-15lbs to lose), it is a math issue.... Somewhere the numbers are wrong.

Also phentermine is in the amphetamine family. The first 10lbs was likely water weight (dehydrates you) and the other 20 were muscle and fat. The reason it works is because it suppresses appetite, you may not have realized but you did eat less. It also causes hyper activity and puts the body I'm fight or flight mode, you burned more also. Read up on the drug, that is how it is suppose to work and why it does.

I mean all of this to help, but the forums are filled with posts like these.... It is always a math issue at the core. Be patient and eat under TDEE, you will lose weight.

Something to keep in mind weight fluctuations happen hourly. I weigh more every night and less in the morning.... I do not lose weight while I sleep. My average fluctuation is 3-4lbs. Hormones, digestion, sodium, water and workout all contribute. Consider a liter of water, it weighs 2.2lbs....if I chug one I will weigh 2.2lbs immediately following until I expel the it.

Thank you! That is a great response! And yes, I read up on the Phentermine. I have friends who have been on it long term and are down 80 and 100 pounds! It gave me a LOT of energy but I also ate nearly nothing! I was less healthy while on it and prefer to lose weight the old fashioned way! ;)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If you reduce your caloric intake too much, you can mess with your metabolism and send your body into starvation mode, where it thinks it needs to store everything because it's starving.

No.

Not really.

Read This

• JenniferTravis9
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Your food Diary for the past week looks pretty good. Use a food scale to weigh foods.
    Eat back at least 50% of the Calories you burn from cardio. That is, if you earned 150 extra Calories burned from cardio, add (or "eat back") at least 75 Calories in food.
    Learn to search the food database for non-asterisk entries, especially for vegetables and fruits - in the format of "vegetable - raw" or "fruit - raw." Take a look at my Diary for examples, it goes back for 500+ days and is open.
    Good luck!

WOW! How do you manage to concoct those meals? Lol! You must shop EVERYDAY for you produce to be fresh! I have 4 kids so everyday shopping is nearly impossible! And I see you are using some of the "sugar-free" products, I was never able to use that avenue as I am highly allergic to Aspartame and Saccharine. But I def envy your ability to have all that yummy produce in a day! I wld LOVE to be able to do that! :smile:

I don't understand...fresh produce will keep in the fridge. I have children too, we shop once a week and there are always loads of apples, oranges, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc. in my house.

We shop a few times a week. We have a household of 8 as my folks are living with us as well. We DO buy a lot of fresh produce, but if you look at his log you can see, it is A LOT of produce! If we bought enough to feed our entire family of 8 all te items he had listed for one day we would not have fridge room for anything else. I did not mean we do not have or buy produce!
  • JenniferTravis9
    Options

No.

Not really.

Read This

Thanks!
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think the flags are most likely mistakes from people swiping too quickly on their smart phones and it pops up and gets tapped by mistake. That happened to me once, and at the time, I didn't know I could go back and take away the flag. No big deal.
    Saw this and figured maybe it was me. Nope instead I flagged you #2 but I erased it. Sorry o:)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you reduce your caloric intake too much, you can mess with your metabolism and send your body into starvation mode, where it thinks it needs to store everything because it's starving. Follow the recommendations on the site, using a realistic goal of 1-2 lbs. lost per week, depending on how much you have to lose.

No as to metabolism and starvation mode.

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options

I guess I have become so accustomed to my daily diary that I do not realize that it looks somewhat overwhelming at first glance. I have been at this for over a year and a half and have kind of fallen into a habit of a large salad for lunch and a large protein frozen-fruit smoothie for a late afternoon snack (logged in the lunch meal). I do live within a ten-minute walk of three grocery stores, and my gym is right next to the closest grocery store, so I can, and do, pop in the one next to my gym anytime I need to - that is one of the benefits of living in an urban area.

I buy vegetables that I know keep for a long time in the crisper drawer or out on the shelf. I really only buy grape tomatoes because they last longer than large tomatoes. It really only takes me ten minutes to make my salad. I put the bowl on the scale, tare it, cut up 30g of one vegetable, tare the scale, cut up 30g of another, repeat, ad nauseam - it is strangely therapeutic. For the fruit, I slice/cube the fruit and freeze in plastic bags. When I make the smoothie, I just pull out bags of four or five fruits and tare the blender, add 60g or 30g of fruit, repeat.

On the weekends, I cook large pots of my mother's recipes, slightly modified with no added oils, half the meat, and three times the vegetables she would use and then freeze in small containers.

This has become part of the way I operate now that I have lost the weight and have been maintaining for just over a year.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My best tip is not to be in a hurry, but to aim for a sustainable, steady weight loss.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Add some resistance/strength training to your workout. An hour on the treadmill is a LOT, and at your low-calorie intake, without eating back your exercise calories, you are likely losing quite a bit of muscle mass along with fat. Don't weigh so much, but note how your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror. Also note how much easier your wee ones are to lift and carry, how a 40 pound bag of topsoil or cat litter just floats into your shopping cart with no strain....fall in love with getting stronger and the fat will take care of itself.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    BTW, just a side note, I did not gain the weight from eating too much or being lazy. I used to drink a lot of soda every day and drink beer. I have nixed those items and am just working on the weight it left me with. I accept responsibility for the weight gain and would like to get rid of this yucky reminder of my previous bad habits!

I lost weight easily after each of my first 3 children, and though I did not gain much while pregnant with my 4th, post pregnancy I only continued to gain weight even while nursing and working out. All which led to depression, hence the soda addiction and later the beer. Just all honesty out there, my weight gain was probably 80% liquid weight gain alone! All those calories and sugar! It's not always a food issue people! Or simply being lazy! Liquid calories can pack on!
    So if the liquid calories were responsible for your weight gain and no you stopped drinking them shouldn't you be losing weight?

RIGHT?!?!? That is what I am saying! My sister drinks and says every time she stops drinking for a few weeks she drops like 20lbs! Just from not drinking! Like soda or alcohol! So I would think that the habit change alone would be helping me to drop weight. Adding in the fact I have worked harder to eat 1200 calories a day and get the nutrients I need as well as exercising an hour a day, one would think I would be melting off the weight, which has simply not been the response my body is giving me.

As I stated in another reply, I lost weight easily after my children. Until the last one! THE WEIGHT DIDNT BUDGE AFTER I HAD HER! I was nursing and going to the gym 5 days a week and only continued to gain weight! And no not muscle! My pants wouldnt fit! This was 4 months into my routine and still was putting on weight! My youngest is now 4 and I am 10lbs heavier than the last day I was pregnant with her. This is years of yoyo'ing! :(

Have you been to the doctor to ask? Sometimes after a pregnancy things change in your body. You said that have thyroid issues, do you know if you have a gluten intolerance or some other type of issue that may be keeping the pounds from coming off? This happened with my sister and after she found she had an intolerance to gluten, she has started shedding the pounds (at a relatively normal rate) where she could literally exercise and cut calories all day without any loss and sometimes gain before. Just an idea.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    when it comes to weight loss and fitness, shortcuts dont work and fast is the least smart way to go about it.

what you want is slow, sustainable and committed.

we're changing our lives. we want to take time with that so it doesnt turn out to be a disaster and we have to start over lol.

I consider myself a masterpiece, not a round of pictionary <3

best of luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    work hard.
  • Tracey7396
    Options
    Does your treadmill have an incline? If yes, add a bit of incline to that walk. Start small & add an extra % each week or so. Starting small & adding as you go, you won't even notice the change while talking but you'll burn more calories. I feel, it is all about bang for your buck!
    Best Wishes & Keep up the good work!!
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Add weight training to your regime, incorporate interval training into your cardio workout (can you cycle? Try spinning if it doesn't hurt your knee), and if you're really trying to lose more quickly for a specific goal (say, vacation), eat fewer carbs (though I wouldn't recommend doing this long term).
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Best Advice - Get a VO2 test and see a nutritionist. VO2 test tells you the optimum heart rate you should be at for burning fat and not sugar. To high and you are burning sugar, which just makes you hungrier. Other than that, expect plateaus while losing weight and dont freak out and quit when they happen.