1/10th of the way to my goal :)

Options
I've been a big guy all my life. 6'4" and my weight went up along with each birthday. There were a few times in my 20s when I lost a bunch of weight mostly to unhealthy eating and vices, but it always came back.

About 8 years back I got into lifting and eating low carb and went from 419 to 290. I also started cycling and was doing really great. 100+ mile rides, riding daily. But I got hit by a car, and injured my shoulder, hip, and knee on the left side of my body. This put a serious damper on my exercise and diet, and after 3mos of painkillers and alcohol I was completely off my routines and packing on the weight again.

Fast forward to 2012, I hit 390 before I decided to do anything about it again, and I started keto and walking, and dropped 60lbs in less than 5 months. I lost a little steam then, but managed to stay stable and not gain a bunch of weight.

About 6 mos ago, I got rear-ended in my car, and injured both my knees. You can imagine this had a pretty bad effect on activity level, and my weight. I again turned to pain killers and drinking - and I hit the heaviest I've ever been. 439lbs.

Right around xmas I said "ok I'm done with this BS", and talked to my wife about doing keto together (she's also gained some weight after two kids and being around a fat husband). We both decided to do it 110%.

So we've both doing great - I'm down 17lbs since right after xmas. That's 1/10th of the way to my 170lb weight-loss goal!

I discovered MFP, now I'm tracking everything and holding myself accountable. Since I'm a science and data nerd, the ability to model my food intake is just wonderful. I don't know why I never did it before. :)

I'm happily married, father of two wonderful boys ages 2 & 5, and would welcome supportive connections in this community.

Replies

• steveg1982
    steveg1982 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your journey bringing you to today. Congrats in the milestone! It's all about getting momentum! Let's connect. My goal is to lose 70lbs in 12 months and am committed to get there. I'm also big on data, and mfp has been awesome!
  • lisaeliz1
    lisaeliz1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's definitely worth a pat on the back! Despite your setbacks, it can be done. Here's why I say that: My best friend is wheelchair bound, and she has lost over 100 lbs so far. A real inspiration. She tracks everything religiously, sticks to the plan (she does Atkins), and has decided to start doing 5ks last year to try and get the last bit of weight off. If she can do it, we can do it!
  • cloieclo
    cloieclo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A step in the right direction! 17lbs is an inspirational amount of weight to lose and you should be so proud :) It sounds like you've got your mind in the right place and you'll be surprised at what you can achieve now you're determined to do something about it. Especially if you have the support of your wife by your side, going through exactly the same thing. I know it can be hard in a household where you're the only one trying to get healthy and fit and everyone else thinks your boring or being too picky at your food/portions!
    Keep up the great work. Would love to watch your journey :)
  • spaceecho
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! :)