Staying on track when sick

Options
There are terrible viruses going around right now and since November I managed to stay healthy while I watched my family members each get sick with this terrible cough virus (possibly pertussis). But now I've caught it, just when I am trying desperately to get back on track with my calories after a few months on a hiatus.

Anyone else have a hard time staying on track when you're sick? What helps you? I am eating worse than I ever did on my diet hiatus, and craving high carb foods like crazy. It's partially boredom and I think partially that my body is looking for anything to help with the low energy that comes with this terrible cough and cold.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    When I'm ill I try to eat at TDEE as my body needs the extra energy to heal.
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just got the same horrible coughing cold! I'm definitely not exercising so I'm just trying to stay at/under calories, but I'm not going to fret too much. I want this to be short lasting. I'm eager to exercise again, but I can tell it would be difficult right now. Get your rest!
  • Suzie0804
    Suzie0804 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have just got over tonsillitis yuk!!, as its recommened to rest i just didnt work out but kept at or below my calories! I drunk extra hot drinks tho as i feel it helps fight the infection! It is harder though wen ur not well :(
  • 505n8v
    505n8v Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started a new workout and meal plan. A few days later, I caught a cold, blah! Doing my best sticking with my meal plan. Thank goodness for the tracking tool.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible cold right now and can't take any relieving medications because evidently, from an appt. with my doctor, they raise my blood pressure too much.

I reset my calorie goal to maintenance until I feel better. It's a 250 calorie difference, but I'm not working out, so it helps.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses everyone! It's comforting to know that I am not alone in struggling to keep on track when sick. The theme I'm coming away with is not worrying too much, and continuing to stay on track, even with a few extra calories. Hope everyone feels better soon!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Honestly one thing at a time :) When I'm sick I just forget about weigh loss, your body will thank you for it! Plenty of time when you're over your virus...