Ideas for a Tasty/Non-boring Salad!

Options
anihod
anihod Posts: 6 Member
Hi all,

Wondering whether anyone could give me some inspiration to make salad's a little more interesting.

I make a salad almost everyday for my lunch so would need to be something easy and relitively quick to prepare.

At the moment I have pretty much exhausted the usual Chicken, Lettuce, Cucumber & Pesto/Mayo combination.

Many thanks! :)

Replies

• Ellasdream
    Ellasdream Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had a great salad- Spinach leaves, strawberries, sunflower seeds, goats cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette. Simple but really tasty, I'm sure it would go great with some added chicken too!
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    taco salad- taco meat, tomatoes, jalapenos, salsa for dressing

spinach salad- spinach, chicken, green apples, walnuts, blue cheese(or feta), balsamic is great with spinach

cobb salad- boiled egg, bacon, corn, black beans, pecans

Pinterest is awesome for ideas!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My favorite salad:

- 150g (about 6 oz) of chicken breast, cubed and baked with a sprinkling of salt, pepper, paprika, and plenty of chopped cilantro
    - A very large salad composed of: 50g bell pepper (~2 oz), 25 g spinach, chopped (1 oz), 70g iceberg lettuce (~2.5/3 oz), 190g tomato (7 oz), 200g cucumber (~7 oz)
    - Half a cup of fat free (or whatever fat level you prefer) yogurt (basically one of those single serving plastic containers-170g each (6.5ish oz), mixed with: A handful of chopped cilantro, half of a small garlic clove, 1-2 fresh finely chopped mint leaves, and salt to taste.

You can make the yogurt a couple of days in advance, and it keeps very nicely as a dressing in the fridge. Enjoy! :)
  • hoodedvwsam
    hoodedvwsam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How about Spinach Leaves, Wild Rocket, Watercress, Lambs Lettace, Tomato, Cucumber, Bell Peppers and Chicken with Lemon and Lime Juice dressing? One of my faves!
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Broccolini, feta, ham, slivered almonds and a splash of olive oil and vinegar

Greek salad with some grilled yiros lamb mix from the butcher

• xblackstars
    Options
    Add spinach, Rocket, Watercress, peppers, sweetcorn, fish (either tuna or salmon), rye bread crutons, beetroot, peppers, fat free greek yogurt? Mint or corridander are good options too :) hope this helps.
  • anihod
    anihod Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! These ideas are great! Can't wait to try them out :)

Keem them coming!!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Salmon Caesar - Baked Salmon, Parmesan Cheese, Romaine and Bolthouse Farms Caesar dressing

Greek - Romaine, grape tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese & grilled chicken with a reduced fat Balsamic Dressing.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
  • sophysings
    sophysings Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like adding little kicks of flavour like capers or a couple of chopped sun dried tomatoes - it really seems to pep my lettuce/pepper/cucumber combo up whilst adding very few calories. I tend to mix up the protein - I'm a fan of tinned mackerel, although I know not everyone is, and you can get some really nice flavours in a tin e.g. today's one is a Princes moroccan spicy one. Yum!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Southwest Salad
    • Mashed black bean burger
    • Salsa
    • quinoa/brown rice
    • romaine/mixed greens
    • guac (I use mini guacamoles from costco)
    • sour cream

Florida Salad
    • Spinach
    • chopped oranges
    • craisins/dates
    • pecans/walnuts
    • feta
    • raspberry viniagrette

Greek Salad
    • Spinach and arugala
    • olives
    • tomatoes
    • jarred roasted red peppers
    • cubed feta
    • red onion
    • cubed tofu
    • basil
    • splash of olive oil

Chickpea Salad
    • chickpeas
    • parmesean
    • lemon & oil
    • basil
    • garlic
    • parsley
    • Serve on its own or over mixed greens, steamed broccoli, meat, etc
  • tloubkelley
    tloubkelley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    anihod wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering whether anyone could give me some inspiration to make salad's a little more interesting.

I make a salad almost everyday for my lunch so would need to be something easy and relitively quick to prepare.

At the moment I have pretty much exhausted the usual Chicken, Lettuce, Cucumber & Pesto/Mayo combination.

Many thanks! :)

Personally I add:strawberrys, orange slices, apples, slivered almonds, raisins, turkey bacon, turkey white meat, carrots,wonton strips, pecans, blue cheese crumbles, krotons, black olives and even bannana peppers.This is a list of ingredients that I use.i change it up and use of course with the usual lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and spinach.But I do measure out some of the ingredients. The dressing I use is cucumber dill, or chipotle. It's actually a yougurt dip.but it's great as a dressing.its found by the veggie section and has to stay cold.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, tomatoe, pepper, onion, corn, black beans, bbq sauce and ranch. YUM!