Obese Large ladies over 40 who've lost weight?

Options
I am a Obese lady over 40 embarking on my weight loss journey!!

I know this is probably quite gross - but I am really dreading what state my body will be in after I lose this weight!

After 2 large kids I already have a bit of an "apron" which is nicely (???) padded with fat at the moment! (I am being sarcastic!) I am fearful that after losing significant weight I will be left with large amounts of unsightly loose skin. Is there anything I can do to minimise this????

Would love to hear from others who have gone through this journey.

Thanks

Charlie x

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well...I am 6 months away from being 40 and I too had an apron starting weight of 306, I am down to 224 now and no, I have no hanging skin. I am a firm believer that if you go at it slow for the long haul you shouldn't have it. Good luck to you!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If it is any consolation...once you lose the weight, even with extra skin that is no longer filled out...you won't care. That's not to say if I did not have money for plastic surgery I would not jump for the chance...but seeing as how I will probably never be able to, I can live with it. I lost over 200 pounds after gastric bypass in 2006. Took 2 years but it was the best thing ever for me and I now have an 8 month old (at the age of 39) and am the big 4.0 now!

Just a daily reminder of where I came from and where I never want to go again. GL!
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am over 40 and my starting weight was 311 pounds. I have lost 62 pounds so far. I realize that I still have a long way to go to get to my goal weight. But I have noticed that even after losing the 62 pounds I really dont have alot of loose or saggy skin. If you exercise and tone up as you lose you shouldnt have a big problem. Anyway, I little skin would be better than all the weight that I have been carrying around. I wish you luck in your journey, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to.
  • ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Still on my journey and need to lose another 113 lbs. I plan on surgery to remove it. There is no way it will bounce back. have just had it to many years.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and at my highest weight was 206. I'm down to 164 now and I too have the dreaded "apron" and was concerned about hanging skin if I got to my weight loss goal. I certainly don't have the money for a tummy-tuck and don't really want to undergo such a procedure anyway. To my surprise, as I have gradually dropped the weight, my "apron" has shrunk. I'm convinced that once I get to goal (135) it will be all gone. I actually can see some upper abs now and I haven't seen that in YEARS!

You just keep doing what you're doing. You'll be surprised.
  • valerian101
    valerian101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    34 pounds is the maximum I have ever lost and that got me down to the Weight Watchers goal. I was 62 at the time. My prediction is that if you succeed you will be left with a bit of an apron (which could be surgically removed, but I don't think it would be necessary!). You are still at an age when your skin has sufficient elasticity and with a bit of exercise to tone up the muscles, you will be absolutely fine. Many people have more than 84 lbs to lose and the 'bags' give little problem. I was worried when I lost the 34lbs that I would look haggard, but I was quite radiant and felt so fit and healthy. Don't be put off by your fears. Achieving the goals you have set yourself will stand you in good stead for the future. 'Each victory will help you some other to win!'
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ladies thank you so much for your replies. I will keep on going - as I want to be healthy! Its comforting to think that I'm not the only one out there with these concerns and that it may not be an issue. Charlie x
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you have it now it may be reduced but will most likely not go away. Everyone is different and it depends on your highest weight. I think those starting in the high 200's have a much better chance than those in the high 300's.

I know I will never get rid of mine but getting it smaller is a huge improvement, I would rather have this than stay the way I was!

Good Luck and try not to worry about it!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You may or may not have loose skin at goal, depending on your skin elasticity now.
    i am over 50, have lost almost 50 pounds so far, 30 more to go, and indeed i am seeing very saggy skin in places (3 Csections don't help)... however.. i also understand you need give it about a year after losing to see how much of the skin will 'bounce back' into place... but if after a year it's still saggy, and you are not prepared to live with it, then surgery is the only real answer.

and yes, i am fully prepared to have that surgery if and when i reach that point *S*... no way i am working this hard, and finally reaching a healthy 'me'.. and STILL not having my exterior match my interior state of mind and wellbeing *S* 5t's not for everyone, but it will be for me, if needed *S*

good luck on your journey!
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am 48 my top weight was 18.5 stone and I had an apron nearly 6 stone down now and it is lifting albeit slowly, my arms are getting nicely toned and by bum is lifting nicely. To start off I dieted but didn't do much exercise. Over the last year I joined a gym and go 3 times a week, also 2 aqua fit classes, I really think the cardio stuff makes the skin go back and the wight training and toning gives you definition and a nice shape. Another thing to do is measure yourself, I did last year and lost 42 inches from all over my body, so if the scales don't go down I look at my tape measure!!! Good luck with your journey.