Healthy or low calorie foods that keep the hunger pains away

Options
Hello all. This is my first post since beginning MyFitness Pal. I've been cutting back eating but I always have this hungry feeling. Does anyone have a suggestion for foods that curbs the hunger feelings? I drink water to make me feel less hungry but it doesn't last long.

Replies

• jsts97
    jsts97 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been feeling same way gonna try eating apple with peanut butter on it see if helps
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    peanut butter.
    protein shakes do it for me too.
  • murkalicious
    murkalicious Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Will try penut butter
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Protein is very satiating. I think a little pouch of tuna is like 70 calories and keeps you held over quite a while.

Most of you water heavy vegetables like tomato or cucumber; or leafy greens like spinach or romaine can fill you up for very little calories.
  • Clinsell
    Clinsell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Porridge and oatcakes with hummus work for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies. They contain nutrients, have fiber (helps with feeling full!) and most are low cal.

Beans are pretty low cal. There's a Ball Park no-fat turkey dog that is less than 45 calories, so you can have some Beanie Weenie for like 100 calories.

Peanut butter doesn't fill me up and is high-cal, so I'm not sure that would be my go-to, given the criteria. It's very yummy, though.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Veggies, protein, and fat. I don't know why, but I find fruits make me hungry. I have to eat them with something else. If I'm hungry and eat an apple, I'm hungrier after.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I always keep plain unsalted almonds at my desk at work - 1 serving (1/4 cup) has about 170cal/15g fat/7g carbs/6g protein
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat every 2-3 hours... small meals with 32oz of water each 3 hours...(i drink half my weight in ounces) it has certainly increased my bathroom time but also has kept me feeling satisfied and on track. I eat raw almonds/walnuts, corn nuts as well as veggies and hummus. It's gotten to the point where I am actually eating because it is that "time" to eat not because I am hungry. Eating for nutrition and not for hunger is a whole new thing for me and it feels pretty good! This is my first week back in a while but when i originally started this eating every 2-3 hours I loss 24lbs in just under 90 days. Finding what works for you is key... so many good ideas out here I would just try some and see what works for you. Good luck!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hunger PAIN? If you're actually physically hurting, you need to increase your calories.

Otherwise, you're getting good advice above.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hunger PAIN? If you're actually physically hurting, you need to increase your calories.

A lot of people hear "hunger pangs" as "hunger pains." It's a really common thing, like sherbert and libary. :)
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Occasionally being hungry would be normal as your getting used to a lower intake. But if you are constantly hungry you may need to either up your calories or increase your consumption of filling low calorie foods like fruit/veg etc.
    On days where I can tell im going to be ravenous (usually around that time of the month) I try to up my intake of veggies. So i'll have a massive chicken salad for lunch, get lots of protein and fibre. This also gives me enough calories left to treat the hunger beast to some chocolate or whatever.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

A lot of people hear "hunger pangs" as "hunger pains." It's a really common thing, like sherbert and libary. :)

*wince* Pang is still means a sudden, sharp pain....
  • sweetaries01
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How much have you been cutting?