Dinner Suggestions please?

Options
Hype
Hype Posts: 349
Hi, I would like your advice please.

My dinners are ALWAYS cooked by my mother, except on the off the chance we either dine out or i'm up my sisters or out with my boyfriend. I want to offer to cook one day a week - mainly to make sure its a good low cal dinner (would be great if its low on other bad things too) - but also to offer my mum the night out.

Thing is, i have no idea what to cook - so please please please could you give me some nice interesting and tasty ideas?

And as my mum tends to either do a cooked dinner or pasta alot it would be great to do something different.

Thanks everyone

Replies

• SamuelFerguson
    Options
    Try some Smart One, Lean Cuisine and Banquet meals. Just make sure you check the calories . I use them all the time.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I made a Asian inspired chicken recipe last night, i made it from scratch so I am not sure what to call it but here is the recipe

Ingredients:

2 chicken Breasts
    2 Limes
    1/2 onion sliced
    1/2 Red pepper sliced
    1/2 Green pepper sliced
    3-4 celery stics chopped
    1-2 tbs of garlic
    1/2 c apple cidar vinager
    1 C chicken broth
    1 small can of pineapple chunks
    Seasonings (bunch of different kinds) (I used italian, johnny's and montreal chicken)
    Directions:

In big pan mix onions, peppers, celery,garlic vinager chicken broth pineapple chuncks and the juice in the can, squeeze one lime into mixture and add lots of your favorite seasonings; cook down until liquid is evaporated and veggies are cooked to your desired tenderness

In another pan fry chicken with same seasoning on it. When chicken is done slice and lay over the top of the veggies. Squeeze lime on it!

Veggies are a sweet vinagarette spicy asian flavoring, and the chicken ups the protein. I added a little Mae Poi sauce you can find it in the asian food isle, its a spicy sweet sauce (sodium is high so only use a tiny amount. )

Its REALLY REALLY good!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Try some Smart One, Lean Cuisine and Banquet meals. Just make sure you check the calories . I use them all the time.

be careful of the sodium, its ususally over 700 in most of those meals!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump. That chicken recipe sounds good even without the salty seasonings! Looking forward to trying! Thanks for posting!
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from bettycrocker.com in the healthy recipes. I made this dinner last week. My husband said that it was one of the best dinners I have ever cooked!

Roasted Pork Chops and Vegetables- 4 servings
    2 teaspoons parsley flakes
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
    4 pork rib chops, 1/2 inch thick (1 pound)
    Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
    6 new potatoes, cut into fourths (3 cups)
    4 ounces mushrooms, cut in half (1 1/2 cups)
    1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
    1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges

Heat oven to 425ºF. Spray jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x1 inch, with cooking spray. Mix parsley, marjoram, thyme, garlic salt and pepper. Spray both sides of pork chops with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons herb mixture. Place in corners of pan.
    Mix potatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper and onion in large bowl. Spray vegetables 2 or 3 times with cooking spray; stir. Sprinkle with remaining herb mixture; toss to coat. Spread evenly in center of pan between pork chops.
    Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Turn pork; stir vegetables. Place tomato wedges over vegetables. Bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until pork is slightly pink when cut near bone and vegetables are tender.

When I put this recipe in my recipe box it added up to 326 calories per serving.
  • mummakitty
    mummakitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there, brand new here So First off I'll say Hello my name is Pamela, I'm from over here in Canada * waves* :drinker:
    . Saw your request for new ideas for dinners & had to jump in. :) You see in our house we love to cook :)
    Off the top of my head I'd ask do you want to do something on the stove, or in the oven or do you hae a BBQ for grilling? Then is there any food allergies or dilikes you have to work around??
    Then what sort of flavour direction do you want to go? Greek, Italian, Mexican, Indian..other?
    Last night we made a Haddock done in lemon & spices & a whole bunch of grilled veggies with a spinach salad & garlic buns.. Very tasty & low cal :)
    Feel free to pick my brain for more ideas.. :happy:

Pamela *
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have a nosy around on peoples food diarys!! :D I always look in peoples diarys and think they look so yummy compared to mine!!