what to cook when you dont want to cook?

Options
Easy quick fast.? Is there any healthier options when you just don't want to cook a healthy meal? A grab and go kinda thing that will be good for a supper?

Replies

• Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in food prep for the week. Otherwise known as leftovers. Something quick is rinsed canned tuna or chicken on salad if the tubs of leftovers in the fridge aren't singing to you.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Keep the fruit bowl and vegetable drawer full and it shouldn't be a problem. I like tuna on rice crackers, or yogurt and fruit, or salad with string cheese, or canned soup with some extra veggies thrown in.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A basic soup without too many additives. Couscous (pour water over and let sit for 5 minutes) with pre-cooked chicken and mango. Any healthy microwave meal (I used to buy Innocent pots back in London). Tuna pasta, if you have some pre-cooked pasta left in your fridge. A healthy sandwich. Smoked salmon salad.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen dinners around for this. But my regular cooking is pretty fast. I usually just grill a piece of chicken or small steak or microwave a piece of fish and add some microwaved veggies.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I eat steak with half an avocado and a fried egg (chilli sauce optional) if I don't want to stand for longer than 5-10 minutes total to prepare and cook my dinner.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like to make food ahead of time and freeze it. Double the batch every time you cook and freeze it into pre-measured portions. All you have to do later is is thaw, log, heat and eat.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Omlette with add-ins.
    Cheese, spinach, ham, bacon, onions, peppers--anything you have on hand.
  • moonacre67
    moonacre67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put a portIon of fish in the oven for 15 mins, microwave a mixed bag of veg or add a mixed salad to it, adding lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper etc if you desire.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    Eggs and oatmeal

^ This, along with 2 cups of Gluten free corn Chex cereal and almond milk.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Cook one day a week (sunday) and make lots of leftovers to freeze. One day I could make a few batches of pancakes, a pot of soup, roasted chicken, chicken breasts, etc. Then I have pancakes for 3 weeks (my fiance and son are obsessed), 7-8 servings of soup, chicken to use throughout the week, etc. You can also do something like this and swap with a friend.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I tend to make large batches of Lasagna and Chili so that I can freeze half of it for later for the lazy days. We also keep frozen veggies around for a quick side dish and a few frozen meals from Trader Joes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Usually when I don't want to cook, I drizzle oil and spices over some type of vegetable(s) and meat/fish and roast them. Total time to eat is about 30-60 min but prep time is about 5 min.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Leftovers, breakfast food, or grilled cheese is usually what we do when we don't want to "cook".
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    -miso soup with soba, veggies (fresh or frozen), tofu or some shrimps
    -tortillas with canned refried beans, cheese, salsa and a salad on the side
    -steak with broccoli and a baked sweet potato
    -I often pre-cook for the week ahead and have frozen stew and soups in my freezer
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    PB & J sandwich
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lisakirt wrote: »
    Easy quick fast.? Is there any healthier options when you just don't want to cook a healthy meal? A grab and go kinda thing that will be good for a supper?

now that I have an immersion circulator, I'll cook stuff up, freeze it, then heat it back up when it's time to eat it. Easy, fast, and made by a culinary expert.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Soup and salad. I ate popcorn for dinner one night last week. It wasn't in my weekly plan but I was just too tired and not in the mood to cook. I figured once in a while isn't too harmful and I was still within my macros for the day.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eggs is usually my first go to.

can of tuna is easy.

but 9/10 if I want a snack- I eat popcorn or ice cream- because I'm lazy.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Veggie-cabbage soup without meat,but lots &lots of frozen,fresh or canned veggies.A serving of 1 &1/2 C is about 150 cals.According to how hungry I am,might have a sandwich or crackers & cheese to go with.The soup is filling & homemade. Very quick to heat & I most always have soup in the fridge.
    Another filling meal is to micro a large potato,then top with whatever you like.Add a quick salad if you want.
    When you are tired of it all,a bowl of cereal will fill you up :D