I think I have a problem.

Options
So here's a thing. Like a lot of people iv been on and off the bandwagon a few times and like everyone else I'm back on it.
But iv encountered a curious situation with regards to my weight.
I'm 27 5ft 10 waist is in constant flux between 36" and 40" The waist line fluctuations are interesting but that's only half of it. My weight at present is 19st 2lbs, down 4lbs from last week. However I certainly do not look it. What makes this interesting is people who are obviously bigger than me weigh far less.

Some will say it's muscle mass, but I rarely lift, using the weight machines 2-3 times a week, bulking my muscle mass is not my objective. So how can I weight a lot more than people who are obviously bigger than me in height and width.

Is this a medical condition? Is it normal? How can I find out?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There is more to weight than muscle and fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Who says you don't look it?

No. I doubt it's a medical condition. Some people just have bigger frames, denser bones, bigger organs, etc.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I think that some people are just more dense than others. Frame size/skeletal density and muscle make a difference. How long your legs are vs. your trunk makes a difference. How much weight you carry in your breasts makes a difference.

Bodies are weird. :)

I'm like you--I don't think that I look nearly as heavy as I actually am.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    steffAJX wrote: »
    So here's a thing. Like a lot of people iv been on and off the bandwagon a few times and like everyone else I'm back on it.
    But iv encountered a curious situation with regards to my weight.
    I'm 27 5ft 10 waist is in constant flux between 36" and 40" The waist line fluctuations are interesting but that's only half of it. My weight at present is 19st 2lbs, down 4lbs from last week. However I certainly do not look it. What makes this interesting is people who are obviously bigger than me weigh far less.

Some will say it's muscle mass, but I rarely lift, using the weight machines 2-3 times a week, bulking my muscle mass is not my objective. So how can I weight a lot more than people who are obviously bigger than me in height and width.

Is this a medical condition? Is it normal? How can I find out?

So? you weigh heavy ... so what?

frame size, bone density and musculature and you just do - carrying weight well and evenly is a genetic gift

I'm 5'8, weigh 168 (12 stones) which is outside my healthy range BMI (after having lost 44lbs) but I do weight train, my frame measures large by wrist and forearm size, I am a UK 10 -12 (US 6-8), my waist is 28" so well within healthy range, my body fat is around 25.5% and I love how I'm looking at the moment so I'm on 0.5lb a week loss and aiming for a 24% body fat (booking a DEXA scan as soon as I have some cash)

PS that profile shot is me around 6lbs heavier than I am now, which would be 9lbs above maximum BMI
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    People carry weight completely differently. I've seen it in magazines. People my height and weight yet a couple of dress sizes either side of my own. I put on weight fairly evenly all over which means I'm one of those unlucky people who has to lose a LOT of weight (around 21lbs) to go down a dress size (although it seems lucky on the way up!) whereas some people can lose 7lbs and go down a size, especially if all their weight goes to their middle. It can seem disproportionate and make them look bigger.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I think that some people are just more dense than others.

I've noticed that too, but what does that have to do with weight?

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 5ft 10 waist is in constant flux between 36" and 40" The waist line fluctuations are interesting but that's only half of it.
    The food you ate, water, gas. There's nothing weird in it.
    So how can I weight a lot more than people who are obviously bigger than me in height and width.
    Since when high and width equals mass? I'm 6'3 and with pretty wide body structure but I do not carry much muscle now, or fat. So due to might high and width you would probably get visual illusion that I'm more heavy. That's what it is, visual illusion. Some people look more heavy and more fat because their weight is distributed differently. Take a female who carries majority of her fat in breasts and butt for example vs a female who carries majority of same amount of weight in belly. Just bad genetics and visual illusion.