Weight Loss by low carbs

Options
I need some friends that count Carbs. A lot of MFP friends get on my case about lower calories when I need supporters to get on my case to EAT lower carbs. Please add me if you can get on my *kitten* about this and if I can do the same. I am a firm believer that lower carbs and cutting out processed foods adding more protein is the key. I did it last year and lost over 20lbs in less than 2 months and ate a ton every day and then stupid me quit. I NEED to do this again and I need Carb haters support.

Replies

• xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I hit my first plateau last year, my research revealed how important it is to monitor and reduce carbs. I try my best to keep them under 100g and manually changed my macros which automatically increased my protein. I definitely stay away from processed foods too. I agree it's not all about the calories! Carbs burn first, then fat so the less I take in, the faster the fat burn!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    xShreddx wrote: »
    When I hit my first plateau last year, my research revealed how important it is to monitor and reduce carbs. I try my best to keep them under 100g and manually changed my macros which automatically increased my protein. I definitely stay away from processed foods too. I agree it's not all about the calories! Carbs burn first, then fat so the less I take in, the faster the fat burn!

Can you expound a bit on the bolded?

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Wait... I can understand if you like lower carb (if you didn't maintain it, a red flag should tell you it may not be for you but hey whatever) but you actually got helpful advice about lower calories? You do realize weight loss will always come down to calories, irregardless of method right? Thermodynamics...
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have tried counting calories and trying to justify eating unhealthy as long as it fits. I was very successful last year until I got sick and just backed off. I had the lingering flu for over a month and I could only keep down crackers and sprite. And once better I never went back. Now I am back and I am going to make it work. I am a firm believer in
    Dr. Akins and how to lower your weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    yowla wrote: »
    I have tried counting calories and trying to justify eating unhealthy as long as it fits. I was very successful last year until I got sick and just backed off. I had the lingering flu for over a month and I could only keep down crackers and sprite. And once better I never went back. Now I am back and I am going to make it work. I am a firm believer in
    Dr. Akins and how to lower your weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure.

No one is advocating eating unhealthy. Who said that? Calories are all that matter with weight loss. Macronutrients and micronutrients for health. You can be healthy and eat any foods in moderation.

Why did you quit low carb though? If you believe in it so much?
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb. I have off and on for years. I lost 90 pounds my first round.

What I didn't understand is WHY it works and why it worked for me. I would NEVER have believed you that first round. I was eating full fat dressing AND losing weight?! Eating cheese?! I was losing weight from eating less calories...I just didn't realize it because I hadn't found MFP at that time. You feel more full because of the amount of fat you're eating. Especially as you get closer and closer to goal weight, watching carbs and calories will help you.

I don't necessarily hate carbs and you CAN eat carbs and lose weight. I actually LOVE carbs...too many of them and I don't have enough will power for them. I maintained my weight loss until I got pregnant and I ate carbs.

I follow a high fat/moderate protein/low carb WOE.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cut carbs if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic.
    Cut protein if you have kidney disease or gout.
    Cut fat if you have lipid-related heart disease or family history of certain cancers.

Otherwise, choose a sustainable balance that is consistent with your weight and performance goals. TA DA!
  • charlesfriday1
    charlesfriday1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    To me a low carb diet is the easiest to follow. Simply cut potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, processed foods, and sugar from your diet and you'll lose weight. It isn't necessary to get insane about it, but it you'll go most meals without eating any of those, you're going to lose weight. On the other hand some French fries with your cheeseburger once a week or so won't hurt and makes it a little easier to stay on the diet.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Okay...so...you want to keep trying a low-carb diet even though it's unsustainable for you and you gained it back? Why not try to change your eating habits in a way that keeps the weight off for good and doesn't require you to maintain an unsustainable diet?
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    To me a low carb diet is the easiest to follow. Simply cut potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, processed foods, and sugar from your diet and you'll lose weight. It isn't necessary to get insane about it, but it you'll go most meals without eating any of those, you're going to lose weight. On the other hand some French fries with your cheeseburger once a week or so won't hurt and makes it a little easier to stay on the diet.

I assure you I can easily create a calorie surplus without the things you listed. Like avacado and quinoa, coconut oil, etc.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I assure you I can easily create a calorie surplus without the things you listed. Like avacado and quinoa, coconut oil, etc.
    Yep, a pound of potatoes is about 350 calories, 3 tablespoons of oil is about the same. Which one is going to fill you up. Potatoes rank highest in satiety
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104/
  • charlesfriday1
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Yep, a pound of potatoes is about 350 calories, 3 tablespoons of oil is about the same. Which one is going to fill you up.

I can and have, eaten a pound of potatoes as a side to the rest of my meal. Three tablespoons of oil is likely to have me puking.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Yep, a pound of potatoes is about 350 calories, 3 tablespoons of oil is about the same. Which one is going to fill you up.

I can and have, eaten a pound of potatoes as a side to the rest of my meal. Three tablespoons of oil is likely to have me puking.

You mean you don't put any oil in any food you cook?
  • charlesfriday1
    Options
    Generally, I use lard or butter.
  • yowla
    Options
    Why did you quit low carb though? If you believe in it so much?

I just got back into my old eating habits and I kept saying next week I will start again. But 30lbs heavier and still haven't done it. It is a new year and I plan on making this a life style. I want to make it a healthy life style. I truly believe you can eat things in moderation but eating 1200 calories of a snickers bar is horrible. Yeah I might lose the weight but I will feel like crap. I will feel just like I do know. I remember how I felt last year and I want that back.
  • yowla
    Options
    Generally, I use lard or butter.

I love real butter!
  • Phoenix_Down
    edited January 2015
    Options

I just got back into my old eating habits and I kept saying next week I will start again. But 30lbs heavier and still haven't done it. It is a new year and I plan on making this a life style. I want to make it a healthy life style. I truly believe you can eat things in moderation but eating 1200 calories of a snickers bar is horrible. Yeah I might lose the weight but I will feel like crap. I will feel just like I do know. I remember how I felt last year and I want that back.

See but you're turning eating snickers into a strawman. No one will recommend you eat 1200 calories in snickers bars. That's ridiculous.

What people advocate, typically on here is spreading out your days calories in a way that leaves you satiated, eating nutrient dense whole foods, then saving some fun calories maybe in the evening for A snickers bar....or ice cream.

Do you think you'd be any more healthy eating 1200 calories of nothing but apples? You'd be missing out on protein, fats, and other nutrients. Doesn't make apples bad.

It's a balancing act. It's well worth the effort to reform bad habits and learn to fit things you love in, in a mindful, healthy manner. Rather then placing labels on everything and demonizing foods.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I love Snickers. That is all.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In the end calorie is all that matter in losing weight but consider this:

About 25%-30% of the calories in each gram of protein are burned in digestion, compared to only 6%-8% of the calories in carbs. Do the math: You save 41 calories every time you substitute 50 grams of protein for an equal amount of carbs.