Sick of the Yoyo

Options
I just don't understand it i want to loose weight more then anything but time and time again I start yoyoing. I am a mother of 4 had my last baby 10months ago! I was 260lbs at delivery when i had him I literally lost no weight I lost 10 at first but put that right back on then I got serious about dieting and lost about 20lbs then the holidays were here and i just forgot about dieting then got back on it a month of 2 ago starting loosing again now i'm down to 227 but its like im so good I'm so strict and motivated and then one day I tell myself ok I'll have a day off and I allow myself to eat junk chips cake etc...and of course it taste good going down but then I feel like crap I get sleepy and lazy and throw all of my hard work out of the window. Yesterday was one of those days I bought chips ate fried wings fried french fries and even baked a cake. i felt horrible after all of that eating. then I woke up feeling slugish today but guess what I ate for breakfeast even while talking to myself and telling myself it wasn't what i wanted to do and why would i start off my day bad yep you guessed it I ate a huge piece of cake with a scoop of ice cream for breakfeast it's like once that sugar gets into my system its like a drug I really have to stay far away from it....then u get the mindset that hey i ruined this day by my poor choice at breakfeast so i should just eat like a pig for the rest of the day but no that is why i am here now I need to stop this I always have got down to the 220s with 300+lbs being my highest weight at one point and then it seems like i give up....I want to loose weight and be here for my kids my parents both died when I was young from heart disease i don't want to leave my 4 children early because I wasn't strong enough to loose this weight and get healthy. I don't know how to break this ugly cycle I need to cut out sugar all together because it is such a trigger food for me I do not drink sodas which is good I only eat whole grains but junk sweets like candy cakes ice creams are my down fall and i crave them badly especially at night after dinner I was doing good for a few months id have an orange in the evening and it would satisfy that sweet tooth....I also need to be more consistent with my exercise I'll do soooo good and then one of the kids will be sick or myself and i'll take a few days off and then it's so hard to get started back. I want to be a good example for them I never want them to have to deal with being overweight I hate it. Thanks for just letting me vent and throw this out there just doing that makes me feel better. I am going to go take a long walk right now and I'm going to keep pushing I will never give up I just wish something would click with me and I could push past the curse of the 220s. Any adice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Love to all!!!

Replies

• chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going back to eating an orange in the evening?

Have you considered NOT buying the junk? Forcing yourself to not buy it? I've never been one with a sweet tooth (only occasionally) but I'm definitely a fast food junkie. I think you just need to get into the swing of things, and once you start to see the pounds fall off, you'll want to stay on track. No one on this website can make you get get on track....you have to make the decision yourself. Own up to your mistakes and celebrate your victories!

Good luck!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232427-hungry-girl-advice

If you don't buy junk food you can't eat it!

Are you eating enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I haven't been able to find that magic number of calories that keeps me from losing or gaining. All I need to do is have a piece of junk food and can binge for 2000 calories, the junk food calls me, I have no idea if their is a magic time when you stop having problems with your weight.
    All I can offer is you can do it. Take it one day at a time and you can get to whatever weight you want. I'm just happy that I can stop gaining. I'm working right now to get back down to my goal weight.
    You can do it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The simple answer, of course, is to stop eating the junk food.

That, of course, is easier said than done, I know.

One way I've found to resist the temptation is to think about all the bad things in those tempting items and how they make you feel. For example, I look at food from certain fast food joints or those TV dinners and all I see is salt and think "yuck, I don't want to eat salt!"

Also, don't keep that stuff around. If it's around, it tempts you. What I also found that helps is to keep the not-so-bad treats around. Things like pudding cups (ideally, sugar-free) allow you to "cheat" without going overboard. Bonus points for things like the pudding cups, because they're individually wrapped, so it's harder to eat more than a serving. After a while, I've found the temptation may even go away, because the "cheater things" are always around, so you can have it any time you want (and when you do eat one, it's not a big deal, anyway).
  • rilaus
    rilaus Posts: 14
    Options
    I completely know what you are going through. I have been on that roller coaster so many times. I have heard oh just don't buy it, don't go down that isle, and a few others. But what I have learned it isnt that you want to buy the food or you need that craving, it is more of an emotional block. Well it was for me anyway. I ate to feel better about my life and even if i camplained about how I looked I would still eat that piece of cake. I had a very close friend of mine tell me that he though I was the strongest person he knew but I hide it away with humor and my weight. I haven't been under the 200lb mark since my oldest son was born and he turned 11 on may 2nd. Self disapline is the hardest things to conqure, but nothing is impossible. You can build up the strength to over come that craving and just walk past the fried food and the day it happens you will know that you have hit a great milestone in your journey. Not everyone's journey is the same but we all have the same goals. Weight loss and healthy lifestyles.

Gook luck in your journey

Feel free to add me
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I would clean out your cupboards... and then re train your mind to have one cheat MEAL, not day...

the days don't work for you... so have one cheat MEAL or free MEAL and then call it good. Balance it out with protein and veggies and before you know it. your body wont even recognize that bad food you had for breakfast...

I LOVE bisucits and gravey, its one of my very favorite breakfasts, TERRIBLE for you but I love it, so saturday mornings are my cheat breakfasts, I have a big helping of Bisucits and gravey, then I go for a run, and then I heat super healthy all day long. my body doesn't get sick, I dont' feel sleepy, and I bounce back the next day because I ate healthy the rest of the day.

Its all about will power... just think how great you will feel to get to onederland. and that is only 20 pounds away... that is literally like 2 months.. and you will feel soooo much better. you need to work on your mind. and then anything will be possible. Post pictures of yourself on the fridge. with inspiring quotes. place them on your mirror in the bathroom. DO what ever you gotta do to motivate yourself. Buy a size smaller pant, as a short term goal. Try it on every week. pretty soon it will fit and you will feel amazing, it will be a little more inspiring to drop another 15 pounds for another pant size!

Gotta make short term goals, Re train your mind, and remember to have cheat MEALS not cheat DAYS
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    What I've found myself doing is going through the database and inputting what I want to eat in there and seeing if it's worth it. I wanted some Easter candy so freaking bad, so I grabbed some and went to the computer and looked up what the calories were... that's how I chose what I wanted to eat over what.... I had a fun size bag of skittles, a mini butterfinger, and a few robin eggs. This was satisfying for my sweet tooth but wasn't killer on the calories... I had checked this reeses egg out and it was a lot of calories for just one, and I figured I could have that one egg or I could have all the candy that I had chosen...

Give yourself days to cheat... but cheat smarter.... decide that you will have chips and cake but try to cut yourself a smaller piece or put the chips in a small bowl and eat that.... do something around the house after you eat it to keep yourself from going back in there and getting more... after 15 minutes or so you won't want anymore.

If I knew I couldn't have cake or chips for the rest of my life, well... I'd probably just give up... Don't give up... just tell yourself that today will be a better day. Yeah, you started off with cake and icecream but try to give yourself motivation for eating better... Put reminders on your refrigerator... like a picture of a motivation for you... either at your heavy weight or if you have a picture of you at a closer to your goal weight or maybe a picture of your parents or of your kids.... put a note on your fridge or on your cabinet that is a motivational saying or something uplifting....

Most of all, don't give up .... if you fall down, get back up and keep trying...

you can do this!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try not to beat yourself up so much. I have decided that since I have a massive sweet tooth that I am going to count those calories. If you want peice of cake for breakfast ---eat it, but count it. Then you have to figure out how to make the rest of your calories work for the day. I find that I dont want to spend my calories on the expensive stuff like cake when I can satisfy the sweet craving with some sweet berries and yogurt. but it doesn't always work. I also give myself a free day--most of the time its friday. We have lots of goodies at work and they are just too tempting. I still track and make sure I work out but dont go crazy thinking I have screwed it up cuz I didn't stick to the bandwagon. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, but I know my lifestyle too. I know that for family functions we eat rich lovely food, and I like sweets, and I want to be healthy. I would be happy to be support if ya want, just send me a friend request.

For working out, have you tried zumba? or running? or even yoga? I love zumba. we do it in black light (so no one can see my jiggles) it is lots of fun, i get super sweaty and burn a lot of calories, and where I go lets me get a punch card so I can use it as works for my life. I have also taken up running. there are lots of couch to 5k programs out there. I worked one of those in the beginning and repeated several weeks until I could do the week with confidence and then moved to the next one. I have registered for my first 1/2 marathon in September. The other thing that I have done is invite all --and i mean all-- my friends to join me. I hate being alone and it gives me accountability. some run with me,some come to zumba. sometimes it is about the fact that I can call them and say hey...i ran today did you get your run in?

I have 5 kids from ages 2 to 14 and they keep me hopping. I want to look good and feel good and pass on healthy habits to my kids and not the diabetes that runs rampant in my family tree.

Hope this helps. I would love to have another friend to work with here on this site.
  • oxyjenic
    oxyjenic Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been a yoyo dieter too and I'm determined to make it work this time. The best advice I can give is that we have to go deeper than just dieting. Something that I've found that's been working well for me is becoming a really good friend to myself. I've realized that the "tough love" I've given myself in the past doesn't really work. You have to be as compassionate with yourself as you'd be with a friend, husband, or your children. For example, if you had a friend that you knew was working really hard on being healthier, and then they told you they had spent the day eating all kinds of unhealthy food, would you say, "Well, you might as well give up now?" Probably not. You'd probably be really encouraging and let them know that one day is not going to make or break them. Then you'd probably ask them if they had been having a bad day or were stressed about anything and you might even offer to go take a walk with them or go to the gym to help them get out of their rut. This is EXACTLY the kind of conversation you can give yourself when you're being a good friend to yourself. I've found that when I'm feeding myself with "comfort foods" that what I'm actually doing is shutting myself away from the world and my internal voice. I might be stressed or just tired, and I'm sure as a mom to 4 little ones, that has to happen to you a lot. Don't ignore it. Be a friend to yourself and remember to use the same compassion and encouragement in your internal dialogue as you would use with your own children. I've found that I just feel better about myself when I do this, and when I feel better and can keep myself from "shutting down and just eating", I don't crave the unhealthy stuff as much.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been a yoyo dieter too and I'm determined to make it work this time. The best advice I can give is that we have to go deeper than just dieting. Something that I've found that's been working well for me is becoming a really good friend to myself. I've realized that the "tough love" I've given myself in the past doesn't really work. You have to be as compassionate with yourself as you'd be with a friend, husband, or your children. For example, if you had a friend that you knew was working really hard on being healthier, and then they told you they had spent the day eating all kinds of unhealthy food, would you say, "Well, you might as well give up now?" Probably not. You'd probably be really encouraging and let them know that one day is not going to make or break them. Then you'd probably ask them if they had been having a bad day or were stressed about anything and you might even offer to go take a walk with them or go to the gym to help them get out of their rut. This is EXACTLY the kind of conversation you can give yourself when you're being a good friend to yourself. I've found that when I'm feeding myself with "comfort foods" that what I'm actually doing is shutting myself away from the world and my internal voice. I might be stressed or just tired, and I'm sure as a mom to 4 little ones, that has to happen to you a lot. Don't ignore it. Be a friend to yourself and remember to use the same compassion and encouragement in your internal dialogue as you would use with your own children. I've found that I just feel better about myself when I do this, and when I feel better and can keep myself from "shutting down and just eating", I don't crave the unhealthy stuff as much.

Couldn't have said it better! So true! You can do this girl! We've all got your back! Tell you what?!?!? When you have a rough day and you don't think you can say the things you need to say to yourself...hit me up! Tell me the downer & I'll say what you need to hear to get through! :flowerforyou: