am I alone 43 and dealing with menopause. Learning to love myself and become more healthy.

Options
Please add me? for us to support each other on this journey to become more healthy. I am 43 years old dealing with menopause.my current weight is 170 I'm 5'5 my goal is 140 by June of this year. I am using the atkins diet/Keto plan

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    hi hun. i had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and have in the past year started meno. i just turned 44 in november. i weigh 151 and my goal weight is 124 (i'm 5' 6") i am trying to lose all my weight by august 1st. feel free to do a FR on me. i'm headed to the gym, but will respond later. :smile: hang in there!
    :flowerforyou:
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and things are definitely winding down for me. I hadn't expected it this young, as my mother was in her 50s, I think, when her cycles stopped.
  • pallasathene
    pallasathene Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had a hyster three years ago and ten pounds slowly piled on. I started a low dose estrogen patch last week. I figure now before I start gaining any more weight and start having bothersome symptoms.
  • meredithmz
    Options
    hi hun. i had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and have in the past year started meno. i just turned 44 in november. i weigh 151 and my goal weight is 124 (i'm 5' 6") i am trying to lose all my weight by august 1st. feel free to do a FR on me. i'm headed to the gym, but will respond later. :smile: hang in there!
    :flowerforyou:

• thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I too just turned 43. I had a hysterectomy in 2009. I started my journey at 205 pounds (my heaviest weight EVER O.o). This morning I weighed in at 175.8. I am 5'6" and my goal weight is 155 by June 1st. I am terrible with diets, so I don't. I merely log everything I eat, stay at a caloric deficit, limit my alcohol consumption, and move more. I am always tweaking my workout routines to help keep me from plateauing.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am 43 too - how do you know when menopause is starting?
  • meredithmz
    Options
    Hi, thanks for sharing your story. You sound like friend material :) . It's a lot harder dealing with what we're dealing with, I'm doing keto / atkins what's your fitness plan? About 13 years ago I weighed over 230 pounds after a nasty divorce and separation. I lost all that weight in less than a year was down to around one 120 somewhere in there. I've been remarried for 10 years now to a wonderful man. I moved to Colorado from Florida 11 years ago. And the last few years threeto be precise I have been gaining and losing gaining and losing vicious cycle. I'm 170 today and I just like to get back down to at least 140 I'd be so happy which I'm happy now but more healthy I should say.i'm so scared of going back into that cycle of being obese and I'm happy.this menopausal stuff/crap has me really messed up metabolically I believe. I'm doing the ketosis plan high fats and mid range protein and low carb. And I'm feeling great doing this Somedays I only eat one meal a day. I've been staying strong for last 13 days I've only lost 8 pounds the first week. I started my period yesterday. That I've not had in 2 months. I think it's effecting my weight loss right now. Been kinda bummed out for I'm not dropping the pounds like I have before. The first time I tried keto I lost 26 pounds in a month. That I gained back.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    dizzzigrl wrote: »
    For me it was night sweats, messed up memory, and then in the last year my cycles started getting closer together and shorter, then longer and further apart. In November I missed my first cycle since my last baby 15 years ago, and then I had 2 cycles in a month!

Google perimenopause and look for a list of symptoms.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have sent you a friend request...I am also 43 and while not going through menopause yet...I am pretty sure I'm in the premenopause stage. Anyway I am currently at 194 so a long way to go!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    dizzzigrl wrote: »

Menopause is when you have not had a period in at least one year. If you have periods here and there, with sweats etc...it's called perimenopause.

OP My periods stopped at 40 and I am 46. I haven't had a hysterectomy or anything. I am losing weight by following MFP logging my foods and exercising everyday.

• Cheryllynnhagen
    Cheryllynnhagen Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There is a wonderful book "Menopause Makeover" that I am finding very helpful with understanding all the symptoms and what can be done about it. I was on estrogen patches for 13 years then I said enough (they are expensive)but now I am hot and cold all night long. I hear you!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I am in peri (per doctor's labs) and EVERYTHING is wonky. Feel free to add me if you'd l like!

Dizzigrl, sometimes you don't know. I knew first via labs. It was a full year after that that I began having "symptoms." However, the biggest - for most women - is generally that your period goes wonky. I used to basically be able to set my watch by my period ;) and then as of last year, I'll have an 18 day cycle...then a 45 day one...then a 24 day one...I really just never know.

If you know your ovulation "signs" (I do), you may notice that you're having months where ovulation doesn't happen at all.

Some women get hot flashes (not me, yet) and because of the hormonal fluctuations, you may feel like you're having PMS when you know you're not about to get your period. I sometimes have no PMS at all; other cycles, I'll have what feels like PMS several times before I actually get my period.
  • becomingmeagain29
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy back in 2007 and I am 43. I started slowly gaining a pound or two hear and there. I'm 5'6" and my heaviest was 151lbs. I'm currently 143. It has been a constant battle. I drop a few, gain it back. Start to get into shape, then sit on my butt. I love good food and good wine. Limiting those or even excluding them is the reason for my roller coaster. I love how I feel after I work out, but I fight myself to do it. I just try to remember that I will love the results and that it took years to put this weight on, it will at the very LEAST take weeks to get it off. Good Luck in your journey and just remember that you are the one making the decision to do this, so if you (me) fail, we are only hurting ourselves and our goals.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Side question here. I had a hysterectomy several months ago, but kept one ovary. I don't have periods anymore but still feel the cycles - mostly the one time of the month when I just want to eat constantly. Is it because of the hormonal cycle still happening with the one ovary? Sort of a period without the period?