Starting again....

Options
Hi. I have tried to start this journey at least a dozen times but havent found the motivation to keep at it until recently. I discovered that I have high blood pressure and through blood testing found through an A1C test that I am more than likely a type 2 diabetic. No insurance prevents me from going to the doc. At any rate I have chosen to try and loose some weight in order to help my health issues. But finding support and help through all the ups and downs seem to hard to find.

I am a single mom of 4 boys. Just started a new career as well. This will be a year of many firsts for me and i plan to accomplish plenty. I am wanting to lose 40 lbs with a longer term goal of 70 lbs. I think moderation is key to alot of life's struggles.

I willbe doing my best to log everyday. I am trying to eat a mostly clean diet but not beating myself up for mistakes made. I am a member at a gym and hope to make more use of it. I hope to actually be able to find local friends to meet up with and walk with etc. I live in the west valley of Arizona.

Good luck to each and everyone on their journey.

Replies

• taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    you are truly making this a New Year New You.
    Sometimes it takes the doctors 'jolt' to make us mean this.
  • MizGeeV
    MizGeeV Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's the same for me. I've been on MyFitnessPal for over a year, and in the past few years have started/re-started trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I'm at it again for 2015! Good luck to both of us!
  • peacewithmybody
    Options
    you can do it!!!

I believe in you.

good luck!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how many times you fall you just have to get up 1 more! Good luck on your journey.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I too am restarting after some health issues. You can do this! It is easier if you do it in steps though. If you don't mind, I'll tell you what worked for me. First, you have to WANT to be healthier, despite your cravings and desire to not work out. So, the first 'thing' I did was to tell myself that I was going to walk 30 minutes a day. Every single day. No change in diet, just walk. After 2 weeks of that I noticed that my thighs were a little bit toned! Motivation! So I started logging my food on MFP. ALL OF IT. The good, bad and ugly. I saw how poorly I was eating. :( I also saw how many calories it would take me to walk and burn off just one cookie. No thanks! I learned that I could eat healthier food and stay full longer! Win win. Then the weight started to fall off, slowly, about 2lbs a week or less. Then it slowed... bummer, but I learned that I had to measure too because I was building muscle that wasn't there before. Well, they were THERE, they were just getting bigger. Then I found out that I could actually eat more food and not gain weight because said muscles were burning more calories per day than the old fat was! The best part was dropping a blood pressure medication after losing 20lbs! I was already maxed out on 1 and had been taking another, and like you, I had some blood sugar issues. I was told that I was pre-diabetic. Having both parents and all 3 siblings with diabetes, I did NOT want to go down that path! My grandfather actually died from it. :( Anyway, my point is, do it for you for the reasons you already know. Write them down, put notes on the frig or wherever. Don't have junk food in your house period, your kids will get used to it and if they are like mine were, they will get junk food from other places (parties, school, church, etc.) anyway. Have a 'treat' day. We have a BAD treat once a week, always! We still lost weight doing it and it made us not crave junk as much. Every Friday, we would have a SINGLE serving of something 'bad', like a small DQ blizzard, ice cream cone, candy, whatever. It helped us a lot. Make a list of why you want and need to get healthy and beside it, make a list of the reasons why you dont want to continue down the path of poor health. It's a good reminder to stick to your plan. If you have problems, for example, blisters from working out, there are solutions! Chafing on thighs? Yes, there are solutions! Do not give up! If you have a problem, search the forums! Add lots of friends on here and they will help you and you can help them. This is for you and you can do it! Sorry it was so long. I just want to try and help because I KNOW how hard it is. (((hugs))) You can add me if you want. I just re-started yesterday!
  • Crystalrose124
    Crystalrose124 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • MamaHen78
    MamaHen78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend