Work Out Accountability

Options
I need a buddy! I plan to work out every day, but something ends up happening and I use it for an excuse not to go to the gym. Yesterday, I had to go pick up a friend who's car broke down... so I ended up not going. I know I'm just making excuses and if I REALLY wanted to go I would. I think if I had a buddy to be accountable to... and to hold accountable, it would help. Anyone else in the same boat? Wanna pal to message daily about workouts, success, tips, questions, goals, etc.??

A little about me:

I'm 32, 5'6", no kids... single but getting married June 25 (yay!). I currently weigh 180 and haven't lost anything in the past week. I KNOW if I don't get serious about working out this plateau is probably here to stay for awhile. I have a lot of experience in the gym and have played sports most of my life. I actually like working out, AFTER I get done doing it. Seems all I'm lacking is motivation.

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Ooo! Pick me! Lol
  • ilovethelaw07
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm getting married next April, so I'm in a similar boat. Love your dress by the way!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    OMG! I need this accountability as well. I would like to run the half marathon in fall, but i keep wimping out if the weather isn't perfect (which is never, haha) Feel free to add me!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I'm SO in the same boat! I always dread starting exercise even though I feel good about it afterwards. There's always so many reasons (excuses) not to go!!!

I started taking a zumba class last month & I really enjoy it so that has been a huge help. Everything else just seems like work but this is actually fun so I never miss a class. If only I could find a way to make walking, running or strength training more fun???

Oh, and I find having a class with a specific time and place that I need to be helps too. If I leave myself to my own devices to exercise I rarely ever get it done. I do try to have a back-up plan/bare minimum that I do at home before bed even if I can't manage to do anything else. I figure it's better to do a few push-up, sit-ups & squats than nothing at all and it keeps my mind somewhat in the right place to keep me going.

Not sure if I'll be much help but you can friend me if you'd like and we can see if we can work something out to get us off our butts!
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but I schedule my runs and workouts each week, just like I would schedule a meeting (I'm a teacher). I basically put it into my calendar. That way, barring some emergency, I don't have many excuses. If I happen to have a busy week, I figure out the best times for me to get in my runs. I don't leave it to chance, hoping my schedule will work out.
    A good example is my weekly long run. If we make plans to be out on the weekend I make sure that I don't schedule my long run for the next morning. I also schedule my runs for immediately after work. If I get home, have dinner, etc. there's less chance I'll go. I generally bring my running gear to work and run right from the school, or drive to my desired running location prior to getting home. I miss very few runs this way.
    Good luck!
  • DebraBuschman
    DebraBuschman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but I schedule my runs and workouts each week, just like I would schedule a meeting (I'm a teacher). I basically put it into my calendar. That way, barring some emergency, I don't have many excuses. If I happen to have a busy week, I figure out the best times for me to get in my runs. I don't leave it to chance, hoping my schedule will work out.
    A good example is my weekly long run. If we make plans to be out on the weekend I make sure that I don't schedule my long run for the next morning. I also schedule my runs for immediately after work. If I get home, have dinner, etc. there's less chance I'll go. I generally bring my running gear to work and run right from the school, or drive to my desired running location prior to getting home. I miss very few runs this way.
    Good luck!

GREAT advice! I use a calendar for just about everything else. It amazes me I never thought to calendar work outs. Thanks!