Working at a desk

Options
I know that it's possible to be healthy no matter what circumstances you find yourself in, so I wanted to reach out to you all to see if you have any tips about being healthy at a job where you are required to sit at a desk for more than 8 hours a day. I eat well at the office and exercise when I get home, but I just wonder if there's more I can do to minimize the negative effects of sitting all day.

Replies

• ashmurray1616
    ashmurray1616 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I set a timer that lets me know when I have been sitting for 30 mins. When the timer goes off, I get up and stretch and take a lap around the office. I also make "excuses" to walk. Don't email, walk to that person and talk to them instead. Get a small water bottle that way you drink it faster and have to walk to fill it up more often. Use a trash can that is not in your office. Walk at lunch. Use a bathroom that further away from you.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything out of ordinary walking wise while I am at work... I am at my desk A LOT but I do get up to stretch out when I get stiff. I just focus on my foods and since I know I can sit here and snack all day, I just bring me a batch of apples or whatever to snack on :)
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also work at a desk all day. I have a couple of co-workers who sit on a balance ball instead of a regular chair to work their core muscles all day. I'm thinking of bringing in mine and trying it.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm a university student and doing research, so I'm sitting a LOT at school. I do the timer thing, too. Every hour, I get up and move, stretch, walk the halls, get more water, etc. for 5-10 minutes. If I do that 5 times a day, that adds up to 5,000 extra steps (I Fitbit <3 ) than if I don't.

It's not only good for fitness and health--it's good for (my) productivity to take planned breaks, too.
  • ElizabethNJ
    ElizabethNJ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. I have a refillable 16 oz cup so I have to get up and refill that often, plus not only does drinking water benefit me, but it makes me have to get up to use the bathroom which is pretty far so I'm forced away form my desk to get up stretch a bit, and take the long way there and back. My office is pretty old school, so no balancing balls or any cool/helpful things like that.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Every lunch break, I take a 30-45 minute walk and eat while doing some menial task at my desk to save time. Also, drink plenty of water to make sure you have to get up to use the bathroom every 60-90 minutes. Helps increase circulation, breaks up the monotony of work, and increases your water intake.