Breastfeeding

I'm not sure if the nutrition for a breastfeeding mom should be different. Any thoughts?

Replies

• bindisdesign
    bindisdesign Posts: 8 Member
    You should be eating about 500 extra calories per day (more if breastfeeding twins or tandem breastfeeding). Your healthy fats intake should be a little higher (think avocado or occasional tuna fish). I think it's more about limiting the bad fats, cholesterol and junk food and more about exercising and being active vs. trying to count calories.

Your body is doing a lot of work to feed your little one. Good job on breastfeeding! It's hard. My daughter and I have made it to almost 7 months.
  • bindisdesign
    bindisdesign Posts: 8 Member
    I should clarify - that is 500 more calories than your recommended caloric intake.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    You need more calories when you are breastfeeding. Some people experience drops in their supply if their calories go too low. Try setting your goal to 1/2 pound per week. With your calories burned from breast feeding, you will probably end up losing 1 or more pounds per week, but it's a small enough deficit that you shouldn't see a huge drop in supply. If your supply falls, you might have to raise your calories. If it is fine, you might be okay to drop more calories, but let your weight loss and hunger be your guide. If your diet hasn't changed since you were pregnant and your nutrition was fine then, it should be fine now.
  • carepear
    carepear Posts: 8 Member
    How old is your baby? If its a young baby, yes 500 is a good base line. I'm breastfeeding a two year old and 500 is too much. I tried to eat it :) but didn't lose weight.

Also, some moms are different and need a lot more than 500 to even maintain weight. Just pay attention, don't cut too much at one time and keep an eye on your supply. After a year, your supply is less sensitive but if you have a newbie just be careful to eat enough to maintain your supply.