Ounces vs. fluid ounces

Options
So lately, I just figured out the different between ounces and fluid ounces. Meaning I've been measuring my food wrong and I'm curios about the calories I've been in taking. 1 cup of ceral is 110 calories. I've been measuring 1/2 cup of calories in a liquid ounces and making it 55 calories. Would the weight ounces make a difference ?? Along with other food? Like I measured half a cup of corn too.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I measure liquids in cups/milliliters and solids in grams. Seems to be the most accurate.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine. If the label lists cup or spoon measurements, you can use your regular measuring cups/spoons to get close to 1 serving. Where you would have a problem is if you are using a food scale and weighing your food but using the cup weight instead of the box weight. For example, if your cereal is 110 calories for 1 cup measured and you eat 8 oz by weight, you would be eating a lot more food than you have accounted for.

Weighing is most accurate, but if your foods have cup/spoon measurements, you will get a mostly accurate tally by using your cups and spoons, but remember, too, that the measurement is for a level cup/spoon, not rounded or heaping.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Always go by the grams for servings on labels. For example, it will usually say something like, 1 cup or 28g (just an example). You would weigh out 28 g. Not 8 oz.
  • Alibaeee
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I measure liquids in cups/milliliters and solids in grams. Seems to be the most accurate.
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    I think you are fine. If the label lists cup or spoon measurements, you can use your regular measuring cups/spoons to get close to 1 serving. Where you would have a problem is if you are using a food scale and weighing your food but using the cup weight instead of the box weight. For example, if your cereal is 110 calories for 1 cup measured and you eat 8 oz by weight, you would be eating a lot more food than you have accounted for.

Weighing is most accurate, but if your foods have cup/spoon measurements, you will get a mostly accurate tally by using your cups and spoons, but remember, too, that the measurement is for a level cup/spoon, not rounded or heaping.
    Thank you helps a lot (: