How to break a plateau? Any and all suggestions are welcome! Please!

Options
So far, I've managed to lose about 74 pounds; granted it took me 5 years to lose the first 50 and keep it off and then I decided I want to lose about 100 total so I began vigilantly again last summer - I lost 25 additional pounds since last June. I follow IIFYM and I lift 3-4 times a week and I run about 15-18 miles per week as well. I have not lost anything since the week before Christmas, I have actually gained and lost the same 3 pounds. Prior to this I was lifting 5-6 times per week and running about 5-10 miles per week; when the plateau started I figured increasing my cardio would help push me from any holiday weight gain as well as break my plateau; it didn't - so I added a little more cardio with intervals, still nothing, I re-calibrated my macros, nothing; started drinking more water, nothing, I had a cheat meal, nothing. I'm pretty much out of ideas and I could really really use some help. I have the weight to lose, trust me, I should probably lose more than just the 100, but I'd like to wait and see what I look like and how I feel once I get there - I am 5'3 and I weigh between 186-189 so my goal is about 155-160 for now. I can't think of any other information to give that will help you help me so please ask me any questions, if you'd like, take a look at my diary as well.

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    have you recalculated your calorie intakes based on your new goals/weights/exercise? I know that with TDEE calculators, I have to go readjust everything every 10lbs lost or so... then I have to change macros etc.. lol
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Aside from the obvious (making sure you're eating less than you're burning)... I was reading, last night, about the "whoosh effect". I saw it described here and googled it. I dunno if it's a real thing but I'm also diligently working out and counting calories (and I eat 1200 calories) so it's impossible for me not to lose anything in a week (that's what my scale shows). Add to that the fact that I underate (was running around over the weekend) and didn't get close to 1200 calories on those days. I know a week isn't a plateau but my logic tells me that it's gotta be water weight. I ate a lot of seafood (mostly shrimp) so that could be it. Are you eating a lot of sodium?

From what I read on the "whoosh", and I'm paraphrasing, our fat cells get depleted when fat is burned for energy and they fill up with water as opposed to shrinking. It's like the cells are waiting for the fat to be restored so they don't shrink. The extra water makes it seem like the scale isn't moving and you don't look smaller either. Finally, the water filled cells "realize" there isn't any fat coming so they shrink and people have noted substantial drops in weight overnight. I'm talking 4lb to maybe even 6lbs. And some people have successive days of drops.

I think something like this happed to me a few months ago. I need it to happen again because I'm working too hard for this to be stagnant! Also, I "heard" that you can force the "whoosh" by having a high carb day and/or drinking alcohol (not beer or fruity drinks, straight up spirits). I tried drink an ounce or two of tequila but the scale still didn't move. I guess you have to drink more than that? I dunno. I will just wait for it to drop because I know my calorie counting and workouts are solid. And at 1200 calories, there is no way I am not at a deficit.

Look up the "whoosh" and see for yourself. Hope you get things sorted out!
  • Selena125t
    Selena125t Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add - I weigh everything, including my coffee creamer if I have any, down to the oz and grams.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. If you are not losing, you are not in a calorie deficit. I know that is as basic as it gets, but that is the answer.
  • Selena125t
    Options
    Eat less, move more. If you are not losing, you are not in a calorie deficit. I know that is as basic as it gets, but that is the answer.

Wow! I had no idea - did you actually read my original post?...you would have known that I am moving more, but thank you for your help! Like I said I appreciate ALL answers.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    well I just did some math (it's my thing lol) and got you where you should eat approx 1900 per day... if you are still working out 5-6 days per week...

Maybe start with there and tweak it after a few weeks :)

When I first started in 2010, I fell into the 1200 calorie crap and I hit a wall and NOTHING helped, I got smart and started eating more and weight started pouring off. I don't know why but it did - may or may not work for you but it is worth a shot :)
  • prattiger65
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Selena125t wrote: »

Wow! I had no idea - did you actually read my original post?...you would have known that I am moving more, but thank you for your help! Like I said I appreciate ALL answers.

I did, and I don't mean to be harsh, but if you aren't losing, you aren't in a calorie deficit. It is science. I have been there myself, gaining and losing the same 3 or so pounds. You have to change the energy equation. Either reduce your intake, or raise your output.
    ETA: sometimes it takes a little time to see a change . So maybe you need to keep doing what you are doing and be patient.
  • Selena125t
    Options
    Selena125t wrote: »

I did, and I don't mean to be harsh, but if you aren't losing, you aren't in a calorie deficit. It is science. I have been there myself, gaining and losing the same 3 or so pounds. You have to change the energy equation. Either reduce your intake, or raise your output.
    ETA: sometimes it takes a little time to see a change . So maybe you need to keep doing what you are doing and be patient.

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to try to help me out. I've had a few other people (not actively trying to lose weight) also say that I should just be patient, but you know when you're really putting in a lot of effort and no reward you get very close to that precipice of wanting to give up.
  • prattiger65
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How well I know!!! I feel your frustration and I sympathize. Look, you have lost a bunch of weight, you know how to do it, I am just reminding you what you already know. It really is a math and science equation.
    EDITED....nevermind, you had posted your stats
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    well I just did some math (it's my thing lol) and got you where you should eat approx 1900 per day... if you are still working out 5-6 days per week...

Maybe start with there and tweak it after a few weeks :)

When I first started in 2010, I fell into the 1200 calorie crap and I hit a wall and NOTHING helped, I got smart and started eating more and weight started pouring off. I don't know why but it did - may or may not work for you but it is worth a shot :)

^^ THIS
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have you not lost a single ounce since before Christmas? If that's the case then maybe you should just cut back 100 calories a day for a while and see if you lose a couple ounces within the week, just so you *know* you can lose on a greater deficit.

I've been using MFP since last February successfully. I planned to eat maintenance a few times during the holidays and did. Gained a bit from water weight as I expected, since I ate more but not enough to really gain fat. That stayed for a few days then started slowly coming off. Now I'm almost back to where I was, my lowest, before Christmas. It seems like a stall on the one hand, because I've not seen a new low, but really its just me getting back on track I think.

I expect I'll see a loss to a new low within a week or so. Things just aren't moving as fast as they were when I had more to lose, or when I was outside when the weather was decent and I was moving a lot more.

55835802.png

• prattiger65
    Options
    Selena, here is what I would do if I woke up in your shoes. I would eat 2000 calories per day and set my macros as follows. 40% carbs (800cal.200g) 30% protein (600 cal. 150g) 30% fat (600 cal. 66g) That's a few more calories than you are eating now. I suspect that you are eating more than you think currently, it is easy to do. Weigh your food with a food scale and be sure you are accurate. Measure your liquids and be sure you are accurate. Nothing goes in your mouth that hasn't been weighed or measured. you should actually lose very slightly at 2000 even without exercise so you don't really need to go overboard with it. I believe, assuming you have no underlying medical condition, that if you do this, you will begin to lose weight. You may see a slight increase in weight to begin with, actually, I would expect it, but you should see it begin to drop by week 2. I cannot emphasize enough you must weigh ALL solid food and measure ALL liquid (that has calories). I hope this helps! And just an fyi, I lost 60lbs. and thought I had it made, relaxed on my weighing and measuring, and before I knew it, I had gained about 20 back. I am now headed back down by doing what I suggested to you. Good luck.
  • astrose00
    Options
    OP, I encourage you to research your issues on the internet. I found a bunch of stuff yesterday. There's no way for us to know whether you are eating more than you burn, although I do believe you. You seem very certain about it and I am the same way. I ONLY eat 1200 calories and I also do weights and cardio. There is no way in the high heavens I am eating more than I am burning. I think it boils down to weight loss not being linear. I think our bodies are so complex and reactionary that this could be a matter of your body holding onto extra water due to "whoosh" (if that's really a thing) or too much sodium or whatever. I think it will work itself out soon.

Please add me as a friend so I can follow your progress (and vice versa). We have similar weight loss goals.

One thing that stood out to me in your original post is that you mentioned trying quite a few "things" to get the scale to move. Since Xmas was about 3 weeks ago, that seems like a short time to see if any individual thing actually worked. I would think you'd need to observe each change for at least a week, no?

Good luck!!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

I had a monthlong plateau in Nov./Dec., despite mostly eating below my calorie goal (there were Thanksgiving & Christmas, of course) and exercising regularly.
    But I believed in science, so kept doing what I'd been doing: eating less than my body needed.
    And I eventually started losing again.
    Of all you listed in your first post, the only thing that's not going to help is eating more calories (cheat meal).

Here are 2 somewhat unusual suggestions, with quotes from & links to the scientific studies which back them up (in my blog posts).

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.

Eat about half your calories for breakfast, a medium lunch & small dinner (see the last half of this post for the studies).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

51637601.png
  • tareuhsweeknee
    Options
    Don't know the truth in this but it makes since to me. I've heard to change what u eat and actually spike ur calorie intake for a few days and then go bacterial to being extremely strict and change ur workout routin up. It shakes up what ur body's use to
  • tareuhsweeknee
    Options
    Back not bacterial :P
  • astrose00
    Options
    Oops, one more thing, lol. Years ago, I lost a good amount of weight. I noticed that the scale would move mostly after my rest days. I was working out like a maniac everyday and wasn't allowing myself recovery time. Then I voluntarily skipped a few workouts because I was exhausted, and the scale started moving. Sleep and rest are really important to weight loss and muscle recovery. With the right combo of rest, water, CICO, I think you will start moving again...
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Shake it up a bit. Your body is designed to avoid prolonged weight loss which is why you enter plateaus when you have been losing weight for a longer period of time. Change your exercise regime so you are doing something quite different. Do the same to your meals. For example, if you are having cereal and milk for breakfast, change this to cooked breakfast with a lighter lunch. If you go for a long walk most nights, change this to a gym work out in the morning etc.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    Folks, it really is as easy as the energy equation. There is no hocus pocus, we cant "trick" our bodies or metabolism. If you are burning more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. that is inarguable fact. If you go an extended period of time without weight loss, you are eating too much to lose weight. How you go about getting in a calorie deficit may be hard, but the science is easy.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Folks, it really is as easy as the energy equation. There is no hocus pocus, we cant "trick" our bodies or metabolism. If you are burning more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. that is inarguable fact. If you go an extended period of time without weight loss, you are eating too much to lose weight. How you go about getting in a calorie deficit may be hard, but the science is easy.

I need a like button.... :)