Do I eat before an early morning workout?

Options
Just signed up for an early morning zumba class 3x a week. I DO NOT do any exercising now so it should be a good laugh. QUESTION: The class starts at 5am. Should I eat something before I go? What do you recommend eating on the run??

WISH ME LUCK

Replies

• StartingOver4Me
    Options
    Just depends on your stomach. I can't eat befoe I work out in the mornings it makes me feel ill. But know people that have to or they feel faint. Just listen to your body.
  • Slaying_All_Day
    Slaying_All_Day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You don't want something to sit heavy on your stomach while you exercise, but you don't want to be starving either. I suggest a apple or some other piece of fruit. Good luck!
  • pinkchick2006
    pinkchick2006 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes eat because it is WAY easier to not stuff your face afterward and youll have more energy which you will need for Zumba!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have to or I'd probably pass out but I have a friend who goes to the gym super early and she always just drinks some oj before she goes.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I often have early morning workouts and I have found that yogourt before class works best for me. Yogourt or a piece of fruit will give you some much needed fuel after a night's sleep.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I think it's all personal preference. I do not eat before my 5am workout because I don't like to workout after I eat. Yesterday I had to workout after dinner instead of in the morning, and I felt full and gross and got a stitch in my side. If you are the type of person that can't function without something in your stomach, then maybe have something light.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I can't but if you do eat at least 30 mins before the class and like someone said make it lite. A apple, banana...a small amount of fruit.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It depends on you.
    If its weight training, then you probably need to have some food in your system.

If its cardio, you're fine. Look into a bcaa powder maybe, Something to sip on while running
  • timlyter
    timlyter Posts: 3
    Options
    For me, I need something after a workout... usually oatmeal after a run or protein bar after weight training.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways. I had a clif bar once and noticed that I had a lot more energy for my cardio. But sometimes food doesn't always settle in time for my workoout. ( I wake up at 4:15am and leave the house by 4:30am.) I generally have a large protien filled bkfst afterwords!
  • auderj
    auderj Posts: 1
    Options
    Try a 1/2 turkey sandwhich. Wheat bread is best but white bread will work. This will give you the energy you need to make it through your work out and then the protein from the turkey will help sustain you untill you can have breakfast. This was suggested from a nutritionist. Good luck on your Zumba..
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I feel puky if I eat before a workout....I fuel up after....protein....
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    some fruit or fresh fruit juice will help you
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat some carbs before you workout. Fruit is the best option, it doesn't have to be a full meal. As long as your body has some fuel to burn.
  • JCubbins
    JCubbins Posts: 92
    Options
    Before my morning run I eat half of a banana. Once I didn't have time to eat - I thought I was going to faint and vomit.... :/
    But it really depends, I think you should try eating and not eating and do what's better :)
  • ematagi
    ematagi Posts: 9
    Options
    Depends on what your trying to do. Eating something (doesnt matter what)before working out, just know that you will burn that off first which will mostly be glucose (sugar) before getting into fat storage. If you workout on an empty stomach, u will burn fat first. I have tried both ways, and have found that working out in the morning without food works best for my weight loss progression. Some people advise eating a something first thing before working out, it gives you energy to maximize your workout results, eating nothing however, you'll be a tired, but your body will reach a point where you will push through that tiredness and really burn some serious fat. HTH.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I wake up in just enough time to get ready to workout and start (4:15AM). I would have to wake up even earlier if I want to eat something. I have been working out in the morning since January 3rd of this year and I do not eat before. But that's me. Like someone else mentioned you need to listen to your body.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Eating first thing kick starts your metabolism and helps you got get the max burn. It also can help keep you from getting light headed.

I do not believe you'll burn what you just ate first as the body has to do some processing before it can turn food into fuel. Just the same as it has to process food before turning it into waste. Which is why we don't have potty chairs at our dinner tables. You can't even have food poisoning until after about eight hours.

Personally I'll have something light like a power bar or a banana, work out, shower and then have breakfast.