I'm a newbie, anyone want to look at my diary?

Options
I stopped logging exercise, but I do 30 mins of cardio and about 15-20 mins of weights 5 days a week. Is anyone out there willing to just see what I'm eating and let me know of any critique/thoughts/tips?

Replies

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, here... It looks like you aren't getting protein with all of your meals or hitting your protein goals on a daily basis. Not that big of a deal, but I find that protein helps keep me full. If it's working for you, then fine. I also noticed that you're not hitting your goal each day, but you're still eating quite a lot of calories while being under, so if it works for you, that's also fine. Not really any junk food, lots of variety. Looks like a normal diary to me.
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, here... It looks like you aren't getting protein with all of your meals or hitting your protein goals on a daily basis. Not that big of a deal, but I find that protein helps keep me full. If it's working for you, then fine. I also noticed that you're not hitting your goal each day, but you're still eating quite a lot of calories while being under, so if it works for you, that's also fine. Not really any junk food, lots of variety. Looks like a normal diary to me.

Thanks so much for looking over, I appreciate it. I'll try and up my protein a bit. I'm definitely eating a lot of food throughout the day, it's just that it's whole foods. Part of me wants to splurge on something to up my calories, but I fear I'll go down a path of binging.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    fitchlets wrote: »

Thanks so much for looking over, I appreciate it. I'll try and up my protein a bit. I'm definitely eating a lot of food throughout the day, it's just that it's whole foods. Part of me wants to splurge on something to up my calories, but I fear I'll go down a path of binging.

Since you're new and you're afraid of binging, I would, perhaps, continue with this new way of eating for a bit more before "splurging" on something. There are many many people on this site who are of the "eat what you want, but in moderation" and that's fine if it works for them, but I am one of those who it doesn't work for. I eat "healthy" foods throughout the week and have a "cheat" meal on Saturday evenings, staying under my maintenance calories. Before starting this four months ago, I ate probably 2500+ calories a day, including a lot of sweets. It was quite a change to cut back so much and eat better foods, so I didn't start incorporating the cheat meals in to my weeks until I was a month or so in. I waited until I felt I had a handle on my eating habits before attempting to incorporate more "splurgy" foods back in.

This is just what works for me. Your diary actually looks very similar to mine on a daily basis. I eat 1400-1600 calories a day and eat quite a lot of volume, as well.

It's probably going to be trial and error for a while. You'll have to find what works for you. You can try my method and add a "cheat" at the end of the week, or just try to incorporate more indulgent foods in to your day, while logging them and staying within your calorie goals.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale and weigh your food to log as accurately as possible.
    Eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.
    Get more protein in.
    Continue to log daily.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Get more protein in.
    Continue to log daily.

All this AND.... Have realistic expectations when it comes to weight loss. 8 lbs in 13 days is not sustainable. With 100 lbs to lose you may be able to lose 2 lbs/week initially, but eventually 1 lb/week and even 0.5 lb/week is recommended when you are closer to goal.

• fitchlets
    Options
    Thanks all! Truly appreciate the input. Can you explain to me how the food scale works?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Get more protein in.
    Continue to log daily.

All this AND.... Have realistic expectations when it comes to weight loss. 8 lbs in 13 days is not sustainable. With 100 lbs to lose you may be able to lose 2 lbs/week initially, but eventually 1 lb/week and even 0.5 lb/week is recommended when you are closer to goal.

All of this

Stop over thinking it, keep it simple.

It took me about 18 months to lose 100 lbs. There will be weeks you lose more weeks you'll lose nothing, some weeks the scale will go up. It's understanding that the this is a process, you don't have to be perfect but you need to be consistent. Learn moderation, learn portion control, learn about yourself. Learn to have patience.

Set realistic goals & expectations, also not just goals that involve the scale. :
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Get more protein in.
    Continue to log daily.

I'm going to agree with all of this.

And add: don't use "generic" entries. They can be off on their calories or macros. If you're eating a brand of item (i.e. Eggland's Best eggs) log that item. If you are eating a generic item (i.e. chicken breast), find the USDA entry and use that one.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Truly appreciate the input. Can you explain to me how the food scale works?
    They just mean to weigh your food instead of using cups or scoops. Depending on how your fill a cup with food it could weigh 20g-40g (for example) whereas weighing food is a more accurate way of determining calories. Food scales are cheap and can be bought in most large supermarkets.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like most of your food choices, at least 90% of them. I would cut back on dried fruits due to the sugar if possible, but if that's your treat for a good day of dieting and exercising, then don't sweat it.

Since you are exercising, I would increase protein intake. 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight. If you weight say 120 lbs, I would eat 120 grams of protein.

So try to get more protein for breakfast other than just fried eggs, maybe some turkey, roast beef or some additional egg whites. Have some chicken or fish for lunch and dinner. Snack on higher protein alternatives like cottage cheese, milk or soy milk, nuts, etc. if really necessary, you can add a serving of protein shake, but 120 grams of protein is not too hard if you can get a good portion of it during breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Since you're new and you're afraid of binging, I would, perhaps, continue with this new way of eating for a bit more before "splurging" on something. There are many many people on this site who are of the "eat what you want, but in moderation" and that's fine if it works for them, but I am one of those who it doesn't work for. I eat "healthy" foods throughout the week and have a "cheat" meal on Saturday evenings, staying under my maintenance calories. Before starting this four months ago, I ate probably 2500+ calories a day, including a lot of sweets. It was quite a change to cut back so much and eat better foods, so I didn't start incorporating the cheat meals in to my weeks until I was a month or so in. I waited until I felt I had a handle on my eating habits before attempting to incorporate more "splurgy" foods back in.

This is just what works for me. Your diary actually looks very similar to mine on a daily basis. I eat 1400-1600 calories a day and eat quite a lot of volume, as well.

It's probably going to be trial and error for a while. You'll have to find what works for you. You can try my method and add a "cheat" at the end of the week, or just try to incorporate more indulgent foods in to your day, while logging them and staying within your calorie goals.

:) And remember even those people who eat what they want in moderation now probably had to work up to that.

As far as cheats, lots of people swear by the weekly calorie balance. So say you consistently ate 100 less than your goal 6 times a week, that means on your cheat day, you can eat 600 over your goal, feel like you cheated or got a treat but still technically be averaging the same calorie intake!

For protein, I'd aim for 0.8 g of body weight (which is probably approx. 1 g per lb of lean weight). That or I find that a 30%/30%/40% protein/fat/carbs ratios work well for me.
  • fitchlets
    Options
    Ok, I'm getting more chicken and fish out of the freezer for more protein and I had just had some cheese. I truly appreciate all of you, especially those that have taken time out of their busy day to check my diary. I want to do as well as I possibly can. So thank you!
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It looks good, not a lot of super processed foods and lots of micronutrients. One thing I will say is that by not tracking your exercise you are ending up with a NET of calories that is a bit low and in the end it may make you want to go all out like you were saying. Some days you are at 1200-1300 calories and your 1500 goal is already a deficit. So if you're further burning even 200 calories at the gym you are netting only like 1000 calories.