What happen's after you make it to your goal weight?

Jenny56dreams
Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
edited September 27 in Success Stories
Ok so here's my problem........I started at 155lbs and now I'm down to 136. I have 6 more pounds to go before I'm at my goal weight. So what do I do after that? I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I ONLY drink water. (by choice, never really liked soda) Am I supposed to raise my calories? and if so to what?

Thank you! :)

6221414.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 843 Member
    Good question, one i would like to know as well!
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    there's a "maintain my weight" option...
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Just change your goals on this website to maintaining and you will be fine. It will up your calories,.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    set a new goal and maintain weight.
    start working on improving your body composition. You can work on building some muscle, then cut some more fat.
    130 pounds can look like two totally different things depending on how hard you're willing to work.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Ok so here's my problem........I started at 155lbs and now I'm down to 136. I have 6 more pounds to go before I'm at my goal weight. So what do I do after that? I'm eating 1200 calories a day and I ONLY drink water. (by choice, never really liked soda) Am I supposed to raise my calories? and if so to what?

Start now. Change your goal to 0.5lbs/week, this will give you more calories and once you hit your goal weight you can change to maintenance calories. With as little as you have to lose 1200 calories is too low and you are risking burning muscle, instead of fat. The closer you are to your ideal weight the smaller your caloric deficit should be.
  • se7enc
    se7enc Posts: 2
    Once you hit your goal weight, I'd recommend doing yoga or strength training to maintain your body weight but lower your body fat percentage.
    There have been several weeks in which I did not lose weight but did lose percentage points, which basically means I lost a pound or two of fat but gained it back in lean muscle.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Your computer self destructs...thanks for playing. =0) Sorry had to add a funny in there.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    There are a number of threads on maintenance here, so you could probably find some experiences, but for me, now approaching target weight, I'm slowing down my loss rate, getting used to eating a bit more, and getting a feel for the weight range that I'll be living between.

I imagine hitting target weight and then suddenly adding 500 cals to your budget would cause a scary imbalance and you could put a lot of weight back on.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903

Ask yourself this; is it just about the weight or your overall fitness? Would you like to be able to run faster, longer, learn kick boxing, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc? If it is just about the weight then eat your maintenance calories and moderately exercise. If it is about your fitness, pick a new goal and go for it. Depending on your goal, it may require more than maintenance calories.

For example my first goal is to get to around 16% body fat. After that I will switch from a calorie deficit to a calorie surplus to put on about 25lbs of muscle (or more) to hit my strength goals. Then I will switch back to a calorie deficit to cut the excess fat I gain while bulking. Once at my strength goals I will just eat my maintenance calories and focusing on other areas of fitness such as endurance, agility, fighting/mma, etc…

There is no point where I will stop trying to get better at something and will always have a fitness goal.

Congrats, by the way!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    I have to maintain my weight until October so I am in the same boat. I changed my goals to maintain my weight just this weekend and it was a shocker to see how many calories I get now. I went from 1350/day to 1900! Holy moly! I haven't been able to get over about 1600 a day yet and even then I feel way too full. So I would also suggest to start changing it now. Slowly decrease how much weight you want to lose (or slowly up your calories) so that by the time you are at the point where you want to maintain you can eat the calories. I changed mine to 1650 for now and my new goal is to eat that many in a day for a week before I go up another 100 calories.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    set a new goal and maintain weight.
    start working on improving your body composition. You can work on building some muscle, then cut some more fat.
    130 pounds can look like two totally different things depending on how hard you're willing to work.
    I agree 100% with this. Congrats and good luck!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Tools - BMR.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    My Home / Goals / Change Goals / Custom Goals / Change it to maintain. Follow that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member

Start now. Change your goal to 0.5lbs/week, this will give you more calories and once you hit your goal weight you can change to maintenance calories. With as little as you have to lose 1200 calories is too low and you are risking burning muscle, instead of fat. The closer you are to your ideal weight the smaller your caloric deficit should be.

Ditto. This is excellent advice and just so you know I have been doing this already since about 12 pounds to go. I am not at .5 pounds/week yet, but will be soon. I am a little below 1/week right now.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    I agree that it would be a good idea to start upping the calories now so that you have a 'soft landing'.

I'm finding it hard to work out my maintenance calories, as if i go with mfp's I'll keep losing, but others are the opposite. I've lost weight many times before, but maintenance is a new experience for me! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!