Mashed Cauliflower

Options
Lacey34
Lacey34 Posts: 25 Member
I made this again for dinner last night, and it is so delicious! My whole family eats it. With enough leftovers for lunch, we eat two heads.

It's really versatile, and depending on how much fat you want to add, you can do it lots of ways. Here is what I do:

Cut apart two heads of cauliflower in to chunks, and boil in chicken broth/water until it is really, really soft. Drain it, and press on it to push as mush water out as possible. (I use a potato masher) Put it back in the hot pan.

Add whatever you like with mashed potatoes. I usually use a small dollop of greek yogurt, and a tablespoon of Brummel and Brown. Mash it up. I use an immersion blender, so they are really smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.

Last night I stirred in sauteed onions and garlic, and topped with some parm cheese. Baked until cheese melted. Yum!

Replies

• KristynStephens15
    KristynStephens15 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I thought i was the only one that did this! =] I usually use 2 potatoes and a head of cauliflower. Very yummy and so much better for you!!!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    SOUNDS REALLY GREAT, THANKS ,RED
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I thought i was the only one that did this! =] I usually use 2 potatoes and a head of cauliflower. Very yummy and so much better for you!!!

I do like it with just the cauliflower, and it's obviously the most healthy way, but it's still not mashed potatoes :) ... However, I never thought of having a hybrid version! VERY interesting!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I made this again for dinner last night, and it is so delicious! My whole family eats it. With enough leftovers for lunch, we eat two heads.

It's really versatile, and depending on how much fat you want to add, you can do it lots of ways. Here is what I do:

Cut apart two heads of cauliflower in to chunks, and boil in chicken broth/water until it is really, really soft. Drain it, and press on it to push as mush water out as possible. (I use a potato masher) Put it back in the hot pan.

Add whatever you like with mashed potatoes. I usually use a small dollop of greek yogurt, and a tablespoon of Brummel and Brown. Mash it up. I use an immersion blender, so they are really smooth and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.

Last night I stirred in sauteed onions and garlic, and topped with some parm cheese. Baked until cheese melted. Yum!

That sounds delicious!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should steam the cauliflower instead of boiling it. You'll retain the maximum amount of nutrients in the cauliflower and you don't have to drain it or force out any excess water.
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about how I was going to prepare my cauliflower tonight...and how I could disguise it so my husband would eat some too! :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You should steam the cauliflower instead of boiling it. You'll retain the maximum amount of nutrients in the cauliflower and you don't have to drain it or force out any excess water.

I'm going to start using my steamer. How long does it normally take to steam veggies?
  • Lacey34
    Lacey34 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I dont know why I hadnt thought of steaming it... yes that does make sense. Thanks!

The addition of onions and garlic is so yummy! Of course, I think that almost everything is better with onions and garlic...
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you use a steamer bag, you can steam most vegetables in the microwave, and it only takes a few minutes. I'll have to try the mashed cauliflower.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I make this too and I agree...DELICIOUS! I use 2 heads of cauliflower & I steam them then use my immersion blender as well. Try adding a couple Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese wedges & a bit of grated parmesan...YUM!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I add a few cloves of garlic in with the cauliflower to let it steam - then I use a mixer to beat in light sour cream and a couple oz of cream cheese. It's worth the splurge calorie wise... ;) (to me, anyway)
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I also do this but do not add potatoes..just the cauli, salt pepper and a little margarine
    I also make faux potatoe salad , using cauliflower instead of potatoes..
    You can cut cauli real small and steam it, add a little soya sauce and it tastes just like rice :)
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I definitely like mashed cauliflower. If you have a food processor you can throw in some steamed caulifower with some nonfat half and half or skim milk with garlic. I somethimes add steamed carrots too. The blend of cauliflower and carrots is tasty because you get some sweetness from the carrots.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to try this when the farmers markets around here start up again :-)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I make this too and I agree...DELICIOUS! I use 2 heads of cauliflower & I steam them then use my immersion blender as well. Try adding a couple Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese wedges & a bit of grated parmesan...YUM!!

YUM! I just bought cauliflower last night and was trying to figure out how to get my 7 year old to eat it. He LOVES Laughing cow, so this might be the perfect recipe. :wink:
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This sounds tasty.
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, I love steamed cauliflower!

I substitute it for both potatoes and rice. Cooking for a husband who eats very low carbs is so much easier when I modify my recipes to include it. It makes great filler for stuffed cabbage rollls, meatloaf...I digress :)

And this is a great recipe. I usually add milk to my traditional mashed potatoes, but I don't bother with cauliflower...it gets a bit sloppy. Works great with butter though.