HELP!!!!!!!!!!! With Vegetables!

Options
Hello my name is Cassie, I have about 130 pounds to lose and I have been eating as many vegetables as I can and my body is loving it so much I have a digestive issue and veges help me digest and keep everything moving!! I feel fantastic! BUT I was reading up on Atkins because a friend of mine lost A TON of weight with Atkins and they are saying to not eat that many vegetables and fruit. So now Im not sure which route to go I feel super lost now. I make a vege shake in the AM that includes spinach, collard grees, half banana, a handfull of mixed berries, some ginger and water and I will usually eat a boiled egg and maybe some greek yogurt mid morning. Lunch is always protein and veges or sometimes just a HUGE vege salad and same as dinner. Ive been keeping within all of my food goals on here Im just worried if my vege intake is too high to lose weight. If anyone can help me that would be SO greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance and please feel free to add me!

Replies

• mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever veggies you want. Atkins isn't the way to go. It restricts your carbs saying that carbs make you gain, which is false. Eat what you want to lose weight. Don't follow a specific diet unless you want/need to for medical or ethical reasons.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    CatJill86 wrote: »
    Hello my name is Cassie, I have about 130 pounds to lose and I have been eating as many vegetables as I can and my body is loving it so much I have a digestive issue and veges help me digest and keep everything moving!! I feel fantastic! BUT I was reading up on Atkins because a friend of mine lost A TON of weight with Atkins and they are saying to not eat that many vegetables and fruit. So now Im not sure which route to go I feel super lost now. I make a vege shake in the AM that includes spinach, collard grees, half banana, a handfull of mixed berries, some ginger and water and I will usually eat a boiled egg and maybe some greek yogurt mid morning. Lunch is always protein and veges or sometimes just a HUGE vege salad and same as dinner. Ive been keeping within all of my food goals on here Im just worried if my vege intake is too high to lose weight. If anyone can help me that would be SO greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance and please feel free to add me!

That's the key. If you love vegetables, are within your goals and love the results you get from eating them, keep eating them.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eating too many vegetables is not bad for you. As long as stay at or near your calorie goal for the day your golden. Keep up the good work :)
  • CatJill86
    CatJill86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I do have another question though, do you guys track the calories of veges? Weight Watchers says no but idk if I should or not?
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Even though most vegetables are low in calories, I track them to keep an eye on my fiber intake. Plus, in case you decide to eat an entire field of broccoli you may go over for the day.
  • queenliz99
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, weigh your fruits and especially starchy vegetables and track it in your diary. Fruits and vegetables have calories too.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    Atkins works on the principle of putting your body into a state called ketosis which burns off fat. Although it has its proponents, to me it is not a healthy diet. Lots of non-starchy vegetables, some starchy veggies and fruit, and lean protein is the way to go. You are doing great.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I do have another question though, do you guys track the calories of veges? Weight Watchers says no but idk if I should or not?

WW gets away with considering some veggies as "free" because they set your points a little lower with the expectation that you'll be filling up on plenty of veggies. MFP doesn't do that, so if you're using the site/app to set your goals then you need to track your fruits and veggies.

• CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I followed WW for four years where fruits and veggies were considered zero points. They allotted for that in your daily points total. However, now that I'm using MFP to keep track of my foods, I'm realizing how many calories I was eating in fruits and starchy veggies. I didn't stop eating them but keep it within my calorie goal. I now weigh my carrots instead of just free eat them. No matter what, I don't think eating too many veggies was ever the root cause of my weight problem.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty suspicious of any "diet" that tells you vegetables are a bad thing. It's great that you are eating lots of them! Veggies are rich in fiber and micronutrients and tend to be low on calories per gram, so eating lots of them can help you achieve your goals. Just weigh and log them (everything has some calories, you may end up being happy to see how few your big plate of veggies had!) and stay in your calorie goals and you'll do well!
  • jaz100_nz
    jaz100_nz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight now and your body is feeling better you are on the right track. I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    No one diet fits all. Do what is right for you and makes you feel good.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally would recommend going the MFP route; that is only my recommendation. I don't like anything with "free" items, since it's not teaching moderation and calorie counting. There's plenty of get started threads on here that can explain the method many users on this website utilize.

If you buy a $20-$25 food scale, you can weigh what you eat, have accurate calorie logs, and be more confident in your intake.

Keep eating those veggies and fruits, and good luck!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    eat as many veggies as you want. the only caution is that iron is one vitamin that can poison you if you eat too much. eat all the colors of the rainbow, not just green
  • queenliz99
    edited January 2015
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    eat as many veggies as you want. the only caution is that iron is one vitamin that can poison you if you eat too much. eat all the colors of the rainbow, not just green

This is not true
  • queenliz99
    Options

Where is the scientific proof??
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

OK. Well, for starters, iron is not a vitamin. It's a mineral.
    And you can experience toxic effects from other, actual vitamins.
  • Catm226
    Catm226 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was once told by someone when I asked the same question. They told me that "we don't get fat for eating veggies". If veggies make you feel great then you shouldn't have to cut them out. Good Luck!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 lbs so far eating fruit in my shakes and veggies pretty much everyday. Atkins is a very strict diet. Many peoplle regain when they go off of it as well. Fruits and veg are good, full of fiber, nutrients life sustaining food. I did atkins when I was 25, all I did was lose a bunch of weight, got gallstones, then gained it back and then some. Just follow a calorie deficit and move your butt. As long as you dont have some weird food intolerances or medical condition, you will lose.

• nityamish
    nityamish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Cassie, I think that you can eat as many vegetables as you want except the ones high in Carb. I usually make a vegetable soup of Cabbage, Carrots, Broccolli, capsicum, few tomatoes, mushrooms and season it with garlic and italian herbs. It tastes wonderful and is very filling. However, its better if you keep a track of your calories, even when it comes to veggies. It'll help you know if the ratio of intake of protein, sodium, fat and carbs is fine, or you need any correction. :)