Tough Mudder?

2»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    You can do a Tough Mudder by walking most of it and skipping lots of obstacles - but as someone who has done a TM with a team member that was stronger than me, as well as with a team member who hadnt trained, prepared or given much care to their race - I would suggest being a bit over prepared.

Showing up to something like this, which brings recognition to the troops and the heroes and puts you into a position to push yourself and honor your own struggles as well, with the intention of half-butting it, coasting through on what you can barely get away with and being unprepared - comes across as seriously disrespectful to the course, the volunteers and the people putting it all together, as well as your team or those around you that have to carry you through it.

have respect for the adventure.

train and prepare yourself so you can get the most out of it and come out with your head up instead of injured or not even finishing.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    I'm training for one now. It'll be my first one though. Reading this thread I'm getting nervous.
  • yoovie
    Nervous is not a bad thing. Nervous makes you cautious, careful, prepared and respectful.

if your goals dont scare you at least a little, make bigger goals. ;)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    if your goals dont scare you at least a little, make bigger goals. ;)

^^^ YES! I tell myself that all the time.
    I did a Spartan Sprint last year and I was scared sh*tless. I showed up like 4 hours early just so I had time to calm myself down. I was terrified of the walls. How was I going to get my fat *kitten* over those walls? I learned REAL fast and they ended up being the easiest part. Now I can't wait to do it again... and I know what I need to work on to improve. Pull ups, pushups, run, run, run. Pull ups, pushups, run, run, run.
  • yoovie
    bump
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    DSC_4262-2.jpg?dl=0
    DSC_4293-2.jpg?dl=0
    DSC_4320-2.jpg?dl=0
    DSC_4428-2.jpg?dl=0

Here's some quality photos my friends wife took. BEST and TOUGHEST experience of my life! It was 85 degrees and humid the day we ran it so staying hydrated was tough! Highly recommend a team of 4 or more!

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    lottycat wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I did one in 2013, and am signing up for this years London South when I get paid tomorrow (these things don't come cheap!)

When I signed up for the last one I was the fittest I've ever been - still no athlete, but a regular gym visitor, could run 10k and had been doing a bit of weight/body weight training - only a bit though! Buuut as the event drew closer my personal life got a bit messed up and my training pretty much went out the window. So by the time it came around I was definitely not in the best shape, and no where near as prepared as I wanted to be. I actually had a total girl-meltdown the night before and nearly didn't do it.
    But my very supportive boyfriend and amazing team mates (who had also not done as much training as they'd have liked) got me there and in actual fact the day was amazing.

Here are my top points to help you out, from a normal girl, not an athlete.

1. Get a team. It's really no fun on your own, and unless you're a body builder some of the obstacles are pretty much impossible on your own.
    2. Run. It's 10-12 miles, so some running training really is essential. You don't need to be able to run 12 miles stright, each time you get to an obstacle you get a running break so if you can run 5-10k I think you'll be fine. Bare in mind a lot of the running is up and down hills so practice that. Also run out doors, on the beach, in the woods and on grass. Treadmills and roads are dull anyway and don't really prepare you.
    3. Don't stress the obstacles. They are mostly unpleasant, in a cold muddy wet way. It really is mind over matter. Most of them don't really involve loads of physical strength, just a positive attitude. There are loads of friendly folk that will help you out.
    4. You will need to do some strength training though - Obstacles like monkey bars, and rope climbing come up a lot. Realistically, very few people actually complete them without falling the water/mud below, but you'll feel bad if you don't give it a damn good go!
    5. Water. There is a lot of it. If you are scared of water or can't swim I really would advise against it. There's no shame in skipping out bits that you really can't/don't want to do - a few members of my team skipped bits. But there's no point in training and paying all that money if you are going to skip more than you do.
    6. HAVE FUN. My lasting memory of that day is that we laughed the whole way around the course. It really is fun. The sense of team work and comradery (sp?) is like nothing else I've ever experienced. You will have a blast.

In summery, no. You do not have to be a body builder or an athlete, just have a basic level of fitness. If you sign up now and start a training regime, even very slowly at first, I think anyone could do this. There are lots of very manly men there prancing about being macho, but I am a very geeky, girly, uncoorinated girl, and I did it. You definitely can.

This is really good info. Some friends and I are talking about doing it in June. I totally did not know what to expect. That is good to know you can skip or get help if you need it. I wear contact lenses so I am thinking I might need to go in blind so I wont lose them. LOL!

• CeeSmiley
    CeeSmiley Posts: 3 Member
    If you're based in South London and like fitness events check out this one:
    It's no tough mudder but it's for a good cause!

I'm hoping to do tough mudder this year so easing myself in with fitness events to build up my stamina. Found the hints and tips on here very useful!!

I was supposed to do it last year but chickened out. Fingers crossed for 2015!!

s4f3uu26bual.jpg
    p3xx7g8laqio.jpg
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    I managed to get a really bad cold a couple days before my first Tough Mudder (Sept 2014) I am also asthmatic so the cold made my symptoms flare up.

I was also in the worst shape I could have been going in, I literally stopped training after my Spartan Sprint in July of the same year. (Don't ask me why, I have no idea, I just lost all motivation for some reason)

I walked the entire course and managed to get through *most* of the obstacles. I was only with one other person, so if we came to a wall or to a rope climb and others weren't there to help we didn't necessarily make it because we lacked the conditioning.

I would say upper body strength is key, most of the obstacles require a lot of strength to pull yourself up or over things. Mental strength will get you through the rest - just keep pushing and don't give up. The other Mudders are AMAZING at helping you through and encouraging you. This is the main reason I signed up for another Mudder for 2015, camaraderie.

I learned from my mistakes and am already working on endurance and my strength now. I am not putting it off and I am recruiting to hopefully have a bigger team come Sept 2015

Most of all HAVE FUN! It's an amazing experience :smiley:
  • yoovie
    ^ NICE
  • CharleeEekhoff
    CharleeEekhoff Posts: 3 Member
    I've done 2 - if you want to do one, go for it. Don't be afraid of any aspect. Strength train and build your running base. Check out the TM website - they suggest training programs depending on your athletic level I believe. That's where I started with my first one. Conquer your fears! And have fun :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Would it be possible for someone to basically walk the entire course and skip every obstacle or say half azz some of them? Just wondering.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    It's possible, but I don't think that anyone who does that can legitimately claim to have "finished" the course. I mean, they did technically finish, but it's not in keeping with the spirit of the event.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    Would it be possible for someone to basically walk the entire course and skip every obstacle or say half azz some of them? Just wondering.

Yes, I know someone who did this.
    If you're slow, that's ok IMO, but I hate it when people don't put forth effort in events like TM. I feel like it cheapens it somehow.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    i dont think they are a good idea. running on a slippery surface is not safe and there is a plethora of bacteria in mud. plus, ruins your good shoes
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    edited January 2015
    I was looking at the spartan race website... They have one in my town in late October...

I don't know if I could get the upper body strength part of it by then... Climbing a rope! Gulp.

I think that may be more of a 2016 goal. Maybe aim for a 5 or 10 K this year.

Would it be possible for an out of shape beginner be ready for that in ten months?

Id love to have a goal to shoot for, and that looks like a lot of fun.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    I'm training for one now. It'll be my first one though. Reading this thread I'm getting nervous.

Exactly! I was going to post the question but figured I'd search it first (glad I did - 'cause here you all are) ... yikes to some of this. I'm all for the obstacles and a major challenge - something to really put me to the test, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about things that make my eyes water and my cuts sting ...
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    I'm training for one right now ('race' is in September).
    I don't know if the training I am doing right now is going to be as beneficial as I hope, since I have never done one before but I'm hoping.
    I run about twice a week (longest run currently was 9.4kms)
    I do the recommended Tough Mudder Circuit Training (hate it so much!!!) about twice a week.
    I do Hot Yoga (Flow or Foundations) 1-2 times a week.
    And I try to go for a hike every couple weeks.

As my fitness increases and as I get closer to the race I would like to add in another running day. Move from the easiest circuit training to the middle difficulty circuit training, and depending on my upper body strength I might add in a true weight lifting day.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    ElliottTN wrote: »

Yes, I know someone who did this.
    If you're slow, that's ok IMO, but I hate it when people don't put forth effort in events like TM. I feel like it cheapens it somehow.

not to mention it's like $150, right?
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    I would recommend a summer time tough mudder if you do one. It was like 35 degrees and raining when I ran mine thought I was gonna die of hypothermia lol. Other than that it was a really cool experience and i'm glad I did it!