Sugar addict! Oh my gosh I'm a sugar addict!

Options
I have been on MFP for a long time. A looooonnnnngggggg time... I had an account before the wonderful App. Last year I had lost over 20 pounds and was kicking butt until I fell and broke my foot at a mud run. 5 months non walking, surgery and 3 months of physical therapy allowed me every excuse I needed to gain it all back and more. Anyway, I am back at it and walking further everyday. After a week of logging and being careful I noticed this time is different. This time I am not losing weight. Week one yielded zero results. I was concerned and frustrated because after all, week one is usually a good week! Your body is in shock right? Well.... I noticed a big problem. I was over on Carbs and Sugar every single day! Not by just a little either. I KILLED IT! And worse, I craved sugar so bad by Friday that I would have walked barefoot across a bed of nails and rolled in hot coals to get it.

So who else is a sugar addict? How are you dealing with it? What are your substitutions? And for the love of all things tasty, what do you do for breakfast?

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm going to leave this here.

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

and for the record, I love sugar. I've just learned to balance it into my day. Going over on carbs and sugar (sugar is a carb) won't make you gain weight. Being in a calorie surplus does that.

Eta: this is a great link to get you started

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hm are you just looking for a breakfast that is low in sugar? Try eggs, bacon, cheese, nuts, or lox.
  • Gogo_Zowie
    Gogo_Zowie Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi Misty!
    Same thing here, I've been on and off MFP so often it's like a love and hate relationship!
    I'm a sugar addict too, but lately I tried to target what I really love in sweets and well, I'm lucky, it was only chocolate that I was craving for.

Like Phoenix said, I learn to balance it.

Also considered watching the documentary: Fed up. It actually give a good input about how bad sugar is for your body.

I don't like candies or jellies. So each time I have a craving for a cookie or brownie, I switch for tea (one of my friend offered me «dessert tea» for my birdthday and they work pretty well. Also try brushing your teeth right after your meal or drink water with lime or lemon in it.

Also, I just recently start eating Kaki fruit when I have a crazy surgar craving after a meal. It does the job.

Everything is a question of discipline and balance :-)
    (sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in...because I always am..

OP here is my cliff notes to your post.

1. you are not a sugar addict
    2. being over on carbs and sugar will not make you gain weight, unless you are over on calories.
    3. You are not losing weight because you are overeating.
    4. you can eat carbs and sugar and lose weight.

in again...for the dumpster fire to come...
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Were you over on calories? Do you weigh your food? Have you been drinking enough water?

Unless you have a medical condition, sugar is not the problem.

You can sit all day and still lose weight as long as you're eating at a deficit.
  • blktngldhrt
    Options
    Gogo_Zowie wrote: »
    Hi Misty!
    Same thing here, I've been on and off MFP so often it's like a love and hate relationship!
    I'm a sugar addict too, but lately I tried to target what I really love in sweets and well, I'm lucky, it was only chocolate that I was craving for.

Like Phoenix said, I learn to balance it.

Also considered watching the documentary: Fed up. It actually give a good input about how bad sugar is for your body.

I don't like candies or jellies. So each time I have a craving for a cookie or brownie, I switch for tea (one of my friend offered me «dessert tea» for my birdthday and they work pretty well. Also try brushing your teeth right after your meal or drink water with lime or lemon in it.

Also, I just recently start eating Kaki fruit when I have a crazy surgar craving after a meal. It does the job.

Everything is a question of discipline and balance :-)
    (sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue)

Kaki fruit does the job when you're craving sugar because it has over 20g of sugar per one fruit..depending on size of said fruit, of course.
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have insulin resistance due to a medical condition, so I don't do well with sugar when there's no fiber, fat or protein to slow absorption. I can't definitively say that a sugar calorie makes me gain or lose weight any more so than any other calorie, but since cutting it from my diet, I've been losing weight when previously I was unsuccessful.

I also just hate that I feel emotionally out of whack when I eat it... but that's me.

I think in general people will say "All things in moderation."
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Okay. First let me say I am not here for anyone's entertainment. So with that out of the way, I will say this. I was not over on my calories on any single day. And yes I measure. On a scale that measures grams and ounces. And it's not broken or low on batteries and yes it's turned on and working properly. I've been at this long enough to know that something is off and it's not my calorie intake. Literally everything I've ate the last 2 weeks has been sugar loaded. Since I didn't have any weight loss in the first week and being the heaviest I've ever been, I went back and looked and noticed that literally every single day I was more than double (sometimes triple) my sugar intake. I'm not here to be made fun of or bullied by the people looking to pick on someone. I was just asking how others deal with the sugar cravings. I'm not one of those "the scale hasn't moved for a week so I'm quitting" people. Or one of those people who think they can exercise for a couple days and lose 5 pounds. I know that 1-2 pounds a week is healthy. I know that you have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. I know that you are supposed to eat balanced meals with protein and higher fiber foods. I also know that I CRAVE sugar like someone craves cigarettes. So, I am asking those who aren't here to just pick on someone, WHAT DO YOU DO TO FILL THE SUGAR CRAVINGS? What are good breakfast substitutes other than rolled oats.
  • mistyloveslife
    Options
    I would also like to thank those who've responded with legitimate answers. I know that I need to up the fiber intake and water. I'm working on that this week. I was just hoping for some low sugar alternatives or ideas on how others cut the cravings. Especially for breakfast. My fruit/oatmeal has 32g! I appreciate the responses. Thanks so much!
  • blktngldhrt
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Okay. First let me say I am not here for anyone's entertainment. So with that out of the way, I will say this. I was not over on my calories on any single day. And yes I measure. On a scale that measures grams and ounces. And it's not broken or low on batteries and yes it's turned on and working properly. I've been at this long enough to know that something is off and it's not my calorie intake. Literally everything I've ate the last 2 weeks has been sugar loaded. Since I didn't have any weight loss in the first week and being the heaviest I've ever been, I went back and looked and noticed that literally every single day I was more than double (sometimes triple) my sugar intake. I'm not here to be made fun of or bullied by the people looking to pick on someone. I was just asking how others deal with the sugar cravings. I'm not one of those "the scale hasn't moved for a week so I'm quitting" people. Or one of those people who think they can exercise for a couple days and lose 5 pounds. I know that 1-2 pounds a week is healthy. I know that you have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. I know that you are supposed to eat balanced meals with protein and higher fiber foods. I also know that I CRAVE sugar like someone craves cigarettes. So, I am asking those who aren't here to just pick on someone, WHAT DO YOU DO TO FILL THE SUGAR CRAVINGS? What are good breakfast substitutes other than rolled oats.

I've found that replacing carb macros with fat is helpful.

For breakfast I have eggs and bacon with coffee and cream or chia pudding (30g chia seeds with 1 Cup unsweetened almond milk and flavored with Stevia, cinnamon, pure vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice..i prefer my chia seeds be ground).

My diary is open for low sugar meal ideas.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What did you do right the first time that you're unable to do this time? Also, you need to give yourself more time than a week for results...more like 4-6 weeks.
  • mistyloveslife
    Options

For breakfast I have eggs and bacon with coffee and cream or chia pudding (30g chia seeds with 1 Cup unsweetened almond milk and flavored with Stevia, cinnamon, pure vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice..i prefer my chia seeds be ground).

Thank you so much for this! I will check it out! I appreciate the help! I've always been a grab and go gal but as I get older I'm learning quickly I need to plan better!

• Gogo_Zowie
    Gogo_Zowie Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi Misty, look at my post above :-)

Also for breakfast I used to love Nutella and pancake (I'm from Canada so we have REAL maple syrup ahah!) but yeah, it was hard.

I started having my coffee with milk (no sugar)
    I have natural yogurt and add fruits to it.

Or toast with my homemade sugarless apple butter.
    Natural oatmeal with a little bit of maple syrup. (the real one!)

You should go on Pinterest and look for recipe for sugar craving, it's pretty good :-)
    Also, I do my own energy bites and apple butter (so I control the amount of sugar in it)

Avoid processed food and cook!Cook! Cook! You have control of what goes in your food :-)
  • blktngldhrt
    Options

Thank you so much for this! I will check it out! I appreciate the help! I've always been a grab and go gal but as I get older I'm learning quickly I need to plan better!

You're welcome.

Not everyone likes it..but chia pudding is made the night before. So, that's a plus.
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sugary anything. I am insulin resistant so it does interfere with my results. The only thing that worked for me was to cut down little by little, until my taste buds just didn't care for it as much, and I only wanted to have sweet treats once in a while. I am back on this sugary addiction since being pregnant. After speaking to my endo he advised that it is an addiction so I know what I have to do. Is there anyway that you may have become insulin resistant? My endo advises this is what is making this time around so difficult. Of course this is just me and to each their own.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I was not over on my calories on any single day.

Then there's no problem. I crave peanut butter and frequently blow my fat goals. So what? As long as you're working on it and staying below your cal goal, stay cool, it's no sweat.

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I crave sugar too. Not because I'm addicted to it, but because it makes things taste better. I will consume 50-150 grams per day. It has in no way hindered my weight loss.

If you want to cut back on sugars, great. Just don't blame the sugar for making you fat. It take a lot more than just sugar to pack on the pounds or prevent loss.

• seric2000
    seric2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Misty, you are certainly not alone in your sugar-loving boat! :wink: I try to cut back as often as I can. I have had success with a cup of hot tea and a teaspoon of honey at night in place of desert. Here's what I really like for breakfast in the morning: I toast 2 of those wheat Eggo waffles with sugar free strawberry jelly on top. It's low on sugar and with the sugar free jelly it's really good and a huge improvement on syrup.
  • mistyloveslife
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Calm yourselves. I never said sugar made me not lose! I said after not losing I evaluated my diary and noticed I have a sugar intake problem. Not that sugar WAS the problem. Notice I also didn't blame my broken foot for my couch potato 2014 either. I just want to cut the sugar. Gogo_zowie I'll check out the fed up documentary you mentioned earlier. Ahhh Pancakes and real syrup... The stuff dreams are made of!

• chudak
    chudak Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Misty! I have a similar problem and I found subsituting a few snacks made all the difference. Before I was having granola for breakfast with some fruit and milk, and now I'm having eggs and vegetables (heated up in the microwave!) and that cuts down on all that sugar from that meal. And instead of my 10 AM snack being a granola bar, I'm having a low sugar protein bar instead. I love love LOVE to bake, and I'm finding that if I'm making cookies and cut half the sugar that's supposed to go in, I don't miss it at all (however, this doesn't work with peanut butter cookies...). If you drink coffee, could you drink plain back coffee and maybe have a little something sweet with it instead?

I find that if I have something sugary for breakfast I'll make bad diet choices all day. Perhaps you're the same? Good luck!

- Crystal