How accurate are you?

Options

Replies

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Never weight, after a while and with the feedback from weekly weigh-ins, I find I can guesstimate close enough - I probably underestate calories a bit on average but for me its always seems to balance out with not adding back exercise calories - I'm never surprised at the number I see on my weekly weigh-in - I do tend to eat a lot of the same things most days, so I'd guess it would get harder with a more varied diet
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything whenever possible. With that said if I'm out and about and I happen across a banana I want to eat I don't have a scale in my purse and I'm just going with the small, medium or large option.

I can definitely tell on the body scale when I haven't been using the food scale as much as I should be.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I weigh it all but lettuce. The last time I bought apples the calorie difference between what the database said was a large and what my apple actually was in grams was enough to convince me. It might not be much by itself, but during the course of the day the little things add up.

Some people say it takes too long, but it really doesn't once you figure out what you are doing. Put the plate or bowl on the scale, zero it out and add in what you are weighing. Too easy.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I weigh whatever I can. Most solids when I'm at home go on the food scale. That includes ingredients in cooking and baking, raw veggies that go into stir-fries or roasts, raw meats, bread slices, nut butters, squares of chocolate, you name it. I measure liquids in cups and tablespoons.

I rarely weigh things like bananas or apples. I just am consistent with logging them, so I figure that the absolute accuracy may be off by a bit, but the relative directional accuracy should be fairly good.

Restaurant food or eating out at someone's house, I guesstimate. My estimation skills have improved thanks to weighing and measuring at home, but of course, there's going to be some error there. That's okay. That's life.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly everything now too. I didn't have to in the beginning but the closer I get to goal weight the more I have to scrutinize.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I try weighing now and again. I never weigh at restaurants or when I'm eating at my mom's house.

The frustrating thing is I keep finding out that I'm eating less than I think. I don't want to eat more, because that just means more shopping and more money. Does anyone else find that a tablespoon of chia seeds is closer to 8 grams than 15?

Right now I only weigh my grapefruit, because that can vary by 40 g. Instead I eyeball, or do portions of a recipe (I figure if I eat the whole recipe over several days, I end up with all the calories anyway).

I want my rate of loss to slow because I've moved from the obese to overweight category (I've been losing 3-4 pounds a week). Since I find weighing a little annoying, I think I'll just increase the amount of calories I can have a day rather than weighing. I still have a deficit of 700 calories/day right now (before exercise), so there is room to do this. When my deficit gets down to 100-200 calories a day, and extra calories can make a bigger difference, or if I hit a stall, I plan on weighing more.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I weigh just about everything. I don't weigh eggs or Quest bars even though I know that they can vary over their average, but I eat them often enough that I figure the differences average out. Oh wait! I weighed a Quest bar once. My husband had a bite and and I weighed what was left to log.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I weigh or measure calorie-dense items, such as meat, nuts, oils, cheese, avocados, etc. I don't bother with calorie-poor items, such as lettuce, sweet peppers, cucumbers, etc., unless I'm planning to eat a huge number of them, or if it's a particularly huge specimen. I figure that if that red pepper I ate had 60 calories rather than 51, it's still not a significant difference to my overall daily intake.

This is what I do too, although now and then I weigh the calorie-poor items also, just to keep a handle on my logging, because I do log it all, regardless if I'm round off the grams due to "knowing" how big a slice of green pepper is.

55835802.png

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I measure on a scale about 95% of the time and I don't eat a lot of prepackaged food. If I eat out (which is fairly rare) I estimate.

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP: I would love to know if these answers are representative of the MFP community or if the topic was of interest mostly to those who see weighing foods as priority. I do not mean any disrespect at all to those of you who have responded in the affirmative - and perhaps I am wrong - but my guess is that those who have responded to this post tend to be those who value weighing their food. The reason I bring this up is simply to take a little pressure of the OP, especially since she mentions that she doesn't weigh everything. One might get the impression that you're "doing it wrong" if you don't weigh your food, which - of course - isn't true. All that said, well done to all - we're all working hard, just doing it in different ways! :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    "It's not wrong, it's just different" applies to a lot of things on the site. And of course you don't *have* to use a food scale. But people often are here asking why they've plateaued or can't seem to lose weight despite eating at or under their calorie goals. Before they try other, more drastic solutions, a $15 investment in a food scale and weighing food for a while can often be a fix. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    not knocking it, for sure - !
  • RSEC75
    RSEC75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I eat something I've not recorded before I weigh and measure accurately, but after that I just judge it based on whether it seems more or about the same as the first time.

I love roast root veg, the first time we chopped up the mixture of veg and laid it out on a tray to roast, every different veg was exactly weighed and calculated. Now we just chop up 'a tray full' and sometimes it's less and sometimes more. Doing that has never seemed to adversely affect the weight loss. I do something similar with a lot of foods now, especially recipes I make.

But then things like Rice or Pasta we used to just throw some in the water, before we were counting. Now we weigh that every time.

I think if I was having problems loosing weight I would get more careful in the weighing but controlling my calories based on just assuming the same calories for given foods each time seems to be working for now.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things. I am very skilled at accurately eyeballing meat portions and things like rice. I am not good at eyeballing fruits and vegetables. Their weights vary too much. So I weigh them when possible, especially fruits because they are usually more caloric.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I eyeball everything, especially when it comes to fruit. The weight of fruit (and pretty much everything) changes between the time you buy it and when you eat it, due to dehydration, but the calories stay about the same.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I eyeball everything, especially when it comes to fruit. The weight of fruit (and pretty much everything) changes between the time you buy it and when you eat it, due to dehydration, but the calories stay about the same.

This happened to me! I deseeded a pomegranate (is there an actual word for this?) and had just over 300 grams. I decided to eat 100 grams for two days, and then polish it off on the third. On the third day, there was only 60 grams left - the seeds had dehydrated in the fridge...but the calories would be the same (I know what it's like, I've lost water weight too...) Even when you weigh, you won't be 100% accurate on calories...
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh, I have used measuring cups a couple of times to just get an idea of what a serving size looks like. I'm kinda saving weighing my food until I hit a plateau or something and feel the need to step it up a notch. I estimate and am never really surprised by what I see on the scale at the end of the week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't bother, just do it by eye. The results are fine, but my priority isn't weight loss it's sports performance.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything but I lost my first 30 pounds eyeballing and measuring. I'm sure I would have eventually plateaued had I not started, because I am bad at eyeballing.

But if I grab a banana while I'm out I just copy the last one. Between the exercise calories I leave on the table and the seasonings I always forget to log, I'm not 100% on point anyway.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I weigh everything except individual prepackaged items and eggs. Weighing is easy and fast and a habit, taring my scale to weigh a handful of spinach is easier and faster for me than the time it takes for me to even consider just eyeballing it.

ETA: This is at home, eating out I wouldn't weigh, I'd just eyeball best I can, or go by the online nutrition info for a restaurant item if available, etc.