Sweet Potato -.-

Options
Chlo92x
Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
I have tried a bakes sweet potato and I wasn't overly keen.....
Opinions on how you prefer it?
I need some recipe suggestions?

P.S feel free to add me Im looking for more friends for support and I will do the same!

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Try them roasted in the oven with a little EVOO, salt, a little cayenne pepper. Kind of sweet, salty, spicy.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cut them into french fry size and toss with egg white, your favorite seasonings and a little bit of panko bread crumbs. Bake on a canola oil sprayed sheet at 400 degrees until brown and crispy.
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Try them roasted in the oven with a little EVOO, salt, a little cayenne pepper. Kind of sweet, salty, spicy.

I like the sound of this, I could roast them like wedges? :blush:
  • Mary0519
    Mary0519 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes. I take an egg white, pinch of cayenne and a little water whip it up. Cut your potatoes into wedges (I like skin on). Toss in the egg white mixture, put potatoes on parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle a little sea salt over potatoes - bake in preheated oven 375 for about 30 minutes (depends on your oven). If you can afford oil in your diet, using the EVOO vice egg white. If you prefer a sweeter taste use nutmeg vs cayenne.
  • jodieoh
    jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sweet potato is awesome in a curry - so, fry up some onion/garlic with some curry paste, add sweet potato cubes, a can of tomatoes & some coconut milk and chuck in some chickpeas, cook for 30 minutes. I also use sweet potato cubes in mexican food like burritos, chilli, fajitas etc.

edit! Here's a recipe for butternut squash curry - I often sub sweet potato for the squash, or even have both. http://www.bletheringskite.com/24/
  • Mary0519
    Mary0519 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I love purple potato in curry!!! That is so good!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    i cut into wedges, add favorite oil, add Italian seasoned bread crumbs, add salt, bake 40 mins , add more salt, pretty simple
  • drummi17
    drummi17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make fries with them by cutting them into strips, tiny bit of oil and salt and pepper and baking them at like 200 C :)
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I throw cubed sweet potatoes in a Ziploc with salt, a bunch of different spices from my spice cupboard, throw in some olive oil, and toss the bag around. Dump onto a baking sheet and roast them until tender and starting to brown. Kinda similar to this recipe (except I don't add any sugar): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-and-spicy-sweet-potatoes/

You'll never go back :D
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I take a sweet potato and peel it (I know, the peel is good for fiber and whatnot, I just never liked the taste or texture or something), then toss it in:

- 1 tablespoon olive oil
    - 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    - 1-1/2 teaspoon Parmesan
    - 1/4 teaspoon thyme

Then I spread them out in a foil-lined pan so they're a single layer and bake them at 400º for 40 minutes. Then I broil them, but ONLY FOR A MINUTE because they burn otherwise. This step gives them a nice crispy outer shell, though, so it's important!

This is hands-down my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes. Not only does it make the house smell like an Italian restaurant, the potatoes themselves taste like sweet, creamy bites of garlic bread. SO delicious. I'll eat sweet potato in just about any form, but this is my very favorite.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I also recommend roasting them in the oven! I use a sprayer for my olive oil. It makes it go so much further then just tossing them in olive oil.

Something such as this
    http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can barely stomach them other than as previous people have posted. If that works for you great otherwise if you are eating a fairly balanced diet that includes your micronutrients don't worry about it.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the microwave, wrapped in a wet paper towel. Then, scoop out the flesh, season with a tsp. of butter (I like them without butter, too but many prefer the mouth-feel when they're buttered), a sprinkle of salt, brown sugar & cinnamon. Tastes like Dessert.
  • missydaniels80
    missydaniels80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love them plain, but they have to be WELL cooked. Many cookbooks or websites call for short cook times of 40-45 minutes. If they are too hard they aren't very good. I just turn m y oven on, poke a couple of holes in them, wait until I can smell them, and check to see if they are really squishy. This makes them really sweet.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Cut 'em into fry shapes, shake them in a bag with a little olive oil, cayenne and salt, bake at 420, flipping every 15 minutes until cripsy.
  • jessicadeakin
    jessicadeakin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of this dish:
    http://joanne-eatswellwithothers.com/2011/06/african-sweet-potato-soup-with-peanut-butter-and-black-beans-eat-live-be.html
    Approx. 350 calories serving, if you assume 4 servings for the recipe.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i have never been a big fan of sweet potatoes. roasted, however, they are tasty.

recently i tried this soup recipe:

http://fountainavenuekitchen.com/ginger-curry-lentil-soup/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In a pinch, coat them in olive oil and salt, poke holes in them with a fork, wrap in saran wrap and microwave for 10 minutes.