Overweight professional

Options
Hello health enthusiasts,
I read a lot about people complaining that fitness experts, dietitians, nutritionists and medical professionals should not be overweight. Well guess what!! They are just like everyone else. One could argue that stay at home women and men working outdoors and people with part time jobs should NOT be overweight as they have ample time and opportunity to sweat it out.
But it's not about others is it now? It's about me and my health.
So yes I have a few extra pounds on me from years of eating unhealthy splurging from time to time, spending time with my kids just lazing around the house or watching tv.
Time is a bigger constraint on me than anything else but I suppose it is just an excuse. Every year or every time any big event coming in my life, I plan, mind it just plan to lose some weight, tone some muscles and get fitter. The years go by and events come and go.
Now I am not complaining. I am happy and satisfied with a lot of aspects of my life. But I would feel even better about myself, get some more self esteem and be a proud role model for my kids by being a healthy, fit and in good shape dad.
This is my journey.

Replies

• Cmf12170
    Cmf12170 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I can find all kinds of excuses to not do what I'm suppose to. I'm a nurse and should be a good healthy role model. We'll I'm not, yet. But trying to become healthier one day at a time.
  • dthomascoach
    dthomascoach Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Put me on your friend list and let's get this goal accomplished. I hear ya! Years of work, coaching and lack of working out! Ugh! I've list 30 and have 25 more to go!
  • jainamit0
    jainamit0 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lets do this!!! I have started a 5k run but my knees just hurt after th5 k for a couple of days and then I am fine. Maybe need to tone those babies
  • catherinemcalpine9
    Options
    Hi,
    I would like to be on your friend list. I work full-time, have 3 kids age 7 to 13, and a disabled spouse. I will be 55 this year and want to love myself as much as I am happy and successful in so many other situations. Eating as I read after kids go to bed is my serious downfall. I gave up alcohol about 18 months ago. I have had sciatica problems since June and lingering issues from whiplash in Sept 2013. I am slow to loose weight but have done about 10 pounds in 6 months. I swim. I want to get back yo yoga and FINALLY add light weight training. It may sound vain but if I can loose 30-40 more pounds I can have a cosmetic surgery brow lift. It is at least a GOAL.
    Cathy
  • jainamit0
    Options
    You are amazing Cathy for being disabled and being so motivated and having a goal in mind. At 55, its quite a feat to be able to do so much with all the health problems.
    I just can not give up alcohol. Like my scotch too much!! And beer sometimes
    :wink:

• jojo4883
    jojo4883 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You sound very motivated at the minute! Feel free to add me, am trying to keep my accountability high!!

I think that it's easy for any of us to hide behind excuses but hard to really commit to change. Congrats on taking the first steps!
  • jainamit0
    Options
    You said the key word, motivated "at the minute"
  • jojo4883
    Options
    Haha, the ultimate problem!! Just take it one day at a time, all any of us can do!
  • gnik1
    gnik1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi I think I need to write this in Word and copy and paste :D . Second time newbie, are you doing the C25K I have started it and it's not so taxing on the body yet since it allows you to slowly build up to running 5K. I am about to complete the first week (second time round) I do love my seconds guess that's why I'm the size I am. Open to any friend invitations I am having a good run so far lost 7kg ~ 14 lbs since Jan 01.
  • jainamit0
    Options
    what is a c25k?
  • jojo4883
    Options
    Couch to 5k. It's a learn to run app. You start off with walk/jog intervals, beginning with jogging for 1min at a time, eventually working you up to running for 30mins non-stop
  • garn64
    garn64 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It is most definitely a challenge to stay fit when life and responsibilities take so much time. Working out and being healthy kind of ends up taking a back seat to it all. In the end of the day it's about building that additional habit and feeling that need to work out and be healthy. Each and every one of us is worth the additional time it takes, a hard thing for some of us to believe. You can do it!