MFP inaccurate?

Options
According to multiple BMR calculators on the Internet my BMR is 2301. This means that I have to eat 1300 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. According to MFP that number is 1896. So which one is correct? I am 6'1, 274.4 lbs , and 19 years old

Replies

• fatboy_rob
    fatboy_rob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is correct. I always thought you need a deficit of 500 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week.

I have a deficit of over between 500 and 1000 a day and I'm losing about 3-4lbs a week
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You are confusing BMR and TDEE. Your deficit isn't taken from from BMR.
    And beware MFP isn't a TDEE calculator anyway!

There's some good stickies in the Getting Started forum that are well worth reading.

Highly recommend reading:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    To lose 2lbs a week, you need to eat 1000 calories less per day than your TDEE, not your BMR. MFP has estimated your TDEE at 2896 = BMR of about 2300 + estimated calorie burn through normal daily activity (living your life, not any additional exercise) of about 600.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You need a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose a pound. That's 3500 / 7 = 500 calorie deficit a day to lose a pound a week if you don't do anything. Based on 2000 calories a day, that's 1500 calories a week. If you want to lose more, eat less, exercise more.

That number is based on a 150lb male (something that no one ever talks about) so you have to make adjustments for your gender, weight activity level, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    no you cut 1000 from TDEE to achieve around 2lb a week weight loss

MFP doesn't really deal with TDEE .. it deals with general activity level excluding exercise
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MFP is using the same information everyone else is. It may not be accurate, but no one else is either.
  • vahag718
    Options
    MFP is using the same information everyone else is. It may not be accurate, but no one else is either.
    Well that is reassuring lol