Day 9 and not even a slight change!!!

Options
I know im maybe jumping the gun and rome wasnt built in a day ect but tomorrow is going to be day 10 of my diet and i have managed 5 days this week of exercise and i havent lost any weight whats so ever! Its getting me down and im at that point in mind thinking 'whats the point' just a tiny wee pound off the scale would get my back motivated... Is that too hard to ask!

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, go to this thread and soak up the wisdom.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Did you put the weight on in 10 days? No? Then don't expect it to come off that soon. Exercise some patience. There's no instant gratification in weight loss. You may want to try lowering your expectations.

Also, if you are new to exercise, you are more than likely retaining water for muscle repair, which can EASILY mask weight loss.

Give it more time before throwing the towel in. Some people don't see change for 4-6 weeks (or even more).
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    don't give up!! don't focus on the losses just yet, just focus on consistency of workouts and eat only whole foods.....it will happen for you, I promise!!
  • csoderstrom
    csoderstrom Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I have a hard time getting enough "good" calories in when I'm working hard to drop weight (that's why I use MFP to keep track), then I find when I do eat enough the weight drops quickly.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Give it another couple of weeks. If nothing happens, you're eating at maintenance and you need to either lower your calorie goal if it's too high, or figure out where your logging inaccuracies are coming from if you feel your goal is appropriate. (i.e....if you're eating 2000 calories and not losing, you should probably lower your goal, if you think you're eating 1400 calories per day and not losing, you should start weighing your food on a food scale and see where you're portions are off)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating daily?
    How much do you weigh?
    Height?
    What type of exercise?
    Are you sleeping 7-9 hours a night?
    Hows your general stress on a scale from 1-10, 10 being HOLY *kitten*!!!!!
    What are your goals?
  • SarahTrainingMuc
    Options
    Control ur fat percentage, maybe u gained muscles
  • melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I found that if I dont drink enough water no matter how well I eat and how much I work out I wont lose :( so I would suggest drinking plenty of water if not more and keep you r head up next week you may lose 5 all at once or more :)
  • sambauld748
    Options
    Im 5ft 6 i currently weigh 11stone 9. Im trying to get back down to 10stone. When i exercise its not just a walk on the tredmill. I play outdoor hockey which is 3 days a week and the rest is at the gym doing cardio and strength. Ive been checking my measurments too as i know muscle weighs more than fat but not a change their either!!! Grrrr calories wise on average my intake is 1300?
    thanks guys for the support im not throwing the towel in, just having a moan as weight just seems too fall off other people it seems
  • M1SS703
    M1SS703 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find the scale to be very deceiving (I have to remember this on Thursday when I do my own weigh in...). You may be losing inches, but because muscle weighs more than fat, the scale stays the same. If you are eating a well-balanced diet, it doesn't take much for lean muscle to start increasing! Base it on how you feel, how your clothes feel, what your energy level is like, etc., not what that jerk of a scale says about you! :) Keep up the great work!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    66 inches
    163lbs
    74kg
    REE is 1585calories: the amount of calories to maintain weight if sitting still all day.
    Exercising 5 days a week and on your feet = 2300-2600calories to maintain weight.
    So what youre saying is youre trying to eat 50% of what you need to maintain weight.

If you were smart you'd look at a resistance program that has you lifting weight 3x a week in a progressive fashion.
    Walk daily and shoot for 10k steps a day.
    Drink 8 cups of water or enough to stimulate urination every 1-2 hours.

Training days you'll want to shoot for about 2k a day.
    On non training days shoot for 1400-1600 calories.

Training days shoot for at least 100g protein up to 120g.
    Carbs should be closer to 50% of calories.
    The math:
    Protein 100g-120g = 400cal-480cals
    Carbs 250g = 1000cals
    Fat 58g =520cals

Rest days:
    if 1400
    Protein 120g = 480cals
    Carbs 150g = 600cals
    Fat 36g = 320cals

So current burn is appx 16100-18200 if doing a lot of cardio per week.
    If you follow my numbers: 11600-12400 calories eaten per week.
    That's rounded to 17150 burned
    Eaten 12000

A deficit of 5150cals per week.
    A pound of fat weighs 3500cals.
    So appx 1.5lb per week if we believe fat loss happens in a vacuum.

Hope that helps.

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. If you open it, and accurately log, folks will be able to give you more focused advice.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose anything in nine days, except water weight. It takes about 3-6 weeks to start seeing any real changes, usually. You have to keep doing it. You didn't gain that weight in 9 days and it's not going to come off in 9 days either.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much you have to lose. If you have a LOT to lose, which your picture does not lead me to believe, it's going to be harder. You need to be diligent about calories and logging. Weight loss is 80% dietary. You can't outrun a cookie. Also, if you are within 20 pounds of your goal, you might consider more of a recompositioning - meaning more focus on weight lifting. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start with diet and exercise help.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Control ur fat percentage, maybe u gained muscles

It's pretty unlikely that the OP put on enough muscle in 10 days to offset the fat losses that they should be seeing. Muscles just don't work like that. Water retention within the muscles due to a new or increased workout routine is far more likely to create a weight loss stall.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    M1SS703 wrote: »
    muscle weighs more than fat

Where does everyone come up with this little tidbit? There is no difference in how much weight muscle and fat weights. The only difference is weight by volume. Five pounds of fat weights exactly the same as five pounds of muscle but fat just takes up much more space than lean muscle mass. Some people get rid of the scale and just measure because you can better tell actual body fat percentage from taping yourself than weighting yourself. OP, most likely you may be retaining water. If you are working out as hard as you say you are and are eating in a caloric deficit this might be the problem. It could be the time in your cycle where you bloat or retain or it could be that your eating a diet that is higher in sodium, which would make you retain water. My suggestion, keep doing what you are doing, drink a lot of water and check your results again the following week. If you still see no change, it's time to evaluate your caloric intake or exercise to determine if you need to make adjustments.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned - take your measurements and compare. Some weeks the scale doesn't move for me but my belt/bra strap does!
  • If you are that active and only eating 1300 calories, you probably need to be eating more not less. I'd also give it about 6 weeks to see a change in inches if you are working out regularly.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    10in30gal wrote: »
    If you are that active and only eating 1300 calories, you probably need to be eating more not less. I'd also give it about 6 weeks to see a change in inches if you are working out regularly.

Increasing caloric intake unfortunately is not going to stimulate weight loss unless you meant eat more low carb high protein foods.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    10in30gal wrote: »
    If you are that active and only eating 1300 calories, you probably need to be eating more not less. I'd also give it about 6 weeks to see a change in inches if you are working out regularly.

Increasing caloric intake unfortunately is not going to stimulate weight loss unless you meant eat more low carb high protein foods.

Lol wut?
    Do you physiology?