Wine ok at night to finish up the extra calories left over?

Options
Is a glass of wine ok, if I have 300-400 calories left over during the day? I'm doing 1200 a day and trying to stay on track eating every 2-3 hours but sometimes I have an extra hundred or so left over and just do not want to eat any more food.....should I just call it a day or have that glass of wine? (I LOVE WINE)

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If it fits, why not?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    uh, YEAH. Watch it if you are having it on an empty stomach.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MNSchulz88 wrote: »
    Is a glass of wine ok, if I have 300-400 calories left over during the day? I'm doing 1200 a day and trying to stay on track eating every 2-3 hours but sometimes I have an extra hundred or so left over and just do not want to eat any more food.....should I just call it a day or have that glass of wine? (I LOVE WINE)

Nothing wrong with fitting wine into your day (I do almost every day) but I have to question if you are set at 1200/day and you still have 300-400 cals left are you eating enough food?

• roady29
    roady29 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Heck yes!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Nothing wrong with fitting wine into your day (I do almost every day) but I have to question if you are set at 1200/day and you still have 300-400 cals left are you eating enough food?

Yes. You're leaving 1/4 to 1/3 of your calories on the table?
  • MNSchulz88
    Options
    Thanks. This whole 1200 calorie a day is new to me. Trying to eat super healthy, lots of fresh food w/ low calories. Deff eating all day long. However, I plan for a 400-500 calorie dinner and once in a while my dinner portions are smaller than I anticipated and I have extra calories left over.....
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

This. If you're only having 800-900 calories worth of food, that's going to be really hard to get good nutrition. A glass of wine is fine, but 1/3 or 1/4 of your daily calories of wine... not so good.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes from me, cheers!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sure, as long as you feel full and are eating enough nutrients to be healthy.

Nothing wrong with a little wine. Medical science even suggests that red wine, in moderation, has some health benefits.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    YES. Most definitely.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say a glass of wine is fine as long as it fits in your day. But, I worry in this particular case that you might end up lacking in fat/protein if you did this on a daily basis. Be sure that the wine isn't pushing out more important nutrients.

But as long as you're getting enough nutrition with your other calories, nothing wrong with a glass of wine at the end of the day!
  • pasandoval
    pasandoval Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    may keep you up at night if you drink it too late, though. wine has plenty of sugar
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I usually have one glass of red wine every night. Sometimes I get crazy and get some Arbor Mist and put some frozen fruit in it....mmm.

If it fits your calorie needs, do it to it!!!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Also in with the wine's-fine-but-maybe-eat-more camp. It's really hard to get all needed nutrients on 1200 calories, much less 900. You might also find yourself losing a lot of muscle instead of fat if you're significantly undereating. What are your stats? Odds are you've got your MFP settings set too low and should probably be eating more (which means more wine, too!).
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I have a problem with people thinking that just because you have 1,200 calories to "spend" that you have to "fill" the quota. There is so much more to health than calories. If you want a glass of wine, have one. Just be aware of how it affects you and your goals.

Don't make this complicated.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love my wine but with my work schedule and my gym time I don't get home until 8ish so for me to have a glass that late I would be up all night in the bathroom. Sorry TMI...so I just have it on Saturday night.

Cheers!
  • MNSchulz88
    Options
    Also forgot to mention I'm burning 300-400 a day w/ cardio which is leaving me more calories to burn. But thank you everyone! Love the info
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    ^ Good to know you are at least eating back your cals considering your intake is so low. I'd be buzzin like a hornet if I ate so little and had a glass to top off the night lol
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Also forgot to mention I'm burning 300-400 a day w/ cardio which is leaving me more calories to burn. But thank you everyone! Love the info

That's good to know. Take my point with that in mind then.

I try to make room for 1-2 microbrews per night, so I actually agree with the philosophy!
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    During your 7 to 8 hours sleep every night, your body goes into a state of fasting. It's better to have some slow digesting protein before sleep if you have extra calorie left. Some non-sugar added milk would be great, easy on the stomach and provide steady nutrient during your sleeping.