New to Healthy Food and Healthy Eating

Hi guys and gals I'm Stephanie, and I'm starting on my new journey to a long lasting lifestyle. I'm living in a house of junk food lovers who don't intend on following my lifestyle changes, to each his own of course, I'm following my calorie intake and I have a protien shake 2x a day for pre and post workout. With the items in my families fridge I find myself confined to eating scrambled eggs and the flavored packets of Quaker Oatmeal, which I don't think is healthy anyway. I eat plenty of soups and lots of fruit but I think that raises my sugar content. Any suggestions on which type of fruits and vegs are low carb. Diabetes does run in my family so I'm trying to get a head start on preventing it in me. Thanks for all ur help in advance.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    You will do well to not look at food as good or bad, healthy or not healthy. Eat what you love in smaller portions with an eye towards balance. That is a recipe for success. Restriction of any kind typically spells failure. Truth is, almost all diets fail, don't make it harder than it has to be.
  • Thank you for ur encouragement :) I didn't look at it that way. I always had this fear that I wouldn't b able to eat what I enjoyed.
  • prattiger65
    edited January 2015
    It is common Stephanie, and in my opinion, why so many fail. Learn your numbers. Find out how many calories you should be eating. Buy a food scale and weigh everything except liquid, measure that. KNOW exactly how many calories you eat, even if you fall down and eat a bunch, log it and move on. Don't ever demonize any food or macro nutrient, there are no boogie men. You can do this!

I lost 60 pounds eating ice cream every night.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    It is common Stephanie, and in my opinion, why so many fail. Learn your numbers. Find out how many calories you should be eating. Buy a food scale and weigh everything except liquid, measure that. KNOW exactly how many calories you eat, even if you fall down and eat a bunch, log it and move on. Don't ever demonize any food or macro nutrient, there are no boogie men. You can do this!

I lost 60 pounds eating ice cream every night.

This is such amazing advice. All of it.
  • Thanks so much. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited January 2015
    Go see the doctor and get him to oversee your weight loss journey. Get a referral to a dietitian who can help you with whatever foods you are and aren't supposed to eat and guide you on your way to healthy eating.

If you go from mostly junk to healthy eating, it can be a long process. It is worth it! Healthy food makes a healthy you! You lower the risk of disease and will feel better, too. But bad habits are hard to break, so give yourself time and don't give up.

Keep trying new stuff. If you don't absolutely hate it, but don't love it, try preparing it in different ways.

Mrs. Dash is fantastic for when you don't feel like doing a lot, but want some easy flavoring. There are a bunch of kinds. :)

http://cdn1.sph.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/30/2013/04/HEPApr2013.jpg

http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/
  • prattiger65
    edited January 2015
    You don't need a doctor or dietician if you don't already have an underlying medical issue. There aren't any foods you should or shouldn't eat unless you have an underlying medical issue. Geez, this isn't complicated, eat what you like with an eye toward balance. There is no healthy/unhealthy food, there is only food. Please don't buy into this myth of good/bad, healthy/unhealthy. I swear, sometimes I think people are trying to cause people to fail.