shift worker workouts

Hi everyone. I am a 46 year old woman in emergency services (police). Does anyone have any suggestions how to schedule their workouts around the shifts? I currently work 12 hour (sometimes plus) shifts. My rotation is 2-12 hour dayshifts-6am to 6pm followed by 2-12 hour night shifts 6pm to 6am, then 4 days off. Any suggestions would be great. Currently I am doing 4-30 to 40 minute cardio sessions and trying to fit some strength training in. I am currently having trouble sleeping during my night shifts and I hardly ever eat after 2am in the morning on my night shifts. Thanks.

Replies

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    one suggestion is to try a HIIT workout. it personally works for me because i hate that cardio feels like it takes forever (i do however love lifting!) ill 15 secs of an all out sprint followed 45 secs of low intensity cardio... i repeat this 15 times. if i have time, ill finish with 15 mins of low intensity cardio. if i dont have time, then i skip that last 15 min!
  • BredaClaude
    BredaClaude Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks. I will look into that workout. Appreciate it!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited January 2015
    I would focus most on my days off, then add in whatever you can during shift. Like wall pushups, planks, squats, a walk during break, etc. I have had weird hours too, and am still non-traditional hours, and it just means finding sneaky ways to add it in and focusing on times when you DO have time.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    I also work in emergency services, but am fortunate that because I am employed by the fire department (civilian paramedic) I am able to work out on duty. I know that isn't really an option as a cop though. I can't really offer any advice, just wanted to say hi to a fellow first responder!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I always found it was difficult to do two evenings after dayshifts (working the same schedule) so I always planned for one evening workout. I never had a problem workout out on my swing shift before my backshift. I'd wake up, go to the gym, eat, then nap for backshift. After that backshift, I'd get up, go to the gym, then go to backshift.
    Then I would add in workouts on my days off.

I also found that a lot of the time I didn't feel like working out after dayshift, once I started, I felt much better. i've had some of my best runs on evenings where I wanted to skip the workout but went anyway.

At one point, I competed in a figure competition and would workout before shift and sometimes after. That was not fun.
  • BredaClaude
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I figured out that working out after my first dayshift works good but not the second dayshift I just ran out of steam. Tomatoey I liked that link you sent me. What do you guys do in general when you have no energy? I ran for 30 minutes and felt exhausted. When I could have run the whole time through usually I had to walk for short periods (30 seconds) about 5 times during my run. Is this normal? Was it good that I listened to my body? 3dogsrunning I definitely don't do much on my nightshifts. I have had trouble sleeping on those lately. Thanks again everyone.
  • Trukngrl
    Trukngrl Posts: 106 Member
    Dispatch here!! The first time I lost my weight( I dropped to 5lb of my goal) was when I was on your same 4on4off days to nights. I went to the gym on both my day shifts after work, and my first night shift before work. Then I would skip on my second night shift since I needed the sleep. But, while I was at work I would move more- stairs go for walks and the like. With your duty belt you got about 25lb+ you are carrying around as added resistance. Get moving with all the gear on and you got great base for success!! I kept one of my 4 off as a rest day also so I could enjoy my weekend. Cheers and stay safe.
  • BredaClaude
    Thanks Trukngrl. Yes my gun belt does weigh about 20lbs + about 5 more lbs with the other stuff. Good suggestion more foot patrol lol