Tummy excercise advice for female with repaired stomach hernia

Options
Hi all, seeking advice on best stomach mid section exercise to help tone as I lose weight.

I have had a severe hernia due to many years of physical labouring for my builder hubby (I should be like a greyhound but obviously have eaten like a bear) Had the hernia operated in 2013 and advised not to lift anything or I could suffer another tear. Obviously this has not helped my midsection and I now have a spare tire which I want gone, gone, gone!!!

I am 65years and have 30+ (over 66lbs) to lose. It seems like a mountain and I have tried many times before to reduce my weight, but gave into comfort/reward eating of the wrong stuff. Been off cane sugar most of last year, no great change - so now with accountability measuring and weighing and all the success stories here on MFP, I am determined it is not too late to make a difference.

I live remote from town & gym facilities. Anyone out there with trainer qualifications that can advise me what to do to help myself tone as I lose weight without causing further damage?

Thanks,
Elle

Replies

• TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    First, genetics determines where weight comes off, so getting rid of the "spare tire" is dependent on getting rid of all the excess fat.

As for exercises to strengthen your core as you lose weight, I highly recommend calling the office of the doctor who performed the procedure and ask them if they can recommend a physical therapist. While trainers are quite competent at what they do, from what I understand they do not go through the same medical training a physical therapist undergoes, and may not be fully aware of limitations you should follow to prevent injury.

Good luck.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is typically a combination of two things: actively building muscle, and getting rid of the fat that obscures it. *Usually*.

The convenient thing about abs is, they are always working to hold you upright. You don't have to work them purposefully. You just have to lose the fat that covers them.

For physical limitations and exercise, I would talk to a doctor or physical therapist, not just a personal trainer.
  • Khunter2244
    Options
    I would definitely try yoga. I tried cardio workouts and other various ab routines to get the pooch away due to just having a baby. Nothing worked. I started yoga a month ago and I can see a HUGE difference. The best thing with yoga is that you can go at your own pace, take breaks when you need it, and it's not super high impact.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    So, the people above are quite right: you can't spot reduce, you need to lose overall fat before the shapely muscle is noticed, "abs are made in the kitchen", and you should talk to a medical professional, etc.

All that being said, I would highly recommend Pilates for light midsection toning. Generally you can take movements down to a less-intense modification if they start to irritate your surgery area. You can also use Pilates to tone arms, legs, backside, thighs, and anywhere else as long as you maintain a regular exercise schedule.

I'm not a personal trainer, but I am a fitness instructor. I teach bootcamps, HIIT, Yoga, and Pilates classes, and whenever a participant comes to me with an injury/surgery/etc. I recommend both yoga and pilates for recovery and maintained fitness (but I'm not a doctor, so anything your doctor says trumps my recommendations).

And it can be free! (Yay! Save money!)
    Just look to youtube for beginner Pilates (or yoga) sessions and you'll find a plethora of resources. Watch a video, follow along a bit, see if it's for you.

Good luck!
  • 49Elle
    49Elle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all above for your imput, it is much appreciated.

It was actually the surgeon that said "No lifting - period". At the time I did not ask him to qualify that ... was he referring to me not doing anymore lifting of beams with hubby or bricks in wheelbarrows as well as the washing basket?? He was pretty intense about what damage I could do - consequently I have avoided lifting much at all.

It is a weird feeling as you age and have issues.. particularly being overweight, it's like the age that you are defines what is expected of you and being overweight (even though I have battled it for years and failed over and over) well..nothing is going to change now! It really is up to me I know that and this time failing is not an option.

Appreciate what is said regarding losing the fat first..just a bit concerned about lose skin that will result from losing the fat and a way to both strengthen and firm my core area.

Certainly will check out the Pilates & Yoga on Youtube and it is nice to hear feedback from those of you who have tried it and got results :)

Elle
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    12dream wrote: »
    It really is up to me I know that and this time failing is not an option.

I like that attitude. :+1:

I would get a physician's approval before doing pilates or yoga, as many of the moves may cause you problems.

By the way, exercises don't target the skin or fat layer, just the muscle under it. There isn't much that can be done for loose midsection skin, unfortunately. Sorry to be the breaker of bad news. The good news is you'll be in better shape overall. :+1: