Do you eat back your fiber grams?

I don't know if MFP calculates net carbs. If I go over my carbs goal by 20 grams, but I rack up 25 grams of fiber, does that mean I can eat back 25 g of carbs? Or it doesn't matter at all, just use the carbs number and forget the fiber?

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    As long as you're not low on protein, I wouldn't worry about going over a little on carbs.

High fiber in your diet is almost always a good thing! Keeps things moving along and fiber-rich foods also tend to be rich in micronutrients, which is a particular health goal of mine and many. (many here are focused on weight loss singularly, in which case calories are what matter. )
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I just use the carb and total calorie numbers and forget about it.

I do track fibre, mostly to make sure I'm getting enough of it ('cause I don't always). But there are different kinds of fibres -- some are soluble and some are insoluble. There's no such thing as "negative" calories anyway. So I just track total calories, and hey, if more of them come from fibre, bonus!
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Great, thanks. :) I was surprised to see how much fiber I actually do get... more than I ever thought. I track carbs, protein, fat and fiber. I have my macros set to 2,000 calories, 175 g carbs, 175 g protein, 67 g fat (35/35/25). I usually come in a bit under calories, so I guess I'm OK.
  • anorciia
    anorciia Posts: 4 Member
    I track net carbs, but i am shooting for ketosis to get my body fat below 12%. I subtract out the grams of fiber
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    OK, thanks. I thought that some people do that.