Hummus?

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I grew up on "old-fashioned home cooked (aka: more fattening) meals". What exactly is hummus and what does it taste like? How do you use it (what do you eat it with?)?

Replies

• Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus

My wife makes this all different ways but basically it is chick peas and olive oil blended. She servers it on wheat thins, toasted bread, etc. It is just s spread. Throw in Avocado or sun dried tomatoes = +1
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Learning2LuvLindsay Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus! You can eat it with a lot of different things. My favorites are stone wheat crackers, tortillas, pitas, and veggies.
  • triciary1223
    Options
    I have just recently discovered it myself... quite yummy I think. I'm using it as a spread on wraps and sandwhiches... I love it! :-) 70 cals for about 2 tbsp... more nutritional value than "mayo" with the "good kind" of fat. Or so I read... HA! There is apparently a variety of types of as well... I've been using the "classic hummus" thus far. But I'm gonna try to the "spinach and artichoke" one too.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use it as a dip for my veggies or as a spread in a tomato sandwich.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well, you already have your answer but I'll jump in to simply say ... yumm :)

Serve it with sliced chicken, beef, or lamb too (with pitas) ...

OK OK ... Whole Wheat pitas and boneless/skinless chicken breasts :) ... but yumm!

Oh ... and tabbouleh! ... not you got me hungry!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    If you're used to traditional American/British-style foods, hummus will taste odd at first. However, much like whole wheat and fruits, it's a nutritious food that you learn to love easily.
    I could eat it right out of the tub. When I make it at home, I have to double the recipe because I always eat half.
  • sherryberry07
    Options
    It comes from the Mediterranean/Middle East cuisine - it's basically chickpeas and tahina blended with olive oil on top or sometimes blended. I put cayenne pepper in mine to give it a nice kick. You can use it for spreads, dips, and as a substitute for mayo. Google hummus recipes and you'll find a bunch of good ones out there - they're all basically the same. It's kind of hard to describe the taste becuase it tastes like, well, hummus - earthy, spicy if you put spices in it. Try some and you just might get hooked! :-)
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like hummus very much. It is made up of chick peas and other such things...I enjoy a sundried tomato and also red pepper hummus. There is a brand called Josephs (I think) that is good. It is good on sandwhiches and wraps, I also eat it with pita chips and crackers or with veggies is good too. Try it, you just might like it! :)
  • smileyred2
    smileyred2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much for all your input, everybody! You make it sound so yummy, I am definitely gonna have to try it! Looking for good things to substitute into my daily food intake! Thanks again! :)
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hummus is a permanent resident in my fridge
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned the main ingredient is chickpeas (also known as garbonzo beans) and tahini (ground up sesame seeds). It frequently also contains garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. You can add various seasonings to change the flavor up too. I like it best on raw veggies like grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, and baby-cut carrots. It also makes a great flavorful spread on sandwiches or wraps.
  • cvricks
    cvricks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yummy! If you like spicy foods.....try the Spicy three pepper or Publix brand Jalepeno and Cilantro....I eat it with sliced cucumbers and red bell pepper!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't care for tahini in my hummus. I use a can of chickpeas (also called garbonzo), 3 tbsp of olive oil, 3 tbsp of lemon juice, and some cumin to season. I love to eat it with pita bread and carrots. I've bought it from the store and have never liked it so I just make my own.