Beginners Workout - Similar to Leslie Sansone

Options
Hi there,

A few a months back I posted this - "So for some background: I’m 25 years old, female, and am fluctuating around 300 lbs. My body as a whole is a “problem area” – but I seem to hold weight most in my tummy and upper arms. I’d like something that works my whole body, but would like some extra work for these localized areas. I don’t have access to a gym membership at this point, and own no equipment at home. I have been walking between 2 to 3 miles a day (trying to make this a routine anyways!) – but I would like to find a routine I can do at home for the days that I’m unable to walk or ideally, to try and incorporate both.

I am willing to purchase a DVD and some small equipment, I just need some guidance as to what has worked for others or sounds appropriate for my circumstance. My concern is that so many workout routines are designed for “already in shape” people, whereas I’m obviously a beginner and need something a little easier and can work my way up."

Most of the responses to that question pointed towards Leslie Sansone, Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, or Zumba. I've been working out using Leslie Sansone's 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk - always doing at least 3 miles each day but sometimes the full 5. I'm really enjoying it and have seen results from it, however would like to add to this routine.

I enjoy Leslie because it's fast paced and I'm never stuck repeating a move so long that I start underestimating myself. I've looked into the 30 day shred but I just can't get into it. The sets seem to go by very slowly (probably because they're more advanced), and Jillian's personality just does nothing for me.

I've thought about trying Zumba, but couldn't find any clips on youtube to really follow along with. Does anyone have a favorite Zumba instructor or DVD?

Overall, I'm looking for a fast paced work out (for a beginner who's pushing herself!) that will keep me moving while still working on some problem areas. Names of instructors or DVDs are appreciated! Thanks!! :)

Replies

• K757B
    K757B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Zumba but I'll tell you some that I have found and hopefully that will give you some ideas. Jessica Smith has fun walking workouts that have some intervals or weight work mixed in. She has several dvds on Amazon and many walks on her youtube channel- look for jessicasmithtv and search for "walks". Definitely check her out! Other than that- Ellen Barrett has many dvds. Hers are "fusion"/"mind body" style with pilates/yoga. I wouldn't call them face paced, but it's gentle, steady state cardio with toning. She doesn't waste any time during the workout. She's one of those love it or hate it instructors so try to preview some workouts to see what you think. I have one made by Weightwatchers called Punch!- it's basically a walking style workout with kickboxing style punches and kicks. It has 3 levels of difficulty. I also like Barre3 workouts. They have a streaming service or you can buy dvds. They are a mix of cardio/light weights/yoga and do a lot of compound moves. They have several short workouts on youtube and 2 full length ones. There's a set called Power Fit by Stephanie Huckabee that uses weights and cardio that might be good for your level. I just bought a new set called The Daniel Plan it's Christian themed and has 8 30-45 min workouts. What I have used so far would probably be the level you would like. There's a lot of workouts on youtube- you just have to look around. I know there are lots of Tae Bo workouts on youtube. Chris Freytag has some walks on youtube (Walk and Sculpt is a good one). Good luck! I hope you find some things that you like as much as Leslie.