"Starvation Mode"

Options
2»

Replies

• StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    We do not call it starvation mode, we call it losing muscle. If you don't eat the right amount of calories for a significant amount of time your body stops burning fat and begins to feed on muscle mass instead. That is the way it was explained to me anyway. But the 1200 calories is not true, the number depends on the person.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Stacey BINGO! that's basically what I was trying to say but my snooze head is in! Fab explanTion!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat the right amount of calories for a significant amount of time your body stops burning fat...

That does not happen until the body is very lean.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Gamer_2k4 wrote: »
    1) Calories are calories, and a deficit, no matter how it's done, is guaranteed to result in weight loss.
    2) Keep your caloric intake above 1200 per day no matter what, because any less and your body enters "starvation mode" and you won't lose weight.

I understand the basis behind both of these claims, easily. What I don't understand is how both can be unequivocally true. ... Both of these rules work as guidelines, sure. But how can they both be completely true?

I'd ask Karen Carpenter, but ... I can't. :cry: There's no such thing as starvation mode. There's just . . . starving.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Oh lordy. So which is true. I've never been a believer in starvation mode.
    So, if you don't eat enough, your metabolism slows down, right or wrong?
    The amount you eat absolutely has an effect, but the "If you eat too little, you will gain weight!" Idea is hogwash. You can't starve yourself into weight gain and you cannot eat your way to skinny.

Many, many people report that if they stall, then eat more for a little while and drop back down, they lose better than if they just stayed the course. Experts even recommend that if you hit a major stall (which happens to a lot of people who spend a long time progressively losing, around six months in average, they say), you should eat more for a few months and then restart the losing.

I was sick of logging and the holidays were arriving and I was in a major stall. I took a break. It was to be a week or two of pigging out, but on Day 2, I wanted my healthier stuff back. (I prefer the real berries to the Crunch Berries now. Yay.) I didn't log and I didn't pay any attention to whether or not it was too many calories, enough protein, etc. Ate what ever and as much as I wanted. I finished my six weeks two pounds up. I went back to logging and losing and it's flying off again.

I don't know what to make of it, if anything, but that's my little experience.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think that people start logging better at their new caloric level. I was sick of logging before I took my Christmas break and have lost three pounds since I came back, brand-new kitchen scale in hand.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome @Kalikel‌ Thank you xx
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
  • gianna729
    Options
    Look, daily suggested intake for a woman = 2000 for a man =2500

As long as you are eating below these and exercising a bit (recommended 3 times a week) you will lose weight.

Any medical profession will tell you to stay above 1200 cal. After that what does it really matter :)

I am 5'6" and 158 lbs, if I eat 2000 calls a day I gain weight. Everybody ... Every body ... Is different.