How many calories should I burn a day?

ashleydanaila
ashleydanaila Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, I need help here :)

I need to loose 20lbs. I am 4' 11" and weight 120. I am also breastfeeding so i don't really want to cut calories. I would say I want to eat at least 2000 cals a day. How many calories a day should i burn to still loose 1lb a week? I of course can try and fit in a 30 min workout somewhere in there also to reach the calories burned but I am constantly running around the house too. To maintain my weight at my height, I need 1600 cals a day. it's tough being short :(

I also just got a fitbit to help with the goal is set!

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I gave myself an extra 500 calories when breastfeeding full time. So your rmr + breastfeeding is around 2000 calories a day. If you want to lose a pound a week, you'd have to cut out 500 calories. That means you eat 1600-1700 + whatever you burn through exercise.

I'd probably aim to burn 200 cal/day exercising and eat around 1800-2000. You can't cut too low or your supply will suffer.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Ok, I need help here :)

I need to loose 20lbs. I am 4' 11" and weight 120. I am also breastfeeding so i don't really want to cut calories. I would say I want to eat at least 2000 cals a day. How many calories a day should i burn to still loose 1lb a week? I of course can try and fit in a 30 min workout somewhere in there also to reach the calories burned but I am constantly running around the house too. To maintain my weight at my height, I need 1600 cals a day. it's tough being short :(

I also just got a fitbit to help with the goal is set!

You're breastfeeding so I think that makes a slight complication here. If you go into too steep of a calorie deficit you can lack micro-nutrients which are important for yourself and your baby, so you want to be cautious. With your stats your maintenance calories are approximately 1,419 and a 5% calorie deficit would be 1,350. I would suggest starting at maintenance but no less than 1,350 to start with. Even somebody not nursing should be trying to lose weight on as many calories as possible. My #1 recommendation would be to consult with your OB or a dietitian experienced in working with nursing mothers.

Congrats on your new-born! :)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    You can't eat 1350 calories and breastfeed. The baby eats 500-600 calories/day directly siphoned off your body.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    annacole94 wrote: »
    You can't eat 1350 calories and breastfeed. The baby eats 500-600 calories/day directly siphoned off your body.

That's really good to know. If the OP is concerned about her nutrition then she should really go to somebody that specializes in this area. I definitely do not specialize in nursing mothers. :)
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Eat at maintenance and create your deficit through exercise. Save the diet for after weaning! Pay attention to your milk supply during this time, if you dip too far into a deficit your milk supply will suffer.