Addicted to Sweet Tea

Options
Hello,
I am on track again to lose more weight, but my one weak area... sweet tea, black or green... I love sweet tea. Any suggestions on alternatives? Honey just doesn't do it for me and those artificial sweeteners leave a funny taste..... any suggestions would be great. Gold Peaks is so good and everyone in my house drinks it and I give in! Thank you

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Get used to the funny taste of artificial sweeteners or drink unsweetened tea. Or just eat less food to accommodate the calories you're drinking.

Otherwise i have no suggestions for you.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    1) Drink a lot less of it.
    2) Prelog it and drink a lot less of it (using it as a reward at the end of the day but fitting it into your daily calories).
    3) Cut it out all together if you can't moderate the drinking of it.

Those are really your only options. Take a look at how much sugar and calories are in sweet tea and see if those calories are worth it. I've never been one to like sweet tea so I drink PLENTY of water. Once a week I'll drink root beer or some other kind of soda as a treat. I'm cutting out carbs in general though, so simple sugars really don't fit into my calories.

Good luck!
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    MIO liquid water enhancer Sweet Tea flavor
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I found the best diet Tea. It is so good. It is Gold Peak diet iced tea. I find it in the tea and juice sections at the store. It tastes just as good as regular ice tea. I love it. It is pricy but it gives me the sweat taste I am looking for.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia. To me, it doesn't have a funny taste.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i was addicted to soda, then switched to sweet tea b/c i can't have corn products. then i was addicted to the sweet tea! i just had to quit. if i have a little, i'll want a lot. LOL as a treat, i'll have some about once a week, but i just drink water now.
  • ForteMom
    ForteMom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I will have to try the diet sweet tea by gold peaks... usually I buy they regular sweet tea anyways. I have tried the truvia and MIO, but ew, they leave a funny taste too. I guess if that doesn't work I must quit all together... thank you for your comments and support.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's like any other food that you enjoy: Keep eating/drinking it, just in smaller quantities.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Growing up in the South I practically had sweet tea in my veins and didn't think I'd ever be able to give it up. Once I started MFP though I got tired of wasting my precious calories on drinks. I was able to go cold turkey though the first week or so was awful. Now I enjoy my tea unsweetened and when I occasionally get it sweet I almost gag at the sugar content. A couple of years ago I started to drift back into sweetened drinks but an article about cancer caught my eye. It was about the Warburg theory which roughly says that cancer thrives by fermentation of sugar. I don't know how true it is but since my family is full of cancer stricken sweet tea drinkers I'm not taking any chances. Good luck in kicking the habit, it's tough but doable!
  • fuzzymop55
    fuzzymop55 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ForteMom wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am on track again to lose more weight, but my one weak area... sweet tea, black or green... I love sweet tea. Any suggestions on alternatives? Honey just doesn't do it for me and those artificial sweeteners leave a funny taste..... any suggestions would be great. Gold Peaks is so good and everyone in my house drinks it and I give in! Thank you

Crystal light makes a sweet tea and it is so good.

• sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my tea with 2 (heaped) teaspoons of sugar in each cup - sometimes as many as 10 cups per day! Now if I have even half a teaspoon of sugar in my tea it tastes incredibly sweet and really gross!

I started by cutting the sugar down 1/2 a teaspoon at a time. After a few weeks you'll get used to it (it is hard at first!) and can cut down some more.

You're in this for the long haul, right? Slowly but surely!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    You are not "addicted" to it. You say that to yourself so you have a ready excuse to have one. Break that habit. Stop thinking it's an "addiction"
  • druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is make regular black iced tea in the pitcher, pour it over ice and add a small "splash" of simply lemonade. 1 oz of lemonade is like 15 calories. It sweetens it, but not too much.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I used to love the sweet tea at Chick-fil-a. Instead of ordering a sweet tea there, I ask them to mix it with half sweet, half unsweetened tea. Gradually back down on the sweetness and pretty soon, you won't miss the sugar! ;)
  • theoryofempire
    Options
    Gold peak makes one that is made with splenda, honestly, I can't tell the difference in terms of taste. My favorite is by Red Diamond. Black sweet tea with splenda, and it by far tastes the best. For only $2/gal, I'd say give it a try. It's sooooooo tasy.
  • theoryofempire
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You are not "addicted" to it. You say that to yourself so you have a ready excuse to have one. Break that habit. Stop thinking it's an "addiction"

And sugar is addicting. Just like quitting gluten or smoking, the body will crave it. I don't think she's looking for an excuse, she's looking for help.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    another food addiction post? Put some mint leaves in it. Probably not as good though
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

And sugar is addicting. Just like quitting gluten or smoking, the body will crave it. I don't think she's looking for an excuse, she's looking for help.

Where is that eye-rolling emoticon when I need it?

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Where is that eye-rolling emoticon when I need it?

The addiction model is a useful model.

OP if you feel addicted you have to eliminate. That's your only choice with the addiction model.

If you want to use the CICO model, then you need to substitute the calories with non-calories, such as water or non-cal sweetners in the tea.

It's up to you to decide which model is best for you, but either way you have to make a choice.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    ForteMom wrote: »
    Hello,

Red diamond diet, and arizona canned green tea zero. Yummy