what to cook when you dont want to cook?

Options
2»

Replies

• lisakirt
    lisakirt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm big on grilled meat and salad. Throw some seasoning at the meat of your choice, chuck it on the grill. While it's cooking, throw raw veg at a plate, drizzle with dressing of choice, add meat, eat.

It's our go-to a couple times a week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    oh, like right now, I'm a bit bushed from my workout.

I'll cook up an old fashioned at times like that.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use my airfryer...a chicken breast and some chopped veges, coated in sweet chilli or olive oil and all in together. Prep time is under 5 minutes. You can do the same thing in the oven.
  • bonnieh1638
    bonnieh1638 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Veggie-cabbage soup without meat,but lots &lots of frozen,fresh or canned veggies.A serving of 1 &1/2 C is about 150 cals.According to how hungry I am,might have a sandwich or crackers & cheese to go with.The soup is filling & homemade. Very quick to heat & I most always have soup in the fridge.
    Another filling meal is to micro a large potato,then top with whatever you like.Add a quick salad if you want.
    When you are tired of it all,a bowl of cereal will fill you up :D

Do you have a recipe for this? I love soup during the winter months.
  • lydia8117
    Options
    Veggie omelet.....1 whole egg + 3 whites, with whatever veggies are in the fridge. If I've got the calories to spare, a dollop of guacamole on top. :)
  • lisakirt
    Options
    I find it hard sometimes for myself when I just want to make the kids hot dogs and kraft dinner..after a long day at work..than to think of something quick for myself as well
  • jvmay1703
    jvmay1703 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    tonight I got a bagged ceasar salad, grilled and ready chicken strips- 3-5 minutes and then wrapped chicken and the salad stuff (no croutons) in a low carb wrap. Not sure how healthy but it is quick.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker! Invest and use.

• nmluna
    nmluna Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Working swing shift I tend to have a few "grab and go" meals that are needed. I found that I like to buy frozen grilled/chopped chicken breast and some bags of steamable veggies. Microwave each and toss in a bowl together. Wa-la a healthy quick meal. :)

But I also agree on meal planning - that has saved me TONS. I do two weeks at a time. I also make sure to keep quick foods on hand. Things like a Jelly sandwich or a protein bar. Since I know I will have these "grab and go" days I make sure to plan for them.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana on toast, quesadilla, Lox on toast with light cream cheese.

I feel best when I have a full salad spinner in the fridge, with prewashed and spun green leaf or romaine, as well as a baked chicken breast. This way I can quickly make any number of low cal/high protein salads.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Crock pot everything!!!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    lisakirt wrote: »
    Easy quick fast.? Is there any healthier options when you just don't want to cook a healthy meal? A grab and go kinda thing that will be good for a supper?

If I don't have anything on hand from a bulk meal prep, I love having pitas, pasta sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperonis on hand. Five minutes to prep a pita pizza, 10 minutes to bake, and only 15 more minutes if I want another one.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Egg drop soup is pretty quick and easy, and filling. Make chicken broth using a bouillon cube, then stir in lightly mixed eggs. Add fresh scallions on top, a splash of sesame oil (if you have some) and/or hot chile oil (if you like spice!) and you're good to go.

If you want some meat in the soup, add in those precooked slabs of pink fish cake (the kind in udon and ramen soups) or imitation crab meat sticks (like the ones from sushi restaurants). Yes, I keep that stuff in my fridge. I'm Asian -- don't judge! ;)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like canned soup (Progresso has a Light line with a ton of great choices) with some frozen veggies thrown in for bulk and nutrients. It takes about five minutes and all you do is empty a can into a pot, pour in some veggies, and walk away for a little bit. If you want the same concept but more "homemade," you can throw some lentils (or rice or pasta or whatever), bouillon cubes, and frozen veggies into a pot with however much water the lentils need and walk away for twenty minutes.

Stir-fries are easy, too. I buy chicken tenderloins, chop them into about eight pieces, and throw them in a skillet with frozen veggies, fish sauce, tarragon vinegar, and spices. Done in about 10 minutes if you don't crowd the pan. Also a quick-fried veggie burger on a sandwich thin with a little hot sauce and a side of... sing it with me, audience... steamed frozen veggies. I guess my point is that you should keep frozen vegetables on hand.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    lisakirt wrote: »
    I find it hard sometimes for myself when I just want to make the kids hot dogs and kraft dinner..after a long day at work..than to think of something quick for myself as well

Why would you make the kids hotdogs instead of taking some time out earlier in the week to cook everyone a healthy, well-balanced meal?
  • lisakirt
    Options
    Because kids enjoy hotdogs once in awhile..they are kids..
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Tacos. Heat pan on stove, dice garlic and onion, add olive oil, throw in the garlic and onion, brown it for a bit, throw in your meat or veggies, brown that for a bit, throw it all on some small corn tortillas, add a little avocado slice and some hot sauce on each taco, wham bam thank you mam.

If I'm feeling really lazy and don't want to dice the garlic and onion (which is the only consuming part of that recipe), a toasted bagel with herb & garlic cream cheese or a smoothie call my name.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Usually when I don't want to cook, I drizzle oil and spices over some type of vegetable(s) and meat/fish and roast them. Total time to eat is about 30-60 min but prep time is about 5 min.

This is what I do.

But we also usually have some soup in the freezer or refrigerator because I make batches on the weekends.