Getting Concerned!!!

Options
I noticed the beginning of this week after working out and sweating up a storm I smell this very strong ammonia odor through my nose. When I workout I'm a mouth breather so I don't notice it unil a few minutes after I'm done. It literally smells like someone poured a bottle of ammonia in a sick and I'm standing next to it with the door closed. I googled it and some websites said its an early sign of kidney failure other websites say its normal after a hard work out. I hope it the latter!! I did call my Dr but she probably won't get back to me until tomorrow. My workouts have not changed other than I bumped the elliptical to 8 the last 10 minutes of the workout and I started walking 3 miles a few times a week. I'm just curious if anyone has experienced this or has any ideas.

Thank you so much in advance. I value everyones thoughts and opinions :flowerforyou: :happy:

Samantha

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Normal after a hard workout. Don't worry about it. It actually goes away the fitter you get.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive had it happen to me,but only in the morning when I would work out before drinking any water.Heres some links I found when I was curious.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is kidney failure. I get it too from time to time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130067-my-sweat-s-smelling-like-ammonia
  • decu68
    decu68 Posts: 78
    Options
    If a growing concern, go see your doctor. Internet advise can be good but you never want to overlook something just because people say it is not an issue. At least you may get peace of mind.
  • sweetlilgiggles
    sweetlilgiggles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If a growing concern, go see your doctor. Internet advise can be good but you never want to overlook something just because people say it is not an issue. At least you may get peace of mind.

Best advice I've seen yet. I sometimes smell it if I don't drink enough water before working out and I work out first thing in the morning before I eat. It could be just sweat, but you really should go see your doctor if it's really concerning you. Better to waste the copay and time going to your doctor and find out it's nothing than to not go and find out later on.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It is not normal, or at least shouldn't be. It is your body breaking down muscle to provide enough energy. I used to get it when I was borderline anorexic. You need to eat more carbs to fuel your workouts, and more protein to rebuild the muscles you are breaking down.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've read it's common if you eat a LOT of protein, but check with your doctor.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue at various times in my life and I did notice that being better hydrated and/or in better shape seems to have helped. I don't smell it while working out anymore but sometimes smell it a bit in the post workout shower. It is more prevalent in people who are doing low carb diets too. Never hurts to check with your doc on anything that seems new or "not normal for you" though. Just don't *worry* about it. :)