Any advice on Heart Rate Monitor for 2015

Options
SuwadeeNitta
SuwadeeNitta Posts: 5 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Aloha from Hawaii!!

Anyway, I really need your help. I'm looking for an accurate heart rate monitor. I have polar right now and happy with the accuracy of it...only one problem is that putting on chest strap can be quite a hassle.

I go jogging on regular basis, I use polar HRM with chest strap and use nike run+ app for gps tracking.

Can you recommend any accurate heart rate monitor without chest strap? Or should I wait for now?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Accuracy is a bit misleading, as they are all just estimates and some estimates will be fairly close, others will be way off.

My advice - if you have one that you are happy with, look at your typical burn. 8cals per minute? 5? 11? Figure out your average on a typical run course, and use that moving forward. It's likely to be as accurate as anything, then you aren't tied to a device every time you want to run.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I use Zephyr HRM with chest strap and use the SportsTrackerLive app
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use polar wearlink+. I love it. Keep in mind factors like hydration status, stress and sleep deficits can skew the reading. Don't neglect the perceived effort index just because you're using an HRM.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I love my Scosche Rhythm+ HRM. Have been using it for 7 months now. Straps on my upper forearm near the elbow over a vein. I sync it to my phone with the Digifit app. Only troubles I have had are with the phone (GPS signal or battery). No problems at all with the HRM.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    None of these are really accurate. The Fitbit Charge-HR includes a HR monitor without a strap for around $140.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stick with polar. RC3 is great for me. The GPS accuracy is within .05 and the cycle feature is great with mph.

The heart strap is the most accurate reading for HR monitor. It's worth the hassle.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Can you recommend any accurate heart rate monitor without chest strap? Or should I wait for now?

Accurate for Heart Rate or for calorie burn?
    For heart rate, those with a chest strap are considered much more accurate.
  • jasongrant777
    Options
    I use the Fitbit charge HR. It has always been dead on with my doctor's equipment.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I use a mio alpha which synced with my Android phone. Ive tested its accuracy and it is fine. Never liked the chest strap.
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin VivoSmart with chest strap - I just got it and so far I love it (it's more than just an HRM though - you should check it out). Prior to that I used a Polar FT4 and before that a Polar FT7. I would recommend any of them.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you don't want a chest strap, you're pretty much limited to the Mio line of products, TomTom Cardio, or the Schosche Rhythm+ for an arm mounted optical HR sensor that is accurate for counting beats (all use the same line of optical sensors). The downside is cost for the only one with a readout ... around $200 for the Mio Alpha .... and the fact optical HR sensors must be worn tightly for accurate readings. By tight, think leaving imprints long after you take it off for most people.

• FitCattitude
    FitCattitude Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Strapless Fitbit Surge isn't presently good for HiiT or weight training, and not fully waterproof (just had to sell it on, with these details in the advert). Used Polar FT4 before that, and always reliable. The Polar V800 I've got now is brilliant. Heart strap, but softer. Would recommend trying to get away with the strap, as the readings are much more reliable.
  • debchabot2
    debchabot2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any one have comments on a good HR monitor for someone who mostly does spin classes? Some outdoor activities but here in Alaska for the winter, more indoor stuff.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge HR. I also have an old Garmin FR60 (a dinosaur) that does HR with a chest stap. I got tired of the uncomfortable chest strap. HR seems to be pretty accurate with the fitbit. Their app and website is much easier to navigate than Garmin's and right now (and for a while now) Garmin has not been syncing to MFP where the fitbit does easily.