Any suggestions for things to do in NYC when your broke?

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
I'm going to NY this July for the first time in my life (from AZ, never even been on the east coast!). We are going to stay 2 days (well more like 1 1/2 since we won't get there till the afternoon the first day).

I need suggestions on what to do when you don't have a lot of money. lol

I also need suggestions for getting around (because the few people I've mentioned the notion of driving our own car looked like I was talking about murder or something haha).

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    dont drive a car! use the subway!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Okay this is going to sound TOTALLY lame, but since I'm trying to plan on a budget, how much is it to take the subway lol.
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't drive that is for sure. I would just take the Metro and walk mostly everywhere. There are plenty of sight seeing opportunities without spending too much money. I would defintely recommend going to the top of the Empire State Bldg for sure. It is amazing!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Take the subway to get around. Cheaper than cabs there.

Walk to get around.

Eat at small little cafes and markets to save $$.

Check out yelp.com so you can find places walking distance to where you are staying. You can be in NY for days and not spend a ton. Even walking around window shopping and people watching is a blast. You can also catch a show in a small club to save $ Vs seeing something on Broadway.

NYC is a great city!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    the subway is a few $ here and there. Cheapest way to get around. Don't take cabs and don't drive yourself.
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    It is 2.50 per ride so it is really cheaper just to buy a 7 day pass:

7-Day Unlimited Pass
    Cost: $29, reduced fare $14.50
    Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    People watch in Times Square. Visit Central Park, its absolutely awesome.
  • daniface
    Options
    and suggestions...a lot of musems like the MoMa, which is AWESOME have student discounts [ even if you are not currently a student bring your id card and use it] at the natural history museum you only have to pay a donation to get in, and that can be whatever amount you wish to give. have fun and get a subway map!! the metro will get you everywhere you need to go.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Empire State Bldg, Zoo, Central Park, Times Square...also walk around once your in those places and you start walking your gonna find tons to do
  • MisterSixer
    MisterSixer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey, definately do not take the car. The subway bus system is the most extensive and will take you anywhere in NYC for $2.25. Some free/cheap things to do: take a trip on the Staten Island Ferry, Museum of Natural History, Central Park , Ground Zero, MoMa, Broadway, South Street Seaport, walk around the West Village and Soho. Walk everywhere!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    they have day passes for the subway or walk. I walked from ground zero to central park and had a great time also got my exercise in at the same time.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Thanks so much! When I told my friends about my trip they really made it sound like we wouldn't be able to do anything!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am going to echo what everyone else said, do not drive into the city. subways are cheap...but why would you want to be underground. when you can walk and see everything!!

Free things to do.
    walk around central park
    walk down battery park (west side)
    walk around soho/west village/lower east side and window shop
    walk down 5th ave
    people watch
    go to FAO swartz
    go to times square
    If you want to spend the money go to the empire state building or the statue of liberty.
    the zoo (in central park)
    sit on the step of the museums on 5th a watch the world go by
    go to rockerfeller plaza
    stand outside of the Today Show !! might get a free music show too !
  • Lisone
    Lisone Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Rent bikes in Central Park and ride around... SO FUN! Especially if it's a beauitful and sunny day.
    Hang out in Times Square.. people watch, go to the HUGE Toy Store there and look around.. and visit the Naked Cowboy!
  • Cortni27
    Cortni27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Buy a NYC Entertainment Book- they are usually only about $15 this time of year and they have great discounts! My husband and I went to NYC two years ago in June and we took an awesome boat cruise around Manhattan Island with a buy one get one free coupon from the Entertainment book so it only cost us $30! We also went to a taping of the David Letterman show- that was free! You just have to request tickets from their website before hand. If you are a TV buff, which we were, I'd say it's definitely worth it to take the NBC studio tour. You get to see the SNL set, the Jimmy Fallon set, and various others. I think it's like $15 a person or something, but it was one of the highlights of our trip. But other than that, most of the touristy things that you just want to see are free- Central Park, Rockefeller Center, TImes Square, Grand Central Station, Ground Zero, etc. You can just look at free stuff the entire time! :)
  • daniface
    Options
    Thanks so much! When I told my friends about my trip they really made it sound like we wouldn't be able to do anything!

NOT TRUE! there are so many poor people in new york city hahaha
  • nlhawthorne
    nlhawthorne Posts: 34
    Options
    Subway is definitely the best way to get around - NY is a nightmare to drive in. The best free things we did were walking over the Brooklyn Bridge (take the subway to Brooklyn and walk back towards Manhattan - awesome views) and exploring Central Park. Other than that just exploring the different neighbourhoods is great, e.g. Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Williamsburg in Brooklyn, etc.

A great place to get tips and hints for your trip is the TripAdvisor NYC forum - there are great FAQs down the right-hand side of the page and if you still have questions you can search all the previous threads on the forums... and of course ask your own questions. It really helped us plan our trip!
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York_City_New_York.html
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I could spend a whole day in central park and that's free. You can wander around and listen to street musicians for free too. The museums are fairly cheap. I also highly recommend looking into taking walking tours of the city. They are fairly inexpensive and you learn sooooo much. Make sure to visit the strand bookstore and the new york public library. There are some off broadway plays that are not too ridiculous as well.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Rent bikes in Central Park and ride around... SO FUN! Especially if it's a beauitful and sunny day.
    Hang out in Times Square.. people watch, go to the HUGE Toy Store there and look around.. and visit the Naked Cowboy!

LOL I Totally forgot about the Naked Cowboy....
  • Adaelion
    Adaelion Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Best places to visit in NYC if you're low in funds are
    the garden in central park
    fao schwartz
    south street seaport
    the staten island ferry
    rockefeller center
    times square
    the intrepid
    statue of liberty