Im addicted to unhealthy foods, HELP!

Options
All my life I've been on the heavy size. But since the birth of my baby girl, my weight has sky rocketed. I'm a stay at home mom, with a pretty sedentary life style At home all I can think about is food, day and night. At night is when its worst. I'm constantly eating and can't seem to stop. I feel horrible about t body, but I can't seem to stop. Does anyone know what steps I can take to stop my over eating?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get busy! Put that baby girl in a stroller and roll woman! Eat at a deficit and you'll lose. Go get it!
  • isamaryalmonte
    isamaryalmonte Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    enter your info into MFP and set it for one pound per week loss.

you do not need to restrict food and think of it as 'good' and 'bad' ….Eat the foods that you love now just eat less of them, and make sure that you hit the calorie number that MFP gives you.

I would also suggest getting a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat…

try to go full fat/high protein foods as those will make you feel satiated….
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Here is a place to start. Check out the other threads located at the top of this forum:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • JulieOnesti
    Options
    For me, thermogenics that supress the appetite really helped me stop obcessing about food.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For me, thermogenics that supress the appetite really helped me stop obcessing about food.

Say what?
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options

What is this?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you do not need to restrict food and think of it as 'good' and 'bad' ….Eat the foods that you love now just eat less of them, and make sure that you hit the calorie number that MFP gives you.

I would also suggest getting a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything that you eat…

This
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »

This

Vote #3 for MFP and for getting out of the house, with baby in tow, to stay away from "bored eating"! Go to the park, stroll around the block, walk around a Target/WalMart/local mall if you don't have a good outside place to walk...

To use MyFitnessPal (MFP) to log calories in and calories out, click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you good information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose weight. You can lose weight without feeling like you are starving all the time. Good luck! :)

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Check out Leslie Sansone on YouTube. She has low impact "walks" you can do in the house. It makes my day go by faster and I get more calories from the workout. I go all out when I do her five mile fat burning walk (I look like a madwoman) and burn over 500 calories in an hour. I also eat all the foods I love, just less of them with a focus on protein. There are great low calorie protein powder recipes online. I had a chocolate mug cake that tasted like heaven for under 200 calories today. Also look into weight training, even if it's your own body weight. There are also awesome free videos online for that as well.

• joyceagbonson
    joyceagbonson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend taking pills to curb your appetite because it's not a long term solution. I agree with most of the posts here, high protein, eat low glycemic carbs and most importantly drink plenty of water. Thirst is mistaken for hunger a lot. ( I also found small amounts of drinking 0 calorie fizzy drinks after a meal useful gives more of a feeling of being full, for me anyways)
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's going to be brutal to stop all that snacking cold turkey. I suggest just looking what you eat at first, but don't change your habits until you see exactly what you're eating and when. Then, once you see where your problem areas are, start making changes. Logging everything you eat definetely makes you think about mindless eating. I also suggest making swaps and loading up your fridge/ pantry with better for you foods. That way you have go-to snacks when the urge hits. If chocolate is your thing, try sugar free pudding cups. Instead of ice cream, try Popsicles or frozen greek yogurt. Instead of chips eat light popcorn. Eat more fruits to fill you up, and veggies with your meals. Sometime I just have an urge to chew and not necessarily eat, so gum can help distract you until the urge passes. Speaking of distraction, that's a big one too. Instead of eating, take a bath, paint your nails, do some housework, go for a stroll, play some video games. I don't suggest tv because that's when many people get the urge to eat. I'm a stay at home mama too, so I know how hard it is to have all day access to the kitchen. Work those calories into your goal, and you'll lose weight. I eat either no breakfast or a very small one, a light lunch and then load my calories towards dinner and night time because I know that's when my cravings kick in and my willpower is low. That works for me, but find something that works for you. It can take experimentation and adjustments to find something that works for you. Good luck! Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • emilyrigh
    emilyrigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    TBH I struggled with this for a long time up until recently. What I did? I started cooking for myself, making sure I had "healthier" food around me all the time. I tried new recipes which are actually quite delicious. Bought a food scale that measures ounces and grams. Logging on MFP, making sure I hit my calorie goal every time. Bought a heart rate monitor so I could accurately measure how many calories I would burn (MFP isn't accurate at all) Started a training program and made myself stick to it.
    I'm not too far into my journey but I've lost some weight/inches. My stomach and body feel so much better from being fed better, nutritious food. I still eat those "unhealthy" foods in portions once in a while but I find myself wanting them less and less.

My last bit of advice, add people on here. They'll keep you motivated and you'll keep them motivated too. :)
  • miminchau
    Options
    It's going to be brutal to stop all that snacking cold turkey. I suggest just looking what you eat at first, but don't change your habits until you see exactly what you're eating and when. Then, once you see where your problem areas are, start making changes. Logging everything you eat definetely makes you think about mindless eating. I also suggest making swaps and loading up your fridge/ pantry with better for you foods. That way you have go-to snacks when the urge hits. If chocolate is your thing, try sugar free pudding cups. Instead of ice cream, try Popsicles or frozen greek yogurt. Instead of chips eat light popcorn. Eat more fruits to fill you up, and veggies with your meals. Sometime I just have an urge to chew and not necessarily eat, so gum can help distract you until the urge passes. Speaking of distraction, that's a big one too. Instead of eating, take a bath, paint your nails, do some housework, go for a stroll, play some video games. I don't suggest tv because that's when many people get the urge to eat. I'm a stay at home mama too, so I know how hard it is to have all day access to the kitchen. Work those calories into your goal, and you'll lose weight. I eat either no breakfast or a very small one, a light lunch and then load my calories towards dinner and night time because I know that's when my cravings kick in and my willpower is low. That works for me, but find something that works for you. It can take experimentation and adjustments to find something that works for you. Good luck! Feel free to send me a friend request!

Great advice! I suggest looking going on a juice cleanse to help you get rid of the toxin ans reduce the cravings for bad food. You can lose anywhere from 5-10 lbs after the cleanse. I suggest doing a 5 days cleanse. Lmk if you have any other questions!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Thorsmom05 wrote: »

This

Vote #3 for MFP and for getting out of the house, with baby in tow, to stay away from "bored eating"! Go to the park, stroll around the block, walk around a Target/WalMart/local mall if you don't have a good outside place to walk...

To use MyFitnessPal (MFP) to log calories in and calories out, click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you good information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose weight. You can lose weight without feeling like you are starving all the time. Good luck! :)

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Vote #4 for all this, plus what the lovely Lis suggested.
    You can do this,OP!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    miminchau wrote: »

Great advice! I suggest looking going on a juice cleanse to help you get rid of the toxin ans reduce the cravings for bad food. You can lose anywhere from 5-10 lbs after the cleanse. I suggest doing a 5 days cleanse. Lmk if you have any other questions!

OP, please don't "cleanse." It's a fad.

Get out with your baby! Go for a walk inside or out, or sign up for a mom/baby class.

Or, if you are concerned about flu and RSV season (a real concern with newborns, I had one of mine hospitalized with RSV, it's no joke!) Find some at-home exercises you can do with or without baby. (There are some fun baby-and-me ones out there, too)

You say you snack at night, is this after baby goes to bed? I know for me, when mine were little, I didn't get much to eat when they were awake all day, and that coupled with a nursing mom's appetite made me RAVENOUS in the evening. Stock up on some healthy lower calorie foods if that's what's happening to you. If you feel like your snacking is partly boredom/stress relief, think about other hobby activities you could do in that time in order to wind down and nurture yourself without eating. I personally can't work out that late or I'll never sleep, so I usually knit or sew in the evening. If you do any kind of handwork or like a craft, after baby's bedtime is a great time for it, and nobody wants their nice yarn/fabric/scrapbook paper to get snack goobers on it, so no nibbles!
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Yeah, just make sure you don't die. Good grief.

Caffeine, ephedrine and of course the holy grail; DNP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenics

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wake up to yourself and take control

Seriously exercise some will power and take it one day at a time
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing the name of these thermogenics
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that you might be suffering from postpartum depression? You mentioned since the birth of your baby you have especially struggled. When my depression rears its ugly head I tend to comfort eat. A visit to the doctor might be a good place to start. {{{hugs}}}