Grocery Shopping List

Options
I'm getting some ideas for recipes and meals and am going grocery shopping after work, so I can begin logging all my food and exercise starting tomorrow. Any items that you guys buy as a "must have on hand" type of thing that I should be adding to my list? Thanks!

Replies

• SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I LOVE bell peppers! In salad, mixed in cottage cheese, or just as a snack. I buy them constantly.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Depends on your taste really. For me, I would say oats, flaxseed meal, & frozen berries for making oatmeal, beans, whole wheat bread, salad + good salad dressing, frozen vegetables, whole chicken breasts, wild-caught salmon, and some fruits like apples, oranges, bananas are all staples for me.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    SBHWeav wrote: »
    I LOVE bell peppers! In salad, mixed in cottage cheese, or just as a snack. I buy them constantly.

+1

Great source of vitamin C, and very versatile.

I always have apples, blueberries and oatmeal on hand.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tuna, strawberries, grapes, eggs, peanut butter, peanuts, almonds, quest bars, string cheese, cottage cheese, salmon, black beans, chickpeas, brown rice, sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, almond milk, flax seeds, green beans, iced tea, kale, ham, turkey.
  • kbstephens24
    kbstephens24 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a big staple for me. You can add it to almost any meal and you won't taste a thing. I mix it in my eggs and pasta dishes. I also always make sure I have almonds and walnuts at work to snack on. And ground turkey is a favorite of mine. :)
  • CatJill86
    CatJill86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I found A LOT of my recipes on the website theskinnytaste.com there are MANY recipes and all low cal low carb and she gives you ALL the nutrition info you need for each recipe! I found a homemade ranch recipe on there that is only 1 point for 2 tblsps!!!! Check it out!!
  • littlebabooshka
    littlebabooshka Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt - plain and flavored, 0% fat. It is great as a sour cream substitute (plain one) and for a snack (fruit mixed in).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    We always buy bell peppers, green onion, salad greens (I like the ones with the root still attached), tomatoes, broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, yellow onion, and Dole bagged "Chop Chop" salad for produce. I get low-fat goat cheese, veggie ground round, no-nitrate bacon, and extra-old cheddar in the deli. Eggs and sour cream in the dairy. We get tons of frozen fish, too (land-locked area so fresh isn't fresh.) And I always buy hard pretzels,
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I buy in catagories, "dairy" "proteins" "starches/grains" "fruits" "veggies" "seasoning/sauces" and "treats" and I make my meals out those things. I have a blog post on it if you want to check it out.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs too! I'm a dark meat lover.
    I love roasted eggplant as well as the other veggies mentioned.
    I always get my weekly supply of chocolate. I really enjoy Alter Eco dark quinoa organic chocolate-it's like a nestle crunch bar but more delish! The quinoa in it is crispy!
    I love lentil soup and make it frequently in the winter.
    I always buy canned San marzano tomatoes, garlic and onion for my pasta sauces.
    Dark green olive oil.
    Pacific Red Pepper and Tomato Soup-yum.
    Popcorn-Skinny Pop or Fit Parmesan and Herb
    Sardines
    Canned wild salmon
    Lots of broccoli
    Olives
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Bulk chicken
    Reduced steaks (I can get them for next to nothing because they're 2 days before the sell by date)
    Skim milk
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Spring mix
    Cherub tomatoes
    Pita bread
    Mozzarella
    Pepperoni
    Pasta sauce
    Olive oil
    Garlic cloves
    Onions
    Red potatoes

....I eat a lot, haha. These are the things I regularly buy each month.
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Avocados! Great source of healthy fats and fiber :) Just go easy on them because they are high in calories. Also, my new obsession is "chia seeds". I can't remember where I first heard about them, but they are awesome!
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I always have chicken breast, greek yogurt, almonds, oatmeal and bags of frozen veggies on hand.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    A few musts that are always on my list

Avocados
    Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Carrots
    Onions
    Garlic
    Cilantro
    Iceberg lettuce
    Oranges or clementines (season dependent)
    Limes
    Pineapple
    Frozen mango
    Unsweetened dairy-free milk (I alternate between almond and coconut)
    Olive oil (for cooking, and I make my own spicy oil)
    Organic white corn tortillas (I'm Mexican, so I make a lot of tacos)